So 3+ month after official release, AMD where is my driver?

Igg

[H]ard|Gawd
So it's been 3 months.

Is this too much to ask ?
If AMD doesn't deliver, this will be the last set of high end graphics card I'll buy from AMD.

EyefinityBezelcomp.png

Early street release and first to come out with next gen hardware but without the software to drive it is useless. IF Nvidia can do non matching EID bezel compensation for the last generation, why can't you?

Mean while, they're talking about alphabet soup AA again for 12.4, seriously, who the fuck cares?

Just get your INITIAL FEATURE SET working FULLY first eh?

The current driver situation is weird. We got no 12.2 drivers in February -- what's up with that?

The no 12.2 is, as far as i know, an issue with the speed of the certification process, that is why they linked the pre-certified ones instead of calling them beta, and according to the Catalyst Creator dude they will be out sometime this week.

I returned my 7950 do to this and the fact that I am unable to wake from sleep.Even if sleep is disabled and the monitor shuts off the display driver crashes.

Might sound crazy.. but I wonder if AMD is waiting for kepler before releasing optimized drivers for 7970. damn conspiracies.

Might sound crazy.. but I wonder if AMD is waiting for kepler before releasing optimized drivers for 7970. damn conspiracies.
Unlikely. The loss to their reputation wouldn't be worth whatever extra money they might make. Plus, they will likely have to drop prices once NVIDIA releases their cards, which will cut into their profit margin, making those sales less desirable. They would be best off release amazing drivers now, to sway anyone who is sitting on the fence while the product is still at full MSRP.

2 months to get official drivers for a $600 GPU? Yeah, I agree with the OP's working on the thread title/subjet-line ;)

I am pretty sure when it is justified. All is well. The admins do a good job here.

Agreed. Fix this shit.

I've only had my card for 4 days and its annoying the crap out of me. I feel for the ones that have had it for 3 months.

Might not be a bad idea to start up a log of quotes of peoples comments on this and send it over AMD's way. I've read countless comments about people never going back and selling their 7970's because of the lack of driver support. I myself have a 7970 on the way right now and I'm really hoping something happens soon with the drivers. Just a thought to try and help us all out instead of just complaining. Gotta be proactive.

Well, I really hate how I am not getting full performance out of my 7970s. In 90% of games, I'm only getting 75% to 85% utilization on both cards in CF. Even if I disable crossfire, with one card I sometimes only get 90%. My system is fully capable of getting 100% utilization, but the drivers have been terrible. I can't wait to see a driver that ups the performance of CF 7970s, because it'll feel like a free upgrade.

Well, I really hate how I am not getting full performance out of my 7970s. In 90% of games, I'm only getting 75% to 85% utilization on both cards in CF. Even if I disable crossfire, with one card I sometimes only get 90%. My system is fully capable of getting 100% utilization, but the drivers have been terrible. I can't wait to see a driver that ups the performance of CF 7970s, because it'll feel like a free upgrade.

But is it really an issue for you?
Based on your sig, you're only running 1080p, so I don't think there's any game out there that would give your single 7970 an issue at that resolution.

Based on your sig, you're only running 1080p, so I don't think there's any game out there that would give your single 7970 an issue at that resolution.

This, I game at a simple 1080p, with just one monitor, and I've had zero problems with the release driver that came with the card. I feel for those doing crossfire or those trying exotic eyefinity setups, but the current drivers work just fine for the most part on single card solutions.

Agreed, when I was running a single 7970, I had very few issues and the majority of games ran fine at the highest settings at 2560x1440, but since I went CFx, things aren't quite as smooth, so I have a reason to vent, but I'm not because I'm fairly satisfied and know this is typical of any bleeding edge technology.

I get artifacts in Counter-Strike... Tried ALL drivers (betas and everything) and they all do the same thing. CS is the ONLY thing that artifacts and this happens at stock clocks.

Sad days...

Don't disagree with you on the lateness as I myself have posted a number of times including emailing Carrell Killebrew directly, but it needs to be edited out of your criticism of Catalyst 12.3.

Except when I'm running on 8xAA and 16xAF with MSAA and I'm not getting full performance, and I'm still getting meh frames, that's a driver issue.

Stop buying new tech out the door? NVIDIA does the same thing, it is nothing new, price you pay for jumping on new tech

It sucks, it should work out of the box, but we as consumers just bend over and take this beta shit.

Except when I'm running on 8xAA and 16xAF with MSAA and I'm not getting full performance, and I'm still getting meh frames, that's a driver issue.

Get used to it, SSAA has been broken since at least the 6950 launch.
I had an unlocked 6950 2gb to 900/1475 (until I went with a gtx 580 a month or so ago) and in every game I played I was NEVER able to play past 2x SSAA no matter which game.
Even league of legends would be laggy (15-30 fps) with 4x SSAA.
A friend with similar rig (I have a 2500k at 4.8ghz and he has a 2600k at 4.9 while the rest is very similar) with a gtx 480 he was able to run Rift with SSAA (in game option) at 50-60fps while I would get below 30fps with the same settings.
Same thing with World of tank, Star wars old republic and BF3.

