SN25P linkages, pictures ect. resource .

Arkanian said:
What? I need to see how I can going to put a X850Xt in this thing. Does anyone here have this shuttle and the X850Xt or any PCIe card that needs a 6-pin Molex connector?
Ok I checked the sfftech.com forums and yes it will fit but I need the power adapter. I guess I will figure out how this will work once I get all the parts in.

Arkanian said:
What? I need to see how I can going to put a X850Xt in this thing. Does anyone here have this shuttle and the X850Xt or any PCIe card that needs a 6-pin Molex connector?

After opening up my box today I checked. There is an extra molex coming off the floppy splitter. You should be OK with the adapter.

msny said:
After opening up my box today I checked. There is an extra molex coming off the floppy splitter. You should be OK with the adapter.
So there is one for the DVD Drive as well?

The PCI-Express power adapter takes 2x 4pin molex into its 6pin. That second one is not a pass through. I have a 6800GT installed in mine, and it requires the same as the x850xt. I had to use a splitter in order to power 3 hdd's, optical and the 6800GT.

Still working through installation issues... but I haven't been able to nail down whats causing me the trouble yet.

Arkanian said:
So there is one for the DVD Drive as well?

Yes, they give you a floppy drive cable with two molexs off it. One for the DVD the other
could be for the video card. This assumes your going SATA with the HD, those cables
are prewired for 2 drives installed on the top of the cage.

Look at the pictures on the Newegg site of the accessories for the cable.
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=56-101-468&depa=0

canislupy said:
The PCI-Express power adapter takes 2x 4pin molex into its 6pin. That second one is not a pass through. I have a 6800GT installed in mine, and it requires the same as the x850xt. I had to use a splitter in order to power 3 hdd's, optical and the 6800GT.

Still working through installation issues... but I haven't been able to nail down whats causing me the trouble yet.

What problems you having ?

Mine is solid. Ran hours of Prime95 and Memtest with no errors. Benches
are very high, even higher then in the reviews I've read.

May be my plextor 716, which is a SATA drive. When I install XP, the installation goes fine and so is the system. Its only when I install the nVidia drivers that XP then locks on boot. I can then run "last known good" boot and get back in to XP. Some problems with the drivers, dunno. Put newest firmware on the plextor. Might try my IDE sony drive instead.

Hy hdd is a newer Maxtor NCQ drive, so could that be the problem as well?

System ran prime95 stable all night, and is still going actually. I'm seeing 48C on CPU, and 56-61C on the GPU (6800GT). Cover is off, as the temp goes up a few degress C when its on.

canislupy said:
May be my plextor 716, which is a SATA drive. When I install XP, the installation goes fine and so is the system. Its only when I install the nVidia drivers that XP then locks on boot. I can then run "last known good" boot and get back in to XP. Some problems with the drivers, dunno. Put newest firmware on the plextor. Might try my IDE sony drive instead.

Hy hdd is a newer Maxtor NCQ drive, so could that be the problem as well?

System ran prime95 stable all night, and is still going actually. I'm seeing 48C on CPU, and 56-61C on the GPU (6800GT). Cover is off, as the temp goes up a few degress C when its on.
Well if it is only the video card drivers then it may be your video drivers you think. Have you tried other recent drivers on the net?

By nVidia drivers I meant the nforce chipset drivers.

Looks like there might be newer nforce4 drivers, will have to check to make sure and try them out if they are.

EDIT: the new drivers work... missed them somehow when looking for them before on nvidia's web site.

canislupy said:
By nVidia drivers I meant the nforce chipset drivers.

Looks like there might be newer nforce4 drivers, will have to check to make sure and try them out if they are.

EDIT: the new drivers work... missed them somehow when looking for them before on nvidia's web site.

Linkage please !

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp2k_6.53

These drivers worked. Fixed whatever issue I was having with either my SATA Maxtor hdd or the Plextor 716 SATA DVD/RW.

For some reasong the driver set I found on nvidia.com was an older one. Not sure what the hell I was doing to get those and not these newers ones. All's well that ends well in any case.

Currently running prime95 over an hour stable so far....

