SNC’s Dream Chaser Achieves Successful Free Flight at NASA Armstrong

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Sierra Nevada Corp.’s Dream Chaser spacecraft underwent a successful free-flight test on November 11, 2017 at NASA’s Armstrong Flight Research Center, Edwards, California. The test verified and validated the performance of the Dream Chaser in the critical final approach and landing phase of flight, meeting expected models for a future return from the International Space Station. It sure is nice to see the US start to get back into space again with our own program. This little gem is going to really help out the ISS and bring down cost as well.

The Dream Chaser is preparing to deliver cargo to the International Space Station beginning in 2019. The data that SNC gathered from this test campaign will help influence and inform the final design of the cargo Dream Chaser, which will fly at least six cargo delivery missions to and from the space station by 2024.

They should of named it the penguin. So is it still a shuttle/rocket driven device to reach the moon/stations or can it fly solo?

Does this do a piggy back launch like the previous space shuttles? I was scanning over the FAQ on their web site and didn't see (or overlooked) how it launches. Interesting that it can be unpiloted.

Does this do a piggy back launch like the previous space shuttles? I was scanning over the FAQ on their web site and didn't see (or overlooked) how it launches. Interesting that it can be unpiloted.

" The vehicle will launch vertically on an Atlas V, Ariane 5 or Falcon Heavy rocket,[1] and autonomously land horizontally on conventional runways"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_Chaser

autonomously?? That's a new twist. Now if they stick with the Falcon it can be an entirely resusable delivery system.

Last edited:
So is it still a shuttle/rocket driven device to reach the moon/stations or can it fly solo?

When you say "Fly solo", then no, not really. It's not a Millennium Falcon yet. Nor was the Shuttle. They are more like a rock - with wings on it.

Looking at this thing weirds out my brain. Looks like some "plane without wings" photoshop Reddit syle thread like "animalswithoutnecks".

Steve_hl10.jpg

Was Steve Austin the pilot? ;)

damn.. i live there, wish i knew of it ahead of time so i could have gone out to see it

I look at its competition (SpaceX Dragon, H-II, Progress, etc), they are all these big cylindrical objects. This one looks like a mini-shuttle. I give it cool points but at the same time I have to think a big cylinder is probably what makes most sense.

One big difference, and I'm not sure it's worth it, is that this will land in a runway where the others deploy parachutes over the ocean. Interesting for sure, I'm all for whatever and whoever get us more into space.

Back