Snapchat Has Reportedly Filed For Its IPO In Secret

HardOCP News

[H] News
Personally, I think Snapchat's valuation is insanely high but, this isn't about what I think. I want to know what you guys think about Snapchat's secret IPO and how it's all going to go down in March if this info is accurate.

The Venice, California-based company could go public as soon as March and be valued at $20 billion to $25 billion, making it the largest IPO since Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba Group Holding Ltd's (BABA.N) went public two years ago valued at $170.9 billion. It would be the largest U.S. technology IPO since Facebook Inc's (FB.O) debut in 2012 with a value of $81.2 billion. Snapchat filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission under the U.S. Jumpstart Our Business Startups Act. Companies with less than $1 billion in revenue can secretly file for an IPO, allowing them to quietly test investor appetite while keeping financials confidential.

Snapchat is the next Twitter, the bottom hasn't just fallen out yet.

Tech company valuations have gotten stupid. It's 1998 all over again for some of these companies. $20-$25 billion for that? Is anyone even serious about money anymore in that sector? Reminds me of when Facebook paid $19 billion for WhatsApp.

Yeah Facebook overpaid for WhatsApp, but on the other hand they got 500 Million user accounts and they had the spare cash, so it was worth the overspend to add all that sweet, sweet user data to their massive database.

Tech company valuations have gotten stupid. It's 1998 all over again for some of these companies. $20-$25 billion for that? Is anyone even serious about money anymore in that sector? Reminds me of when Facebook paid $19 billion for WhatsApp.

Just what I was thinking. A chat app has no monetary value to speak of despite how many users use it. The moment they start adding ads or get caught data mining, they crash like a rock.

Just think if these companies with al this free flowing cash dropped that into healthcare for the American people. 25 billion we all could have free healthcare for a long time but even if they charged cheap they could still make a ton of money.

Just think if these companies with al this free flowing cash dropped that into healthcare for the American people. 25 billion we all could have free healthcare for a long time but even if they charged cheap they could still make a ton of money.

Yes, imagine if we redistributed 25 billion across the 325 million individuals in the US, that $77.00 per person would go real far.

Last edited:

Nope -- not how the way this country works. Even if you mulitply that by 10, spread 250 billion that's still only 700-800 per person. Heath care wise that's nothing. And while there are things we can do to fix some issues in this country health care wise... costs aren't going to magically go to nothing. Those doctors that spent 15 years studying and practicing who are sitting on 500K worth of debt? Do you really think they are going to stick around so they might only make $25 a patient?

Isn't Snapchat that thing the kids use to send pictures of their boobs and junk? Where you can look at it but the pics auto delete after X seconds?

SnapOgram, InstaChat... whatever the hell the kids are calling it, not worth 25 billion. You bet your ass if I had a stake in the company I'd be cashing out instantly and retire.

The health insurance and drug companies would love to have that money, never mind the people.

It is now being used by people and companies for social media marketing purposes. Podcasters are also getting into it big time as a way to self promote hoping to expand their audience.

kh_snapchat_business_600.png

snapchat_promote_business_1024x536.jpg

and when advertising starts happening, then..

maxresdefault.jpg

Aww.. for a simpler time when Snapchat was just used for this..

g86_Ma2_Z.jpg

Just like the first few months of the FB IPO, the stock will drop below it's valuation, probably a good idea to short it. Once they can prove that they are making money from advertising, and gaining a user base, the stock will bounce back up just like FB did. Their users are their 'value'. With the CEO being so 'secretive' about every metric of his company, it'll be interesting in March/June to see what is really going on there since they'll be force to file financials.

May 18th 2012 FB IPO @ 38/share
May 2013 FB starts to prove their worth, sits @ 26/share
May 2014 FB has proven worth, sits @ 58/share
Current day: FB sits @ 115/share

If you're going to buy snapchat, buy it about 3-6mo after the IPO, then hold it for a year or so

It's gonna sink like a rock. Google has been caught secretly funding them to look out for Google's best interest and help Google maintain their monopolies. That isn't Snapchat acting in the best interests of their other shareholders, and it isn't Google acting ethically either.
And you know with Google's financing that Snapchat is data mining like crazy for them.

Nope -- not how the way this country works. Even if you mulitply that by 10, spread 250 billion that's still only 700-800 per person. Heath care wise that's nothing. And while there are things we can do to fix some issues in this country health care wise... costs aren't going to magically go to nothing. Those doctors that spent 15 years studying and practicing who are sitting on 500K worth of debt? Do you really think they are going to stick around so they might only make $25 a patient?
Your math is wrong. When was the last time you needed a doctor? In reality a very small percentage of people need medical care at a given time. My country has fully free medical care for all citicens and even non-citizens. Yes, random beggar or criminal that passes through the borders gets free health care.