3200+ @ 2320MHz, 232 x 10, 1.475v (1.424v), 35 deg C
1GB OCZ Plat Rev.2 @ DDR464 2.5-3-3-6-1t 2.68v
HT 1160 (5x 232, 1.55v)
Fans set to Mid (Full was way loud)

Boots 250fsb / DDR500, but not stable at this point. Working my way up. :D

^^^ Sounds good, report back when you find your optimal OC's and what your bottleneck was

I'm gonna H20 Cool a 3500+ and I'm hoping the Shuttle's mobo doesnt screw me over ;)

ordered CPU and vidcard today, last parts I needed.

Final config:

fx55
msi x800xl
2x512 corsair xms pc3200(already had)
2x72GB SATA raptors(already had)
1x180GB EIDE deskstar(already had)
plextor 712a(already had)
logitech diNovo combo(already had)
HP L2335(already had)
Sony VPL-HS20(already had)
Creative gigaworks S750(already had)

After shelling out for a 6800gt and an x800pro for two other boxes in the past year or so, I didn't feel like shelling out huge bucks for another vidcard just because I needed pci-e. The x800xl looks like a nice compromise. I'll post some pics once the cpu and vidcard arrive later this week, I suppose.

Should be fun, albeit noisy and hot fun. Then again, hot and noisy can be appealing, in the right context. :D

eastvillager said:

Final config:

fx55
msi x800xl
HP L2335(already had)

After shelling out for a 6800gt and an x800pro for two other boxes in the past year or so, I didn't feel like shelling out huge bucks for another vidcard just because I needed pci-e. The x800xl looks like a nice compromise. I'll post some pics once the cpu and vidcard arrive later this week, I suppose.

Should be fun, albeit noisy and hot fun. Then again, hot and noisy can be appealing, in the right context. :D

Nice system mine is similar see sig. I think the x800 xl will serve you well. I debated
getting an xt or a 850 xtpe but the prices were just to high right now. Then again that gives us an upgrade path for later on :)

Is up and running, no issues so far. I don't hear the drives, but when the smartfan kicks into overdrive, is like a jet turbine spooling up. Had to get new cables for the sound stuff, but that was only $20 at radio shack.

I've got most of my stuff reinstalled, played WoW for a few hours, steam is downloading hl2 and cs:s right now.

eastvillager said:

Final config:

fx55
msi x800xl
HP L2335(already had)

Which video card/HS combos will fit into the SN25P and still:

1)Allow the use of the cpu shroud
2)Allow the use of the drive cage
3)Exhaust hot air out of the case

shaocaholica said:
Which video card/HS combos will fit into the SN25P and still:

1)Allow the use of the cpu shroud
2)Allow the use of the drive cage
3)Exhaust hot air out of the case

You have plenty of clearance for all 3 options with most vid cards
even double wide. What won't fit is some cards that have a large heatsink
only, no fan. Everything is far removed from the slot,,,,

I can tell you for a fact that the ATI Artic silencer 5 Will not fit .

msny said:
You have plenty of clearance for all 3 options with most vid cards
even double wide. What won't fit is some cards that have a large heatsink
only, no fan. Everything is far removed from the slot,,,,

how doesnt the Silencer 5 fit? is it where it hits the CPU shroud? or is it the drive cage? or both. more info is always apreciated.

I have the NV5 Silencer on my 6800GT in my SN25P and it fits - originally I had to leave out the drive cage and side fan shroud.

Recently I purcahsed a Plextor SATA DVD/RW drive and installed it internally after modifying the drive cage with my dremel by taking 1/4 inch out of the side of the lower floppy drive section to make room for the NV5 shroud.

SN25P-8.jpg

You guys with X850XT-PEs needn't worry about the extra molex.... X850XT-PEs only require one four-pin molex and that's passthrough... Plus your card (even OEM) should have come with the 4pin molex to 6pin PCIe connector passthrough cable (meaning you won't lose a 4pin molex either).

peace,
OrignalOCer

Yep this is what I would have had to do also with the ATI silencer 5 on my x800xl . You need to remove some of the drive cage and the black plastic shroud for the cpu . On the ATI version the memory heat plate that goes on the back interferes with the shuttle cover to the point where you could not close the cover .

dworley said:
I have the NV5 Silencer on my 6800GT in my SN25P and it fits - originally I had to leave out the drive cage and side fan shroud.

Recently I purcahsed a Plextor SATA DVD/RW drive and installed it internally after modifying the drive cage with my dremel by taking 1/4 inch out of the side of the lower floppy drive section to make room for the NV5 shroud.

