-smp 7 not possible in v7? a quick clarification please

jojo69

[H]F Junkie
Lit up the 6950s as bitminers, the effect on my -bigadv unit is just apalling, probably not going to make bonus at all.

Used to be that you could set -smp 7 but I have been searching and I'm finding conflicting information.

Is -smp 7 possible in v7 or do I have to roll back my client?

Roll back, SMP -7 will not be accepted with some cores and auto roll you back to smp -6, other cores will accept -smp 7, but crash on certain units.

H.

thanks for the reply

how would you even set it in v7 (just so I learn something, I get it that it will not work)

As mentioned, some fahcores roll the -smp 7 setting back to 6 cores, as those fahcores do not work well with an odd number of threads.

Some fahcores work just fine with -smp 7 and change nothing.

The thing not mentioned yet is that using -smp 7 in V7 will prevent the SMP slot from downloading -bigadv work units.

And you can set that when installing an SMP slot in V7. Or after installation, click Configure, Slot Tab, select the SMP slot, click Edit. In the SMP section, change the number of CPUs using the up/down arrows. Click OK. Click Save.

Done.

whoa

The actual 7im? with the ming the merciless avatar? posting in my thread?

Your reputation precedes you sir, I shall endeavor nor to rouse your ire.

The situation as it stands I have my most recent bigadv solving at a snail's pace since I lit up the GPUs, I'm sure the bonus is already shot, at this point I'm trying to find a way to finish it by final deadline without halting the miners. When I set the cores to 7 as described above my CPU utilization drops to 88% but activity is still distributed across all 8 cores and the wu still crawls. I tried affinity locking.

I'm not familiar with the bitcoin performance profile. At most, 2 GPUs could be using up to 100% of two cpu threads, but not likely using that much. I also don't know what priority that application runs at.

Also not sure that raising the fahclient client priority setting would change anything if the GPUs are running at normal priority.

Lastly, and IIRC, the affinity locking in V7 is not fully functional yet in the latest release. So at this time, your best bet may be a third party app, like process lasso, if you wanted to reserve some threads for bitmining, and some for fah. Then set the Fah client cpu count to match.

Again, this is all for the sake of educating V7 users since you asked about V7. Rolling back to v6 is a good recommendation. The info on how to tweak a v6 setup is much more common knowledge, so you'd get a lot of good feedback going that route.

If you're mining in windows, make sure you set all of your miners affinity to use the same core. Or you could run linux and not worry about cpu utilization when mining (cpu bug doesn't exist in linux).

Back