SN95G5 and AMD 64 3000+

MD

Supreme [H]ardness
Well I have this setup allready for something like two weeks. I runs pretty good. I've got 6800GT for it and gaming is pretty good.

Though one thing is realy bothering Me.

Though I wouldn't be Me if I wouldn't try to OC. Specialy it seams Winchester are good OC-ing CPUs. I've heard first versions of SN95G5 where not OC-able (like Kyle mentioned in their review of it) and they have had isues with Ultra cards.
Now days I see many claimed OC 2400 MHz + and some even in Shuttle.

First I made shure that I have 2,x revision of Shuttle and newest BIOS I could find at Shuttle web.

Some PPL sad to Me like with 1,45V core and HTT 3x I could go to 2400 MHz(fan on mid settings though I've used full speed to be on safe side). Even with really retarded memory setting I can't OC it more then few MHz !!????

I use Software to read settings and change FSB Voltage and other stuff in Windows. I've tryed to OC in BIOS to and nothing. It just wouldn't doo more then 18xx MHz :(

What am I dooing wrong here?

So owners of OC 939 CPU in SN95G5 Rev. 2,0 Please give Me some info I can use

Thaks

MD

Well in CPUID it say its Winchester 0,09. I dont have other 939 mainboard to try out is it a CPU or mainboard that stops Me from OC-ing.

Memory is Corsair XMS 3500LL (2x 256 MB like 433 MHz cass 2) and hits 280 MHz easy on My PIV system. On PIV system it runs 22251 at DDR400.

Cooling is suficient and power to.

People claim even 2500 MHz with same setups and I can't do sh*t with it :(
Some claim even 4x HTT must cut up to 2400 MHz. I've raised Vcc to 1,5V and HTT at 3x and still it wont OC :(
In Bios or with software it just sucks.
It could be bad CPU but I haven't heard of Winchasters that want OC.
It could be a bad mobo but some people claim that rev. 2,0 OC good.
I realy don't know.

MD

Well it still refuses to OC :(

At stock speeds it still rocks. Yesterday evening I've had time to try out Far Cry demo and it's like You are playing HL 1 on it. O.K. Part of that nice preformance is 6800GT.

CPU feels strong but it could use few hundred MHz more.

Now I'm thinking of bringing it back and getting or 3200+. Maybe other week and would OC .

Shuttle works nice but I have to doo some changes to a cooling. Temps inside are just to high. O.K. I've shaved off 3 C from grafic card anf few from inside of case with PCI slot blower. CPU is running pretty cool and if I set fan on full speed it will idle at 32 C. Though it makes to much noise. On smart fan will never go faster. On Ultralow and low settings in BIOS airflow is week and on mid settings noise is already over a normaly acceptable level.
GPU cooler drives Me nuts too, but Silencer NV5 and Zalman 700cu doo not fit in G series chassis :( GPU cooler is louder then allother fans together :(
I'm searching for something that can fit. Also I'm waiting bit longer (warenty) to mod it. I've planed to take grill out and use Enermax 92 mili fan (ajustible speed and transparent impeller blades) with ICE and shine some blu light thru it. I've planed to make intake hole for grafic card cooler (r stock 6800GT cooler or something else) or get Mash cover. Some blue light coming thru cover wouldn't hurt too. Also some blue light coming under it (Streetglow style) would be neat to. I might after all use My 250 watt Silent X PSU with two fans. It just has bit of airflow and stock 240 watt doesn't realy.
I'm going to over drill those holes on bottom to.
So if I use in BIOS full speed and dail in Enermax fan where I want to have it and with other mods it shouldn't be so loud and still it would be cool enough. Even with OC CPU and grafic card.
Simular setup I've allready used on few Shuttles and it works great.

I would be happy to see it working when OC-ed even if I wouldn't doo it 24/7.

MD

So you think the CPU is whats holding you back or the small PSU?\

Are shuttle XPCs generally good OCers?

I was toying with the idea of getting a 35W 2500+ mobile chip and after seeing this it seems like a pretty viable option.

Well it's or mobo or CPU. Some people claim 2500+ MHz from same mobo. Everyone claims 2200+ and mostly 2400+ MHz OC from Winchester CPUs. Memory does 280 MHz on other PC's I own. I realy doo not know what does makes it so OC unfriendly.
I haven't had time to play with it so much. But in same time I've spend on it I would allready OC even a main frame in UFO :)

Generaly Shuttles are not great OC-ing platforms. But it's posible to make them OC. Atleast I was been able to doo it on allmost all of those that I've tryed to OC. OC where never to write home about but it could OC.

SN95G5 is Super 939 platform. Beutifull. Stable and if You want to run full speed fan they cool also extremly good. It works fine and stable and quick but every time I look at it it screams "I can doo so much more!". I can't imagine what would it doo with FX series CPU and 2 GB RAM.

Shuttle PSU are good also. 240 watt is allready enough to power all what You can build in the Shuttle. Even hot CPU with two HDD, DVD RW and power hungry grafic card.

G5 chassis with 92 mili fan is much better then G1 and G2. Also finaly I can use USB stick nex to My mouse on front side. Before You have had to use cradle for USB stick and now G5 has bit space between USB slots. Also buttons are so much better then on G2 chassis. On G2 they stuck offten here it's imposible.
Like in BIOS You can ajust how bright Your LEDs are!!!???? Thats realy pervert.

