Snapdragon 845 Windows 10 PCs Reportedly Coming in the Second Half of 2018

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
According to Qualcomm executive vice president Cristiano Amon, Snapdragon 845-powered PCs should arrive in the second half of 2018. Many wondered why the first Snapdragon-powered devices are shipping with the 835 at all, as the 845 was announced soon after: well, it’s because x86 emulation on ARM is a new technology, and the companies are starting with what's been tested.

You should see Snapdragon 845 in phones first and most likely in PCs for the back-to-school market by early Q3 2018. Qualcomm executives pointed out that this is a big learning curve for both Microsoft and Qualcomm, but that both companies are very confident in its success. The launch of the PCs and phones might be more in sync with future generations, but this will depend on the success of the early devices that are about to start shipping in the early part of 2018.

A computer i can never be sure is off or connected to the network? TAKE MY MONEY!!! /s

Reactions: HoffY
like this
Windows RT Take Two, Even More Confusion Edition Deluxe. These aren't PC's, and the x86 emulation benches on Snap 835 are abysmal, so unless Snap 845 is some massive 10x leap then forget running your Win32 programs faster than glacial.

You have to wonder if Qualcomm realizes they're wasting their time partnering on another going-nowhere windows edition, and they're only bothering for the troll Intel factor.

... the x86 emulation benches on Snap 835 are abysmal...

I have been looking for the emulation benchmark. Obviously, you must have seen it. Can you provide a link to the benches so that I can take a look myself?

I want to see this work. I do. But I'm having Transmeta flashbacks here, guys.

Windows RT Take Two, Even More Confusion Edition Deluxe. These aren't PC's, and the x86 emulation benches on Snap 835 are abysmal, so unless Snap 845 is some massive 10x leap then forget running your Win32 programs faster than glacial.

You have to wonder if Qualcomm realizes they're wasting their time partnering on another going-nowhere windows edition, and they're only bothering for the troll Intel factor.

I had a Windows RT machine. I liked it. The biggest problem it had was that people were expecting the wrong things from it. So many people expected it to be a full PC. It wasn't, and neither is this. They're a more useful version of an iPad, not a full computer. They aren't going to run extensive x86 programs like Quickbooks or Photoshop. They're more for taking docs you created on a main machine and adding data in the field or presenting at a customer site, or running minor news and entertainment programs while you're waiting for a flight or at the doctor's office. These are not meant for full use, main machine purposes.

Back