Sneaky HL2 tactics - *Spoilers*

$$grh$$

n00b
I kept getting massacred on the Prison level by the cells, where you get the three gun turrets and are waiting for Alyx to join you, and have to kill off the waves of combine coming from four directions. They kept managing to kick away the turrets.

I had a good look around and saw a balcony on the right hand side of the right passage. I wandered around and found 6 crates which I could stack 123 high against the pillar on the right of the balcony. Then I went and picked up the first two turrets with the grav gun and fired them up onto the balcony. Picking up the third triggers the combine advance so I just picked it up ran to the balcony fired that up with the grav gun and hopped up my set of stairs and onto the balcony. Then I set up all three turrets on the edge of the balcony where the combine couldn't touch them, sat back and watched the slaughter as the combine got hosed down. Only thing to be careful of is if they try and throw a grenade up, but it's dead easy to just fling it back with the grav gun.

Whatt other sneaky tactics have you all come up with?

With the turrents, I tried to carry one around as long as possible. They make excellent rifles and you don't have to worry about ammunition or aiming. Towards the end of the game, you can plant it and use it as a second gunner.

I did something like you did. I took one turret a piece and put them in each hallway in a corner, and I blocked them in with barrels and boxes. The combine couldn't get close enough to kick them away because the barrels and boxes were in the way of the gun. It took me a few times but on the third it worked fine. The third turret I just took out of the holder and put it about 2 feet from me, and then I went into where the turrets were housed and just crouched and sat there until everyone was dead. The grenades they threw at the turrets knocked one against a wall, so it still worked.

I went into one of the open cells along the side with all three turrets.

I put 1 turret down on either side of me, and then held one turret as a combination gun a shield.

As enemies came through the narrow dorr frame, they got completely mowed down. Again, the only thing you have to worry about are grenades and the odd manhack.

I just trapped myself in a cell and set up the 3 turrets around me.

Worked great.

I'm assuming you guys are not playing this game in "normal" mode...

I'm playing the game in "normal" mode, and all I did was place the two turrets on both entrance. I'll go back and forth to shoot down anyone that got by the turrets, and it works the first time.

Carrying the turret is something that didn't occur to me though. So I'm definitely going to do that (I was just on this level, before I call it a night), so I can definitely go back and grab the turrets. Someone mentioned you can carry both turrets?

[H]ellbringer said:
I'm assuming you guys are not playing this game in "normal" mode...

I'm playing the game in "normal" mode, and all I did was place the two turrets on both entrance. I'll go back and forth to shoot down anyone that got by the turrets, and it works the first time.

Carrying the turret is something that didn't occur to me though. So I'm definitely going to do that (I was just on this level, before I call it a night), so I can definitely go back and grab the turrets. Someone mentioned you can carry both turrets?

I played it on normal mode and got smoked the first few times I tried this part of the game.

LOL. This one messed me up too. I got killed like 5 times trying different things.

Finally I put all the turrets back into thier containers except facing out this time, and moved the last one to the end. I just hung out in the middle one with the shotgun and got the stragglers. I didn't even get shot once that time. Worked great.

I did it on hard, just sat in a room with the 3 turrets and me sitting on a ledge so i was slightly higher than the turrets. Easiest way to take care of grenades is to pick them up with the grav gun and shoot them right back out. Manhacks? pick them up with the grav-gun and shoot them into a wall (or combine). Sitting on the ledge made it easier to avoid picking up the turrets on accident.

One trick for handling the first Queen antlion ***
bring some boxes and barrels over from the other side of the wall, stack them up so you can get back on top of the first ledge. You have some room at the bottom before you trigger the queen. Your only concern then is the occasional antlion that jumps up at you. Skeet practice anyone?

black_b[ ]x said:
One trick for handling the first Queen antlion ***
bring some boxes and barrels over from the other side of the wall, stack them up so you can get back on top of the first ledge. You have some room at the bottom before you trigger the queen. Your only concern then is the occasional antlion that jumps up at you. Skeet practice anyone?

