SNES Classic on the way? (rumor)

Long lines, sold out stores, and scalpers selling them at a 300% mark-up. Sounds like a whole lot of fun.

Hopefully they also add in the super-short controller cables.

I'll keep my RetroPi thanks.

Long lines, sold out stores, and scalpers selling them at a 300% mark-up. Sounds like a whole lot of fun.

Hopefully they also add in the super-short controller cables.

I'll keep my RetroPi thanks.

last time i played with retropi, it couldn't accurately emulate SNES.

It was close, but pick up an actual SNES and it's not the same.. or even close. The question is, can nintendo do it?

Nintendo can probably do it on the emulation side, but they will probably find a bazillion other ways to ruin the machine itself.

last time i played with retropi, it couldn't accurately emulate SNES.

It was close, but pick up an actual SNES and it's not the same.. or even close. The question is, can nintendo do it?

Do emulation on PC work any better than RetriPie's version?

I'm pretty confident they will have this bad boy ready for just before Thanksgiving! Get ready!

...and I'm pretty confident they'll screw this up.

Obviously this is a rumor, but assuming it's true it sure would have been nice if they could have NOT discontinued the NES Classic yet, before they started worrying about this thing.

Nintendo can probably do it on the emulation side, but they will probably find a bazillion other ways to ruin the machine itself.

Do emulation on PC work any better than RetriPie's version?

I'm about to buy a oDroidXu4 for emulation. I just purchased a 8BitDo Snes Bluetooth gamepad. The problem with a lot of emulation isn't the hardware...it's the connections people use. It can introduce a level latency that isn't in the original source. Mileage varies on that.

Anything below PS1 should run borderline flawless.

I've played many SNES games on emulators and it turns out that only a few games stand the test of time even though I had so much fun with many of the ones that did not so long ago.

There was a line today at Walmart for these things ;) It's gimped though I mean if it was the complete collection of SNES games it might be worth it.
ROMS is where it's at hell I rather play Destiny

Got mine. They had 100 at the Best Buy I waited at, and they handed out ~70 vouchers before 9AM. They opened at 10.

The controllers are very nearly exact replicas. The texture is just slightly rougher on the new ones (which is fine considering the size). Even the mold reliefs are the same as the original I have.

I got one too. Still have my original SNES with a few of the classics but both my controllers need a rebuild. This should be fun to play with in the meantime.

Got mine. They had 100 at the Best Buy I waited at, and they handed out ~70 vouchers before 9AM. They opened at 10.

The controllers are very nearly exact replicas. The texture is just slightly rougher on the new ones (which is fine considering the size). Even the mold reliefs are the same as the original I have.

You should grab the 8bitdo SNES controllers on Amazon. So good. I have both the US model and JP/EU model.

My US version is being delivered, should be here by next monday at latest.

Had to buy it at a markup ($145), but a quick check on Amazon and ebay showed that what I got them for is still cheaper than those places...

Now contemplating on whether I want to buy just the JP version or the EU one as well, bought both NES and Famicom last time..

After playing with it for a bit, I can say that it works basically like NES classic, the UI is basically identical.

For Star Fox 2, completing the first level in Star Fox 1 and then resetting is enough to trigger its opening, you don't need to finish the game or even get a game over.

The controller 'feels' original, but this is purely out of memory and I don't have an original one to compare it to, and I am considering getting a 2nd hand one to compare (should cost me about $7). The console does come with 2 control pads so its ready to be 2P straight out of the box unlike the NES, so overall it's not actually that expensive compared to NES.

Aesthetically, unfortunately not as realistic as NES classic as there is no 'cartridge' sticking out.

After playing with it for a bit, I can say that it works basically like NES classic, the UI is basically identical.

For Star Fox 2, completing the first level in Star Fox 1 and then resetting is enough to trigger its opening, you don't need to finish the game or even get a game over.

The controller 'feels' original, but this is purely out of memory and I don't have an original one to compare it to, and I am considering getting a 2nd hand one to compare (should cost me about $7). The console does come with 2 control pads so its ready to be 2P straight out of the box unlike the NES, so overall it's not actually that expensive compared to NES.

Aesthetically, unfortunately not as realistic as NES classic as there is no 'cartridge' sticking out.

The cartridge didn't stick out on the NES, you are misremembering. Only using a game genie or a NES2 made it stick out.

The cartridge didn't stick out on the NES, you are misremembering. Only using a game genie or a NES2 made it stick out.

I misstated, I know NES didn't have the cartridge sticking out, which makes the NES classic look realistic, the others all had cartridges sticking out which made the 'bare' machine look a bit off.

Only reason for me to get one was Starfox 2 and that wasn't enough for me. I dug out my SNES but couldn't find the power brick, or RF adapter. I've got them somewhere, but I elected to buy a " Super Players Entertainment System " which is a true hardware clone SNES that's not region locked. I've still got a box of games, and there's always Ebay for more.. I'll probably grab a Star Fox 2 reproduction since there are a few making them

Mine arrived today!!! Super excited, never owned or played any snes games before (parents got me a mega drive (lived in the UK at the time)). Don't even know which game I want to start with, probably super Mario world

DaxNk5y.jpg

Last edited:
Mine arrived today!!! Super excited, never owned or played any snes games before (parents got me a mega drive (lived in the UK at the time)). Don't even know which game I want to start with, probably super Mario world
Thats the only game to start with...... say goodbye to the rest of the year for that one game! :D I love Super Mario World, my fav game by far

Got mine yesterday, looking forward to hacking it and adding Zombies ate my neighbors.

Was very easy to hack, hackChi 2.2 walks you through every step. I watched a YouTube video on what settings to use but overall very easy.
Even added some more games later on which was also very easy. Up to now I have 52 games on it. Pilotwings, zombies ate my neighbors, dr Mario....

Thanks, might even buy an extra one to play around, no pun intended.

wikidlad Nice - really the only real one I want to add is Chrono Trigger and Illusion of Gaia.
Then maybe Star Wars, Turtles in Time - but those would just be icing on the cake.

Mav, I just added Chrono trigger..believe it or not I never played it before.

Finally snagged one and it works extremely well very smooth emulation going to hack it so I can add games like BATMAN and the other final fantasy games

Best Buy released a bunch at 9am today limit 1 per person, but gangs of H1-B third worlders camped out with their entire extended families grabbed all of em within 5 min.

So I finally managed to get my hands on one of these and it’s amazing. It’s so easy to add additional games. I have been up way too late the past few nights playing my favourite RPGs as a teenager: FF3, Chrono Trigger, and secret of mana. Chrono Trigger has black screened on me a couple times so just make sure to save in game and with a save state. (Now that I think about it both crashes happened in the right stair case in the castle in 600 AD.

I never realized how terrible the Star Fox frame rate was as a kid. It’s difficult to play although I have been reading about how you can play with the speed.

Maybe it’s just me being nostalgic but it amazes me just how well some pixelated sprites can be developed and turned into meaningful characters.

I tried to add illusion of Gaia but it said it wouldn’t work with the emulator when I went to transfer it. I think secret of evermore said the same thing.

Last edited:
I've replayed Gaia more than I can say. Watching some speed runs only rekindled that interest....but sounds like it doesn't work?

I've been meaning to try adding games, but that was shelved while I'm getting through SMO.

Back