Now with my gtx 580 I run most games at 16x CSAA (or 32x depending on how demanding the game is) with 8x sparse grid super sampling (which is supposed to be even better then normal super sampling). It is hard to believe how much better the image quality is (not because its nvidia but because of the higher AA)
Gotta love nvidia Inspector for all the extra AA modes !

I have not seen any performance gain from drivers for SSAA of the whole time I had my 6950 (~10months) and that is why I bought a gtx 580 instead of a 7950/7970 and so far I'm happy with my choice and might do SLI when prices on the 580 drop some more (or maybe go kepler).

Last edited:
Even league of legends would be laggy (15-30 fps) with 4x MSAA.

Uhh something was very wrong with your system with this statement, as i can do that with a 6850...

And i dont mean only LoL but just in general.

Uhh something was very wrong with your system with this statement, as i can do that with a 6850...

And i dont mean only LoL but just in general.

whoops meant to talk about super sampling and not multi sampling :(

I edited the previous post to reflect that

I returned my 7950 do to this and the fact that I am unable to wake from sleep.Even if sleep is disabled and the monitor shuts off the display driver crashes.

do?

lol.

7970 drivers have been rock solid for me since day one. the only thing that makes them crash for me is when i overclock beyond my cards potential. as always on the internet, you hear more about the bad experiences than the good...

i run eyefinity and single 1080p too!

3 months after release? by my count its only been about 60 days.

do?

lol.

7970 drivers have been rock solid for me since day one. the only thing that makes them crash for me is when i overclock beyond my cards potential. as always on the internet, you hear more about the bad experiences than the good...

i run eyefinity and single 1080p too!

3 months after release? by my count its only been about 60 days.

What, wheren't you able to buy your card prior to december 6, just like OP was? :D:p

Nice catch of that, i just didn't care because Igg tends to exagerate quite a bit.

What, wheren't you able to buy your card prior to december 6, just like OP was? :D:p

Nice catch of that, i just didn't care because Igg tends to exagerate quite a bit.
Sorry if you guys sit down and count the exact days. It was launch in december, paper or hard launches makes no difference to me, if you launch it, you better damn have your ducks in a row.

It's now almost april and still no drivers.

You suckers defend AMD all you want, I'm calling them out for bull shit.

is there any update to the original post? I have a 7970 coming and I have three different sizer/res screens.

is there any update to the original post? I have a 7970 coming and I have three different sizer/res screens.

Nope still waiting.
I'm starting to give hope if AMD will ever deliver at all at the original promised feature set.

if i didn't have water blocks on my 7970s, i'd sell them in a heart beat and get gtx 680s instead.

I bought three 7970s, and after fighting with shitty drivers since the 6900 series, I gave up. I bought two 680s and sold my 3x 7970s. Tri-Fire was also a waste of a PCIe slot since I couldn't even get it working in most games.

I bought three 7970s, and after fighting with shitty drivers since the 6900 series, I gave up. I bought two 680s and sold my 3x 7970s. Tri-Fire was also a waste of a PCIe slot since I couldn't even get it working in most games.
Same experience here, sold my 3x Radeon 7970 and bought 2x Nvidia 680. I am finally enjoying "jerk free" multi GPU experience. Just look at HardOCP review of Crossfire 7970s vs SLI 680. Count me in as a fully satisfied members of the Team Green.

AMD Catalyst 12.3 (8.951.0 March 8) AMD Official WHQL http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx
Not sure if these are any good or not, the beta 12.4's (8.95.5) I'm on right now are running fine for me. I will probably try these soon though.

See,

This is what ppl aren't getting, do you use Nvidia releasing 1232432432 pointless betas months after months for 1% improvements?

i want the damn feature set that was promised. i.e mismatched monitors & resolution with eyefinity.

I think they are taking a while simply because the amount of people with xfire are very slim compared to people with just one card. I am not by any means saying this is smart, because it is anything but that. I am running one card and haven't had an issue with my 7970 yet.

AMD Catalyst 12.3 (8.951.0 March 8) AMD Official WHQL http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx
Not sure if these are any good or not, the beta 12.4's (8.95.5) I'm on right now are running fine for me. I will probably try these soon though.

Those drivers would BSOD all the time when running with 3 GPUs. I could be sitting idle with crossfire off, and the system would crash. Once I removed one of the GPUs it was stable, but the drivers are still very buggy - like I am unable to get hdmi audio passthru (worked on 12.2 and earlier), and I can't create any custom profiles.

Performance otherwise was one of the better drivers so far.

Back