From day one, from My very first Shuttle all my other Pc's didn't mether. And SN95G5 makes all other unneccery empty boxes.
It's transportable and still powerfull. It can handle all software/ games You trow at it.
I can realy give my recomendation for SN95G5.

MD

PSU is probably the component that is holding you back. Probably can't support a 6800GT and a S939 A64 3000+ oc'd together. Are your PSU rails fluctuating a lot?

Finaly!

Man I'm so happy!

Finaly I've got it super stable at 2350 MHz. I've used VCC= 1,45V HTT 4x and with more voltage I can hit more. Like 2400 is almost stable with 1,45V.

And on the end it was My memory :( Like in PIV system it does 280 MHz FSB with stock voltage and with nForce 3 250 Ultra it want doo much more then 215~220 MHz with stock voltage. So My mistake was to think it's can't be memory. Then I've done 5/6 memory divider and preformance from 1T to 2T to convince myself that I'm right about my memory, but I was wrong.
Like Winchester rocks big time. SB95G5 rocks big time. Both mobo and PSU (stock 240 watt) rock solid.

Just stay away from Corsair XMS 3500 LL 256 MB modules. It want doo what it can doo with PIV chipsets and with Athlon XP chipsets mobos.
And I have had clear sign that something is wrong. Like I was thinking SPD programing of mobo is bad so it says 2,5-3-3-8-1 for My memory that does 2-2-2-5-1 in other mobos with stock 200 MHz.
I was thinking 256 MB modules OC better and that memory is prooven as good OC-er. Well not in My Shuttle. Atleast not with stock voltage. I might try it out with 2,9V it might help a bit.

When I have CPU OC-ed with memory divider set to a 5/6 (memory limit at 166 MHz BIOS option and then OC in windows with clock generator for NV3) memory score is lacking for a whole 1 GB :(

Well I was thinking about 2x512 MB anyways. Any sugestions? Something that works good with nForce 3 250 Ultra?

Anyways SN95G5 is a dream mashine period.

MD

Wow so what memory would you suggest out of the corsair lineup (there are SO many choices). Low Latency is sweet but it appears as though it requires higher default voltage than most.

I've got the shuttle SN95G5 and mine doesn't O/C for shit. I personally think it's the PSU's fault. I don't think it's as strong as it should be for the gear I have running in my system.

Hmm this is interesting, maybe i shouldn't spend big bucks on ram and just stay stock....

Your CPU is allready at 2400 MHz. Then You have less headroom to OC. People though report 2700 HMz from 3500+ winchesters though then with high End water cooling setups.
I have 3000+ hence Your stock speed is 600 MHz gain for My CPU and if You use good am that can support 1:1 memory divider then it will make better results as 3500+.

There are few steps You have to check when OC SN95G5. First BIOS. Get version from WEB. Second be shure what's Your Vcc. Sometimes I've seen although I've changed in BIOS voltage programs measure only stock voltage. After one more restart it has correct voltage. Third set up Your fan on mid or max setting to eliminate heat problem.
Fourth check Your ram. Like lower Your multiplier to 5 and then test how high You can go with ram.
Fifth lower Your HTT to 4x or 3x otherwise You expect to much from HTT bus.
You can also use higher chipset volttage it helps. Also higher RAM voltage it helps.
AGP has to be at 67 MHz and not higher.
Use clock generatorNV3 to OC from Windows it's easy.
If ram holds You back then use max. RAM frenquency 166 or even 133 ( 166 will activate memory divider at 5/6).
Ultra NV chipset is very hard for memroy just try to OC with memory divider , HTT 4x and Vcc 0,1 V more then stock and I bet it will OC atleast 100 MHz.

MD

How do you play with dividers in the bios? What are you're voltages for everything?

I use stock RAM voltage cause rising it don't help with My memory.
If You wanna slow down Your memory clock then You use memory divider. In BIOS You go into memory setup and change memory maximum speed from Auto to a 166 for memory divider 5/6 or to 133 or to a 100 if You want even lower memory frenquency.
When set up to 166 it means FSB/HTT runs with 200 MHz and memory max with a 166. Rizing HTT in clock generator rses HTT much more then RAM clock resulting in high OC CPU and low OC memory hence even cheeper memory can play with high CPU OC.
To achive good OC-bility with not so good RAM You should sacrify 1T memory seting (called preformance) and use 2T (called normal)
Like stock voltage for Winchester 3000+ is 1,4V and 1,45 makes My CPU stable at 2350 MHz wich is 550 MHz OC.
HTT must be set to a 4x (defaul is 5x) other wise HTT that runs 5x200=1000MHz DDR (efective according Sandra 2000 MHz though 16 bit) with FSB of 260 MHz HTT would be 1300 MHz and effective 2600 MHz andthats bit to much for traces on mobo and for a chipset. There is a option to rize chipset voltage to hence 1,8 V would be enough.
Next to it when OC-ed I use fan setting to a mid allthough it aint that neccecary.

MD

:D Nice to know for sure I have a V2. Also with my new cooling I have been able to get it to 2.34GHz with stock volts out of my little 3000+.

Back