Smoothwall alternative? That runs on Windows?

dBTelos

[H]ard|Gawd
I've had lots of problems with smoothwall, and their are so many options I have no idea what to put what in, I just figure it would be much better if I had a piece of software that ran on a Windows install. I could have an entire system dedicated to running this software, as long as it isn't some Unix/Linux install that required every last option set for it. I want something somewhat automated. Any suggestions?

You seem like you dont want to go thru the effort in learning how to run a stable network.
Maybe you can put some time in using google to find a lazy mans admin tool.... rwar..

http://www.netadmintools.com

and btw. I have had no problems with smoothwall on multiple systems.. over a year now..
tried a few others. smoothwall is a easy setup.. but its not the best..
Im a bit hyprocrital, but i havent put the full time in setting up a fully scripted linux firewall, thats why i relay on bundle packages like smoothwall and ipcop

sorry for the bitter response.. if you want something done right.. seriouslly take 3 hours out of your life and learn.

The closest to smoothwall\m0n0wall\endian\pfSense etc. you'll get on Windows is Routing and Remote Access built into Windows 200x Server Editions. As far as I'm aware, there isn't an all in one 'automated' zero-config NAT\Firewall\DHCP\DNS server in a box for windows. It's all just bits and pieces in the Manage your Server window. There's a DNS Server, DHCP Server, Web Server, etc. Only problem is that Windows 2003 Server will set you back a fair bit and the CALs aren't cheap either. If you found any all-in-one network server package for Windows, I can't imagine it being any easier to set up than smoothie as well.

The cloest you'll get on Windows XP\2000\9x is Internet Connection Sharing. Smoothwall is meant to emulate an actual hardware WAN router\NAT router with heaps of extra features. And it does a pretty damn good job at doing it. I'd be interested in exactly what problems you're referring to when you say it's 'lots of problems'

I used to run smoothwall and at first the initial setup was confusing...but then I was also the moron for installing 4 NIC's in the system to begin with (dunno why I did it..I had 4 laying around so I prolly figured why the hell not :p )

I've been running Endian now for a bit and like it better than Smoothwall. The setup was a bit easer. Basically you let it install itself and when it's done and reboots, just plug your pc into the port and load up the web interface. At that point, it's every bit as easy as a windows install.

But yes, I agree on taking the few hours and reading up on things a bit. If you're going to run a dedicated firewall "appliance" I wouldn't run it on Windows. There are just way to many security holes to trust it. There's just something about using an OS which has a whole series of security updates released on the 2nd Tuesday of EVERY month that scares me away from using it as a firewall.

Hell, if you're unsure about the setup, d/l VMWare server (it's free) and load it up on a VM to see how it loads.

I mean all the IP addresses, settings, and other things that I have to input. I just don't know what to fill in the boxes. I'll take a look at Endian though.

dBTelos said:
I mean all the IP addresses, settings, and other things that I have to input. I just don't know what to fill in the boxes. I'll take a look at Endian though.

When you get the basic install done, give us a run down of your setup and we'll help you out with the IP information you'll need.

Check the forums for smoothwall, there are alot of instructions and a plethra of users to help.

Malk-a-mite said:
When you get the basic install done, give us a run down of your setup and we'll help you out with the IP information you'll need.

I already installed Smoothwall, just putting in the settings that I though were right, but most of them probably were not. I also noticed that when I boot the system up, after I installed smoothwall, it asks for a Username and Password. I've put in every username I could think of, but I remember setting all the passwords as the same thing, but once I put in the username, I can't type in the password box.

dBTelos said:

Frankly if you don't know what the IP, Subnet mask, Default gateway, etc are or should be, you will have dificulty on any system - smothwall, windows or anything else. All of those entries are important.

dBTelos said:
I've had lots of problems with smoothwall, and their are so many options I have no idea what to put what in

Im in the same boat as you are, just got my box online last weekend with some help. If your looking for something simple with a button to check yes or no... Buy a linksys or Dlink. But, if you have a basic understanding of networking and some time to learn, that smoothwall box is going to be hard to beat.

I have problems getting VPN to work, and forwarding ports. Its not Ipsense's fault, its my own for clicking buttons and not taking the time to read the manuals. Stick with it, theres more than enough knowledgeable people in these forums to get just about anything set up.

If you still cant get it going, take some screenshots/use hypercam2 and stick up the pics/video. Make sure to use a low bitrate codec, nobody wants to DL a 2 gig video.

