Snowden Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize

HardOCP News

[H] News
Edward Snowden nominated for the 2014 Nobel Peace Prize? Raise your hand if you think that's ever going to happen.

Two members of Norway's parliament put forward the nomination, saying Snowden has made "a critical contribution" to restoring the balance between "a country's legitimate need for reliable intelligence to preserve its own security" and "people's individual freedoms."

I could see it happening. Who ever thought they'd use Angry Birds to collect data?

_o_

He already has the Samuel Adams award, so I don't think so...

I'd be laughing if they did it so he can come claim and and be extradited to the US. On another note the peace prize is becoming quite the joke.

I'm pretty sure Alfred Nobel is rolling over in his grave.

"The first three of these prizes are awarded for eminence in physical science, in chemistry and in medical science or physiology; the fourth is for literary work "in an ideal direction" and the fifth prize is to be given to the person or society that renders the greatest service to the cause of international fraternity, in the suppression or reduction of standing armies, or in the establishment or furtherance of peace congresses."

How did Obama, Al Gore, ect ect win this again? I guess you can make a justification for Snowden winning it. Maybe. The fallout from his release of information is still in it's infancy. It could lead to more armies being stationed around the globe. Can we just stop giving Nobel prizes to people based on politics and how they are perceived? Next up for one at this rate is John Kerry :rolleyes:

i would rather the treasonous snowden have it than obama literally found a way to do worse than bush

How did Obama, Al Gore, ect ect win this again? :rolleyes:

Al Gore was willing to fall on his sword to call attention to a serious problem, even in the face of his crucifixion at the hands of conservatives who have chosen to once again tow the same line they did with tetra-ethyl lead, tobacco smoke, and DDT. In 50 years when the truth is kicking the door to conservative fantasy land in yet again there might be less debate. I won't pretend he would have been my first choice, but the rage from conservatives about it is evidence that his face became the face of "the enemy", the truth has always been the arch enemy of conservatism.

Obama winning one is completely mystifying.

I'm not really sure what Snowden released has done anything to increase international fraternity.

Bill Gates is much more deserving.

Only if you're blind and don't know anything about the history of African-Americans in this country.

I get that, but it's supposed to be a reward for the exceptional achievement of the recipient(s). If anything the award would go to American voters.

I raised my hand and 5 people I don't know took a picture of me doing it. Weird, huh?

I get that, but it's supposed to be a reward for the exceptional achievement of the recipient(s). If anything the award would go to American voters.

Being elected President is an exceptional achievement period. Being the first African-American President is historic. In 2114, plenty of people will know Obama's name, few will know who Snowden is.

Being elected President is an exceptional achievement period. Being the first African-American President is historic. In 2114, plenty of people will know Obama's name, few will know who Snowden is.

I would debate the numbers that know Snowden's name, but you have a pretty strong point with Obama's award.

You're making the assumption this country will be around in 2114? At the rate we're going ... eh, maybe not a sure thing.

I was once nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize for making bacon and eggs in the morning.

You're making the assumption this country will be around in 2114? At the rate we're going ... eh, maybe not a sure thing.

Perhaps not, there's been several times in this nations history were its existence the following year was in doubt, 1863 and 1942 are prominent. When I was growing up we were still doing the bomb drill radiation shelter thing in school. That certainly puts some doubt about the future in a kids mind.

i would rather the treasonous snowden have it than obama literally found a way to do worse than bush

So the United States governement commits the crime of the century, Snowden reveals it, and he is the criminal?

Crazy as it sounds, if it weren't for the fact that I think he has been blowing smoke up everyone's asses on the "I wanted to do what was right" thing, (cause really I think it was a desperate moved because Booz Allen Hamilton was going to fire him for lying about his education), I might even support it. I mean that's part of the deal, most people buy into his story, others believe he's just a liar and a thief and want him to burn for it. So that's how I see it anyway.

Al Gore was willing to fall on his sword to call attention to a serious problem, even in the face of his crucifixion at the hands of conservatives who have chosen to once again tow the same line they did with tetra-ethyl lead, tobacco smoke, and DDT. In 50 years when the truth is kicking the door to conservative fantasy land in yet again there might be less debate. I won't pretend he would have been my first choice, but the rage from conservatives about it is evidence that his face became the face of "the enemy", the truth has always been the arch enemy of conservatism.

This post is making me laugh you really have no clue what you are talking about.

So the United States governement commits the crime of the century, Snowden reveals it, and he is the criminal?