SN25P-8.jpg

I also wanted to add you can MAKE it fit by modding the case . But stock with everything in the case the way it was ment to be it will not fit .

_Korruption_ said:
Good SN25P review here, with lots of high-res juicy images at GamePC. Put it on the first page!

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=sn25p&page=1

Nice one !

Best info there was this:

"The SN25P does support AMD’s Cool and Quiet technology, although there is no option to enable/disable it in the BIOS. However, if you have the AMD processor driver installed and Power Management is set to “Minimum”, Cool and Quiet will automatically enable, allowing your processor to clock itself down when not in use to save power and produce less heat. Change your power management mode back to normal, and the chip will run at full speeds all the time."

I enabled this in BIOS temps droped from 43C to 39C at idle....

Is the CPU shroud even effective? Can someone take some temp measurements with and without the shroud?

shaocaholica said:
Is the CPU shroud even effective? Can someone take some temp measurements with and without the shroud?

Very good question. I've got an ati silencer v5, I think, that I've yet to install. I don't mind cutting up the drive cage if I have to, but I'm not really comfortable about removing that cpu shroud. I'd like to think it is there for a good reason. :)

eastvillager said:
Very good question. I've got an ati silencer v5, I think, that I've yet to install. I don't mind cutting up the drive cage if I have to, but I'm not really comfortable about removing that cpu shroud. I'd like to think it is there for a good reason. :)

I beleive it is. If you look at the picture of airflow on this at the Shuttle website you soon see that the shroud is directing the air in then DIRECTLY out of the case. Without it it may linger in there and raise the temps for everything else like vid card, ram ect.

It would defeat the purpose of splitting the heat disapation into zones.

I would not want to be without mine.....

I have absolutely no issues sicne removing the fan shroud and I am using an FX-55 (runs at 24C with cool and quiet and does not exceed 50C under heavy gaming for hours.)

Another point to make is that if the fan shroud was in place it would most certanily direct most of the air in to the CPU. With it off I can definitely feel lots of cool air being drawn in through this grill to to be vented to the CPU and Video card fans!

dworley said:
I have absolutely no issues sicne removing the fan shroud and I am using an FX-55 (runs at 24C with cool and quiet and does not exceed 50C under heavy gaming for hours.)

Another point to make is that if the fan shroud was in place it would most certanily direct most of the air in to the CPU. With it off I can definitely feel lots of cool air being drawn in through this grill to to be vented to the CPU and Video card fans!

The cool and quiet does make a big difference I've noticed...

That's interesting, because NONE of the review samples have come up with it. If it's true, it will save me from having to get an SN26P for the ultra chipset features, but I really doubt it.

IdiotInCharge said:
That's interesting, because NONE of the review samples have come up with it. If it's true, it will save me from having to get an SN26P for the ultra chipset features, but I really doubt it.

Odie confirmed it. More proof than that would be for Shuttle to cry it out of rooftops... or make a press release...

I have considered buying an SN25P and putting a Gigabyte GV-RX80256D fanless video card in it.
Would this be a huge mistake?
I have a 74GB Raptor and another WD 7200 rpm SATA drive I would put in it (possibly).
Would this setup "spontaneously combust" ??? :)
I am assuming that this is not the best cooling and/or quietest system to go with.
Correct or incorrect?
I am currently running a system inside a Lian Li PC60 case with 2 intake, 1 exhaust plus the power-supply exhaust.
How would cooling in an SN25P compare to this setup (I know that no one can say exactly or for sure, just wondering).

Thanks,
Andrew
Austin, TX

I've been waiting on this forever only to find out there is no PCI slot. Dammit!!

Leaves USB as the only option for wlan, and every usb wlan card I've dealt with has been complete junk.

Decelerate said:
Odie confirmed it. More proof than that would be for Shuttle to cry it out of rooftops... or make a press release...

...which would be enough proof for me to believe it.

NewBlackDak said:
Leaves USB as the only option for wlan, and every usb wlan card I've dealt with has been complete junk.

Reports are that the PN15G works, if you're willing to sacrifice the top rear drive bay

IdiotInCharge said:
...which would be enough proof for me to believe it.

This might take a while... if ever. This is no mainstream product, and people who are into this usually know where to knock for information, so Shuttle might not bother.

Doesn't mean that it's ok though. A press release would settle things...

Back