Your math is wrong. When was the last time you needed a doctor? In reality a very small percentage of people need medical care at a given time. My country has fully free medical care for all citicens and even non-citizens. Yes, random beggar or criminal that passes through the borders gets free health care.

Healthcare costs in the US are approaching $4 Trillion USD per year. Want to talk about math again?

Healthcare costs in the US are approaching $4 Trillion USD per year. Want to talk about math again?

4 trillion because private health care takes 10x the profit lol. Make healthcare into a business, it gets expensive. Sick people have two options: pay or die.

4 trillion because private health care takes 10x the profit lol. Make healthcare into a business, it gets expensive. Sick people have two options: pay or die.

Private profits for healthcare are limited by law to 20% or less, many providers operate as non-profit companies. That means over 80% of that $4 Trillion goes directly to care costs. Want to talk about math again?

Last edited:
Private profits for healthcare are limited by law to 20% or less, many providers operate as non-profit companies. That means over 80% of that $4 Trillion goes directly to care costs. Want to talk about math again?

Profit figures can easily be distorted by off-shore subsidiaries getting pay-offs. Don't be naive. Healthcare in the US costs at least 10x as much as it does here.

Profit figures can easily be distorted by off-shore subsidiaries getting pay-offs. Don't be naive. Healthcare in the US costs at least 10x as much as it does here.
You have no idea how much it costs, here or there. Don't be naive.

You have no idea how much it costs, here or there. Don't be naive.

Lol you can live in denial as much as you like. No need for further discussion. My country has free healthcare your's don't.

Was brainwashing one of the benefits your "free-but-not-really" healthcare provided?
No but dumbing down and watching TV was obviously one of yours. We have ZERO people living at streets.

Considering how much medications are and the administering costs at our hospitals. Compared to every where else, it's a no brainer that our health care is jacked up for the negotiating game that all insurance companies pull.

And you can't just charge an uninsured person the reasonable price you will most likely receive from the insurance company.

I wonder why this struggle occurred in the first place? Oh yea, that's right! Because it creates a system where no one in their right mind would be uninsured.

I would say oh well I got mines. Railroad employee, going to have one hell of a pension, all dependants on my insurance don't increase the amount that comes out of my check.

But I'm not an asshole or uninformed so I care. Maybe I'm a rarity, since all liberals are supposedly massive cows that sit at home doing drugs and enjoying caviar paid through welfare benefits.

Yeah Facebook overpaid for WhatsApp, but on the other hand they got 500 Million user accounts and they had the spare cash, so it was worth the overspend to add all that sweet, sweet user data to their massive database.

No it wasn't. They could have bought the entire company of BlackBerry at the time for less than half of that, and they would have received a loyal user base (at the time), security patents, a phone design, BBM, and far more technical staff for their operations. WhatsApp had 55 employees when the company was acquired. It was a complete joke.

John Chen had the best quote of the whole episode when he said "if anyone wants to pay me $19 billion for BBM, I will sell it".

Just what I was thinking. A chat app has no monetary value to speak of despite how many users use it. The moment they start adding ads or get caught data mining, they crash like a rock.

They're going to run into the same problems Twitter did, only in Twitter's case they have a theoretically better advertising platform that they STILL can't monetize.

They don't have that much in cash flow, that is value, nothing more. 25B to more free loaders would do nothing country wide, it would be a drop in the bucket, they are providing healthcare right now however to actual WORKERS, and not just healthcare, but a job and income on top of that.

Meh,

It will eventually crash and burn, just like Vine has and Twitter shortly will.

These trendy little nonsense apps hace no staying power.

And just think if we took your savings and used it to buy food for the poor.

You can't do that shit. Personal property is protected by the law.

No but dumbing down and watching TV was obviously one of yours. We have ZERO people living at streets.

After seeing your uppity retorts and demonstration of not understanding how healthcare works in our country (or yours) I must say I had a good laugh. Nothing is free. Here or there. Mind sharing the overall population of your country? Or the average tax rate? You seem to have this idea in your head that everyone in the US is homeless and cant' get health care. Truth be told, anyone (homeless or not) can walk in off the street and get treatment and if they can't pay, often times they don't (which is a whole seperate issue in and of itself)

For me - I pay about $1200 or so a year in premiums and I'm fully covered for whatever I need from basic to brain surgery.

You seem quite proud of your country - nothing wrong with that, I'd love to see how well your perfectly oiled medical machine works when you have tens of millions of people getting health services, and none of them contributing a single dollar to the system, how long do you think your perfect little system would last?