Maybe I'll do that tomorrow, my question right now is that is my install borked or something because of my login/password issue? Read a couple posts up.

you should always be able to login with Root or Admin. However, during the last part of the install it should have asked you for passwords to use for those accounts. If I remember right, it won't let you continue without entering them.

Question is...do you remember what you put in there??

Wingate is a proxy server for Windows. It's great at doing that - proxying. From what I remember of Wingate, it only proxies traffic on certain ports, and everything is routed, not on virtual network adapters\physical network adapters *aka. Bridge.

As someone said previously, if you don't understand IP Addresses and what not, you'll have trouble setting up any smoothwall-type linux or windows software.

As for smoothwall, I've set it up myself a few times, and used it quite a lot. It's a very good product for what it claims to do. Your issue with the passwords, have a look in the manual. It describes everything VERY easily.

You also might want to look into ClarkConnect. From what I remember of it, it's very simple to use and install.

i vote for clarkconnect too.. but, if you can't handle ip and netmask you won't be able to handle anything.. get a router from bestbuy.

I remember the passwords exactly.... It's just that after I put in the username/log in, it won't let me type anything into the password box. All I can do is hit enter with no password. I'll try out the things you guys suggested.

if I remember right, nothing shows up in the password box even when you're typing. Actually, when I installed smoothwall I don't think the cursor even moved :p

nst6563 said:
if I remember right, nothing shows up in the password box even when you're typing. Actually, when I installed smoothwall I don't think the cursor even moved :p

So their is actually something there, I just can't see it? I'll see if that's the case in a minute.

dBTelos said:
I remember the passwords exactly.... It's just that after I put in the username/log in, it won't let me type anything into the password box. All I can do is hit enter with no password. I'll try out the things you guys suggested.

I'm running smoothwall right now, and if you are talking about a local log in, your cursor will not move when you type in the password. I hate to tell you, but if it isn't letting you log in locally, you almost definitely typed the password wrong. Try with caps lock on, and common misspellings (switching i and e...) I don't know what kind of box you are running this on, but my 233Mhz box installs it in about 15-20 minutes. It might just be easier to start over.

dBTelos said:

No matter what you use for a solution....you're going to have to make at least those 2x decisions anyways.

There will always be the "What is your WAN/Outside connection"
and
What is your "LAN/Inside connection"

Yeah a store bought router such as a Linksys or DLink, etc...will have that LAN/Inside connection pre-set for you.

Ok, I can log in now. I put root for the username and put in my password. Then it takes me to the command line. What do I need to do to make sure it's working right?

If you have a simple 2 nic setup. Red for internet and green for network, it should work right after you install it.

dBTelos said:
Do I just login and leave it running at the command line?

if the configuration is correct you just leave it running at the prompt...

I honestly only "logged in" to my smoothwall box a couple times to make configuration changes, install a mod(s) or update and then rebooted it. You actually don't have to log into it for it to work. Just hit the power button and walk away basically. If your hardware is good (IE, doesn't fail), then you could realistically hit that power button and not touch it again for months or even a year or more. I had my smoothwall box running 24x7 for slightly over a year without a reboot. My Endian box has been running 24x7 for 2 months now and the only changes I've had to make are for portforwarding.

So if you've got things plugged into the right interfaces, like the other poster said, it should "just work".

Alright...I just booted up the Smoothwall box and it's sitting at the log-in screen. I can access the internet (which is how I'm posting this) while it's up and running. How do I know it's working?

dBTelos said:
Alright...I just booted up the Smoothwall box and it's sitting at the log-in screen. I can access the internet (which is how I'm posting this) while it's up and running. How do I know it's working?

I think if its up and running and giving you internet access, you could assume it's working.

enter the name you gave it into the address bar in IE/Firefox. It should prompt for login credentials. And like the other poster said...if it's running and you're plugged into it....it's safe to say it's working.

Now that it's working...you should go read through some of the Smoothwall.org forums. There's a lot of good info there to get familiar with your new smoothwall box. Lots of mods available that can make it better/more useful....but I wouldn't suggest doing those until you get quite a bit more familiar with it ;) (in other words...it's really easy to fubar a perfectly good installation)

1) For some reason now my log-in/password combo isn't working. I set the same password for both Root and System log-in's so I don't get confused. And it was working a couple days ago with the same log-in/password. Not sure what happened. I'm supposed to be putting in either Root or System for a log-in right?

2) What's the name supposed to be? The IP address I gave it? Like 192.168.1.52 or something similar.

Back