Smoothwall confusion

Keith130

Limp Gawd
So I've just d/led the smoothwall manuals and it left me with a few questions.

My setup will be:

xDSL Modem --> Smoothwall --> Linksys BEFW11S4 v3 --> Wireless + Wired Network

1. Will it work with this ( HERE ) modem and can the smoothwall do the routing?

2. Can smoothwall do port forwarding for games etc.

3. What ports should I open up for general things like BitTorrenting, Shareaza, MSN Messenger etc.

4. Can I put a print server process/daemon on it for the printer?

5. Im not familar with linux but if it has a kernal panic then will it automatically reboot and start firewalling etc again?

6. Will it work OK with a VoIP phone and not cause a delay?

1. that modem has an etherent if, so it will be fine, all you do is have the ethernet cable from that to the smoothwall box
2. Yes
3. You can probably find all that info via google, by typing the title of the program/game and "ip port" or "port forwarding" or something like that
4. I don't know if Smoothwall has those ablities, you might read there online doc's if they have any.
5. Kernelpanic will halt the os completely, it won't shut it self down, or any thing, it will completly lockup, but don't expect it to happen very often. There have only been a few times I have gotten a kernel panic, and pretty much all of them due to the fact I left out support for my root filesystem so it couldnt mount it at bootup.
6. I have no idea if it will work at all, but your adding another device between it and the destination, so expect at least a small addition to the delay it already would have, which might not be much really. Don't expect any delay it might add though to be significant.

Thanks alot, just to check Ive got a 350MHz processor and 64MB RAM will that be enough?

Back