"Awash in venture funding, the company raised $1.81 billion in May, which valued it at about $20 billion, media reports said at the time."

What kind of fuzzy math makes this work out?

After seeing your uppity retorts and demonstration of not understanding how healthcare works in our country (or yours) I must say I had a good laugh. Nothing is free. Here or there. Mind sharing the overall population of your country? Or the average tax rate? You seem to have this idea in your head that everyone in the US is homeless and cant' get health care. Truth be told, anyone (homeless or not) can walk in off the street and get treatment and if they can't pay, often times they don't (which is a whole seperate issue in and of itself)

For me - I pay about $1200 or so a year in premiums and I'm fully covered for whatever I need from basic to brain surgery.

You seem quite proud of your country - nothing wrong with that, I'd love to see how well your perfectly oiled medical machine works when you have tens of millions of people getting health services, and none of them contributing a single dollar to the system, how long do you think your perfect little system would last?

Spare me the lies. Everyone knows the US is full of homeless cart people, many of which were broken down by simple medical problems. The medical insurance works for 1-2 cases and then they deny the insurance and you're left on your own lol. If what you say is true, why is the internet full of people complaining how they're too poor to get health care.

Statistics show that you pay on average 3000+ bucks a year for health insurance and a 1000-2000 dollar premium. That's more than many people in my country pay in taxes overall. In your country those people would be uninsured and devoid of any medical care. Oh btw, we get free dental too. Even the unemployed.

Sure it's paid in taxes. Nobody denies that. But you get care no matter how poor or rich you are.

https://www.valuepenguin.com/average-cost-of-health-insurance said:
Health Insurance premiums have risen dramatically over the past decade.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/health-insurance-premiums.aspx said:
Annual premiums reached $18,142 in 2016 for an average family.

The insurances are an evil form of socialization where many pay, few profit. It drives medical costs through the roof, premiums through the roof and insurance and private medcare companies take the profit while the insured get to suffer because business rules that if you get too sick, you lose coverage. Not a very good system.

Last edited:

I'm one of those lucky few that have "good" insurance through my job. I pay $65 per biweekly pay period (and my company pays an additional ~$200 from memory) and in exchange for that, I get a $500 deductible and a $1,500 coinsurance, for a total annual out of pocket of $2,000 plus premiums.

The insurance nickel and dimes the hell out of those deductibles and coinsurance meaning every goddamned time I go to the doctor, I get a bill ranging from $100 to $300.

I had surgery this year, so this is the first time I've ever hit my out of pocket max.

Let me tell you about the time I went to the emergency room after taking a hit to the head. The hospital was in network, the ER doctor I saw was in network, everything was apparently in network, except for some guy who looked at my cat scan. Because of this, I got an almost $1,000 surprise bill in the mail.

Or let me tell you about the time my insurance company deemed that my ER visit with meningitis-like symptoms (enough so that the triage nurse rushed me to a droplet safe room and I immediately had a spinal tap) was "frivolous and unnecessary" leaving me on the hook for almost $12,000 in bills. After months of arguing, appealing, writing letters (including to my congressman) I was eventually able to have the decision reversed, but this type of shit just is not acceptable.

I'm one of the lucky ones with supposedly good insurance through work, mostly paid for by work, and with a decent enough income to pay most of these surprise bills.

I'm a firm believer in free markets, free enterprise and how it helps drive our economy and has brought the U.S. to where it is today, but I am also a firm believer that there are industries for which free enterprise DOES NOT WORK. Healthcare is one of those industries.

Obamacare was a step in the right direction, but ultimately it was a market driven approach and no market driven approach will ever work for healthcare.

I believe the only proper solution for the U.S. is to do what most of Europe has done. Eliminate private sector hospitals and health insurance and replace them with a wholly public system financed through taxation.

After all, per the UN declaration of universal human rights (which the U.S. ratified) healthcare is one of the invaluable human rights. Not "healthcare only if you can pay for it", "healthcare only if you have insurance" or "healthcare, but only if you bankrupt yourself in the process". Healthcare, with no exceptions.

Our current market driven approach to healthcare is the single worst system in the western world. Sure, the lucky few can get good outcomes, but it falls flat on its face for the citizenry overall, and is - IMHO - a violation of internationally recognized basic human rights.

My wife who workd full time in the medical billing industry and myself who does it part time can show you the excessive waste and fraudulent charges and eliminate 3.7 trillion of that. I can do down to wall greens and buy a pair of crutches for less than $40 but I see medicare charging $1700 just because they can.

Back