I wimped out on that one, just ran to the other end and hid in the rocks while the Vortigaunt nailed it with the plasma cannon :)

Jima13 said:
I wimped out on that one, just ran to the other end and hid in the rocks while the Vortigaunt nailed it with the plasma cannon :)
I thought the Queen Antlions were cake, just sit still and dodge when they rush then pop some rounds into her.

Jima13 said:
I let them do most of the work too :p

With the prison area i picked up each turret than placed them back into the cabinets. Once i had set up the last one in its cabinet i hid in the empty cabinet. The combine would try to knock over the turrets but they just bouced back off the wall. I tried this tactic in hard mode.

Yeah, I used the same tactic as Splayde. I never left the room that you get the turrets in. The only problem was when they started chucking grenades, but just use the gravity gun to pick them up and launch them back at them . :)

I carried one of the turrets from the previous turret section through the electrified water and into the area where the other three turrets were. Now I had four turrets and placed one at each entrance so that everything was covered. It still took me a few tries because the turrets would get knocked down and the combine would charge through.

I like ragemasters idea. The funny thing about the AI is that its stupid. I once saw one throw a grenade that bounced off of a barrel back at it. The stupid thing just stared at it and the i just watched them all go byebye.

I carried one from previous area so I had 4 turrets and just setup boxex and barrels around 2 of the openings and setup 2 turrets per openning and then just ran back and forth on other 2 opennings firing at the combines thru the bars and then blasting or grav grabben the manhacks as they came around ...

**SPOILER**

towards the end when you have to place turrets to gaurd alyx as she is setting up the teleporter ....I carried 2 turrets from previous area so I had 5 to play with ..made the level super easy.

I placed 3 at the farthest openning in a staggered line at different distances from the openning as you get a long straight shot at the combine as they come thru so if they get a nade off they would only get on turret at best .. then placed one at each of other two opennings that are kind of to the left as your looking at the transporter ...being in close quarters , combine were able to knock over the one turret a couple times..

cant take a turret with you into the teleporter tho ...that sucks , lol

in the prison level, i stacked boxes and barrels in one entry of the middle health room to block it off, then set up the three turrets on the other side, two facing back and one forwards. this worked OK, i still died a few times before i finished it! the manhacks kept cutting through my box blockade! but it kept out the guards long enough. they kept having to go through the hallway to get to the other side and i had set up a turret right at it.

I lugged a turret around for a while but I wanted more of a challenge so i left it after a while.

"unfortunately" you can really confront the AI with some situations it just doesn't understand, like stacked boxes etc if you are creative. If they'd scripted just the ability to knock 'em aside the game would be a lot tougher in the later parts (attacking the citadel, esp).

Probably an exploit (or bug) in the game, because i'm sure it isn't supposed to work like this but...

On hard in the prison level.

I moved the first turrent to the "right" side the room (room with the turrets, not the larger areas) in the opening. Moved the other two to the "left" side of the room. Once Alex came on saying the combine we really coming out of the woodwork, I went into the cubby-hole where there were no turrets stored, backed into the corner as far as I could go, equiped the shotgun, and ducked down.

First wave of soldiers, they knocked down the turrets but NEVER came into the room.... Alex would keep telling me that there were more and more coming, but I never saw them. I did hear their radio "chatter" all the time, but never saw a single soldier. This went on for all the times Alex told me more were coming. Finally, when she says she's coming down, I hear gunfire and come out from cowering in my corner to seeing just a few Combine bodies near the knocked down turrets, and Alex blasting a couple combine, who I shot in the back, like a good Gordon.

This was only my second run through the level, first time I got waxed pretty hard, and this time was so easy, I didn't want to run it again. I may have to, I have a manual-full save at that point, just to see if that was a fluke or not.

Pretty much, I think in total, I killed 3 soldiers in that whole time, plus the 3-4 that the turrets took down (before being kicked over) and the 1-2 that Alex gets when she shows up.

On hard dificulty, with only having 10 dead guys max, this was really funny when I finished the game. Since the first time I ran through, I was really piling up the bodies, before falling to the onlaught.

