smtp.live.com no longer accepting emails (since June 2017)

metropole

Limp Gawd
I am using my hotmail account for several years to allow a home automation software to send alerts.

I have configured outbound emails for smtp.live.com on port 587. This has been working great for years.

It has stopped working since June. Nothing else has changed. I double checked password/settings...

The home automation client (software did not change) runs on Windows Server 2012.

I can login to my homtail account through a web client and send emails from there.

Go look at the outlook website. I think they switched over to Microsoft Exchange only a while ago. I know my MS Outlook stopped working and when I went to check, the website said to remove the account (some of which were configured as pop3 and some as imap) and re-add them again in outlook (which now lists all of them - both hotmail.com and outlook.com - as MS Exchange)

See: https://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/outlookcommigrationinfo.htm#why

I wonder if my old client is still supported.

It looks like those are the smtp settings:
  • SMTP server: smtp-mail.outlook.com
  • Port: 587
  • Encryption: TLS
I tried changing from smtp.live.com to smtp-mail.outlook.com but did not make a difference. My client only supports SSL and not TLS. At least there is a checkbox for SSL and not TLS. Wonder if this is the issue? Did MS change recently from SSL to TLS?

Back