Ain't no crime if it's legal boy. Need to get that straight. If the law is unconstitutional that's for the courts to figure out, but it still doesn't make what happened before illegal, it just means that from that point on it's no longer legal.

You have to have a sense of perspective about these things, one based on reality.

Snowden reveals it, and he is the criminal?

And Snowden is a criminal, even if you give him a peace prize for some of the things he did, he did other things as well and he stole and release things that had nothing at all to do with our privacy rights. Those are going to be hard to square up.

Nelson Mandala received a peace prize even though he murdered and ordered the murder of innocence... He also committed what the Geneva Conventions considers crimes against humanity and war crimes... So does this prize really mean a thing anymore?

I could see it happening. Who ever thought they'd use Angry Birds to collect data?
Mark, they use a vulnerability in Angry Birds and any other app they find that has one, in order to exploit a vulnerability in a target's phone. The NSA collects on targets world wide but needs a warrant against an American. Get a clue put it in perspective, they are doing exactly what we pay them to do.

Ain't no crime if it's legal boy. Need to get that straight. If the law is unconstitutional that's for the courts to figure out, but it still doesn't make what happened before illegal, it just means that from that point on it's no longer legal.

You have to have a sense of perspective about these things, one based on reality.

Here's one for reality. There's a law about having sex with a dog. There's not a law about having sex with a cactus. "Ain't no crime if it's legal, boy." :rolleyes:

... So does this prize really mean a thing anymore?

No idea, is it worth it to have your face on the cover of Time? Maybe, I don't know, never had mine on there.

And Snowden is a criminal, even if you give him a peace prize for some of the things he did, he did other things as well and he stole and release things that had nothing at all to do with our privacy rights. Those are going to be hard to square up.

But the privacy rights ordeal is ok with you? WTF. Allowing the US Government to impose the patriot act and this spying is hard to square up.

But the privacy rights ordeal is ok with you? WTF. Allowing the US Government to impose the patriot act and this spying is hard to square up.

I don't really mind as there are 100 things I hate a ton more that the Government does.....

How did Obama, Al Gore, ect ect win this again? I guess you can make a justification for Snowden winning it. Maybe. The fallout from his release of information is still in it's infancy. It could lead to more armies being stationed around the globe. Can we just stop giving Nobel prizes to people based on politics and how they are perceived? Next up for one at this rate is John Kerry :rolleyes:
Al Gore "won" the Noble in conjunction with an international group on climate change, that was the theme of that particular year, and Al Gore was out in the open on it, which is why he also was a co-winner on it.

Obama won with what he did with international diplomacy and the fact he brought people together (regardless of how much of a ruse that may or may not have been) NOT because he was black.

Arafat and Rabin won it because they made a show that they were trying to accomplish peace in the middle east (regardless of how much of a ruse that may or may not have been)

2 years ago the European Union won it.. yeah the whole fucking Union, for holding their shit together longer than people thought they could.

The Nobel prize for peace has always been known as a controversial prize and people getting their conservative panties in a twist over which democrat may have won it in the past really needs to understand its not worth getting worked up over.

I don't really mind as there are 100 things I hate a ton more that the Government does.....

That's exactly my point. They can get away with these things and what is next? Our forefathers would start a revolutionary war against our current government.

Al Gore falling on his sword? How so? He's make dump trucks full of money pimping the farse that is climate change is man-made.

Al Gore "won" the Noble in conjunction with an international group on climate change, that was the theme of that particular year, and Al Gore was out in the open on it, which is why he also was a co-winner on it.

Obama won with what he did with international diplomacy and the fact he brought people together (regardless of how much of a ruse that may or may not have been) NOT because he was black.

Arafat and Rabin won it because they made a show that they were trying to accomplish peace in the middle east (regardless of how much of a ruse that may or may not have been)

2 years ago the European Union won it.. yeah the whole fucking Union, for holding their shit together longer than people thought they could.

The Nobel prize for peace has always been known as a controversial prize and people getting their conservative panties in a twist over which democrat may have won it in the past really needs to understand its not worth getting worked up over.
So are you now making a generalization saying that anyone who is upset over this is a conservative?

That's exactly my point. They can get away with these things and what is next? Our forefathers would start a revolutionary war against our current government.

The founders did a little spying of their own on the citizens of New York city... When the troops were at Valley Forge training Washington had a whole spy ring going down...

The founders did a little spying of their own on the citizens of New York city... When the troops were at Valley Forge training Washington had a whole spy ring going down...

I do however agree with you that our founders would revolt again...

Back