:) So yeah, if this is a tactic that works consistantly, I'd say it is a bug. Nothing quite like hiding in the corner cowering like a wuss, and getting past that level. Heck, I had the shotgun waiting for any of them daring to put their head past the corner.....

at the part with the 3 turrets i did the following...

1.set them up all in one corner so it was easy to keep track of them
2.blasted as much combines as i could until i was low on health and the turrets were knocked over(they were a bitch to stand back up)
3.hid in a jail cell while holding a barrel using the grav gun(crouched in a corner behind one of the bed things in the cell
4.the combine do not keep spawning if you dont kill the current wave, but the time alyx takes to get to you still counts down, this is key
5.with the barrel held in front of you, the combine will NOT engage in attacking, you need to exploit their shitty AI here. :p
6.after she says that shes almost there(forget the exact quote) wreck the 3-4 combine sitting at the jail cell door
8.profit!

i did found this strategy out when i had 13 health left and quickly grabbed a barrel and ran into a jail cell, i crouched and hid and was amazing at the stupidity of the combine, so i waited for alyx to talk and then wasted the combine, VERY pleaed by the results :D

yep the countdown time for that spot is 6 minutes. so you only have to survive for 6 mins to pass onto the next part.

Huh.. I just put the turrets slightly behind the walls right by the gates and had hardly any trouble. 1 got kicked down once, but I was able to kill the Combine soldiers and get it back up without taking too much damage.

Heres what I did

I scouted the area before they came, and gathered all of the boxes and barrels I could. I took everything back to that little room where the search guns and armor/health stations are. I setup the barrels/boxes to block both doorways ( boxes in the front, barrels providing support ) Then I setup the turret guns behind the boxes ( one facing one doorway, the other facing the opposite, and the 3rd centered ) Then I hid in the compartments where you take the scout guns and just waited with my shotgun. :D

Not on the prison levels but I took dog's ball with me after the gravity gun practice. It has some unusual properties that make it a very effective weapon. First, when you hit things with it, it packs a hell of a lot of punch. Second, it attempts to return back to you. Third, if you drop it among enemies, they try to attack it so you can sneak up behind them.

You can't let it be near an explosion or drop it in water though.

Rhys said:
Not on the prison levels but I took dog's ball with me after the gravity gun practice. It has some unusual properties that make it a very effective weapon. First, when you hit things with it, it packs a hell of a lot of punch. Second, it attempts to return back to you. Third, if you drop it among enemies, they try to attack it so you can sneak up behind them.

You can't let it be near an explosion or drop it in water though.

ahh , good thinken ...

***SPOILER***

you will run into many more of them 'balls' later .... :)

I had two different strategies for the three turret area

Fist one, I used the boxes to block the entrences, and placed all three turrents in front of the last open door, in three different areas, also works in combination with the next method

Put the turrents exactly in the corner, then place a barrel or box on each side, and a box or layed over barrel in front, then they wont tip over, even if a grenade lands near them

In either method, simply set them up and hide in one of the cells, and wait... you might have to fight one or two combines at most, and thats easy

Yeah, but using exploits to get through a tuff spot in a level is pretty weak. Just play it straight up like a man damnit. put out ur turrets, shoot everything that moves, and pick em up when they get knocked over. It aint rocket science.

In Nova Prospect, the second time you have to use the turrets to block the combine is the hardest turret part, even harder than the end part of the level.

What makes it the hardest, is that there are only 3 turrets, but 4 entrances for the combine.

| . | . . . | .|
| . | .G . | .| 4 Entrances, but only 3 turrets.
| . | . . . | .|
| . | . . . | .|
| . | . . . | .|
_E_______E_

Theres a few crates hanging around, so I blocked up one of the entrances with crates:
d2_prison_070000.jpg

And I'm thinking there's no way this will work, with Half Life 2's extremely advanced AI :rolleyes:

Well it did, the combine couldn't enter the room from the blocked up entrance, made that part super easy hehe.
Note: Alyx won't come until all the combine are dead, so after the last wave, just move all the turrets to point to the blocked entrance, then knock away the boxes with the grav gun and see them get raped by 3 turrets hehe.

Back