Smoldering M-Audio DSM1 $179 per monitor

http://www.audiomidi.com/m-audio-dsm-1-monitor

This deal is today only, I bought a pair when they were $400 a pair from audiomidi.

you will not find a better monitor for the price. I've only done a side by side with the yamaha msp5's and found that the msp5's were a little brighter but the DSM's had a much more extended range of frequencies.

Also, if you live in the LA area and don't feel like waiting for shipping you can go in and pick them up, audiomidi is in chatsworth.

edit: AudioMidi also offers free shipping with FedEx or UPS

edit #2: Apparently MusiciansFriend, Guitar Center, and Music123 (same company) have it for the same price if you'd prefer to shop there.

Last edited:
Heh. So compared to Audioengine A5s, way better?

I can't say for sure but looking at the tech specs the DSM1's seem to be somewhat better, but then again they're two entirely different classes of speaker.

Some nice things about the DSM1:
It supports S/PDIF so if you have an audio interface with crappy DAC's you can just run the digital out to the monitors and have them do the conversion.
They also offer some shelving options in case you find there's too much low/high for your tastes.

How are they different classes? My only gripe with the A5s is the lack of input variety. I know they were designed for mp3 players, and they still sound amazing with a good audio source, but yeah, my next monitors will definitely have better inputs.

How are they different classes? My only gripe with the A5s is the lack of input variety. I know they were designed for mp3 players, and they still sound amazing with a good audio source, but yeah, my next monitors will definitely have better inputs.

They're considered "multimedia speakers"
whereas the DSM1's are considered "Reference Monitors"

Input wise the DSM's have the A5's beat as they've got XLR, TRS, AES/EBU, and S/PDIF

FWIW: Music123 is owned by either MusiciansFriend or Guitar Center (MF is owned by guitar center now) So if you have any issue with sending your money to big companies AM has it for the same price and is a smaller business.

No I don't work for them, I've just had great shopping experiences with them and they were the first to offer the DSM series at the prices they're now at.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I wish I had the desk space for nice speakers like these. I can barely fit AV40s :p.

What would i get to run these from a computer? you need an SPDIF per each speaker?

I have a Creative Titanium HD but it only has one optical out.

Damn tempting deal. Talked to a couple musician friends and these got the thumbs ups. Holiday budget is pretty much blown, but might try to squeeze for a pair of these. TY OP for the find.

How do these compare to Swans M200 MkII's?

I have the MKIII's and i'm curious about this aswell.

I can't speak for how the Swans are but at least based on the specs the DSM's offer a wider frequency response and better sensitivity.

What would i get to run these from a computer? you need an SPDIF per each speaker?

I have a Creative Titanium HD but it only has one optical out.

If you're planning on running toslink to them you'll need a toslink -> rca converter but then once it's in RCA format you just run it from computer to one speaker then out from that speaker to the other speaker and it's got switches to select which channel the speaker is using (L or R)

Deep discounts on audio equipment are pretty normal from my experience.

Out of everything I've seen this has been the biggest discount from what was the going rate, not even "msrp".

Damn tempting deal. Talked to a couple musician friends and these got the thumbs ups. Holiday budget is pretty much blown, but might try to squeeze for a pair of these. TY OP for the find.

NP, if you have any questions or are looking to see what people have to say this is pretty much the definitive thread for the DSM: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/625961-any-recent-opinions-regarding-m-audio-dsm-monitors.html

Last edited:
How does this sort of setup compare to home theater speakers? I use a receiver connected with optical out and have a set of sony speakers (some bookshelf types), wondering if its worth an upgrade or not.

How does this sort of setup compare to home theater speakers? I use a receiver connected with optical out and have a set of sony speakers (some bookshelf types), wondering if its worth an upgrade or not.

it *might* be, take a look at the specs, and it also depends on what you want.

They're awesome for listening to music on (but they're very focused, they have a sweet spot) but might not be as enjoyable for sitting on your couch and watching a movie.

gotcha, prob not for me then. I love movies and watch them more than I listen to music. Thanks for the feedback man :)

I'm sure these are great for music but what about gaming? I currently have a Creative Titanium HD hooked to a receiver and a low end Klipsch 5.1 system. I've never been very happy with my sound and want a substantial upgrade but gaming is important too.

I'm sure these are great for music but what about gaming? I currently have a Creative Titanium HD hooked to a receiver and a low end Klipsch 5.1 system. I've never been very happy with my sound and want a substantial upgrade but gaming is important too.

probably a bad idea if you *need* 5.1, but I don't really have any problems with gaming on them and i like the way they sound. I used to have one of the cheap 5.1 logitech sets and I haven't noticed much difference between the 5.1 and stereo setup. YMMV

they $179 at a lot of places

img,624.jpg

Hmm, the whole digital coax thing is cool but how do you control volume besides going to the back of the speaker? do audio interfaces still work like e-mu?

They should have listed the original price at $6489.00
The deal would have looked better this way.

Anyway thanks for sharing.

My guess is M-Audio must have dropped the price on these. So for those wondering that MSRP is total bullshit, even M-Audio doesn't list it at that (they list it at $650). However, it is lower than what you see many places. More than a few have it for $500 for one speaker.

So I image what has happened is M-Audio was able to drop the price, and some vendors have responded, others have not.

In terms of quality, these suckers are up there. They aren't quite to the level of, say, Genelec, but they are from M-Audio's high end of monitors and are in the same general class as similar Mackie monitors and so on. Head and shoulders above normal computer speakers.

In terms of digital input, they do S/PDIF thru so you only need one output. You take the out on your soundcard in to one speaker, then the thru form ti to the other. They have little switches to assign which one is left and right.

Another nice feature is they have a built in EQ so you can tailor it to your room or tastes. Not quite as nice as an actual automated measurement system like Audyssey on receivers or Genelec's Autocal but you can at least adjust things.

In terms of volume control, you'd do it in Windows. Works just fine.

They should have listed the original price at $6489.00
The deal would have looked better this way.

Anyway thanks for sharing.

Yes, because similar places selling them for 4 times as much just a little over a month ago has nothing to do with this being a good deal. I mean it's obviously crap because within the last couple of weeks everyone has dropped their prices to a similar range...oh, look at that the woofer just fell out of mine and the amp caught on fire because the magic of high prices has disappeared.

My guess is M-Audio must have dropped the price on these. So for those wondering that MSRP is total bullshit, even M-Audio doesn't list it at that (they list it at $650). However, it is lower than what you see many places. More than a few have it for $500 for one speaker.

That MSRP isn't entirely bullshit, when i bought mine (a while after audiomidi had put them on sale) everywhere else was asking $1300-$1400 a pair so audiomidi's MSRP might be a little exaggerated but it's not like they're like "oh, we're gonna say MSRP is over $9000 so people think they're getting a good deal even though we're bending them over and making apple like profits"

But yeah, apparently because the price has dropped to $180/$350 at most places this deal's not good. Which is fine, if you don't want a pair of these then don't buy them but you're not gonna find a better deal on monitors right now.

What a nonsense MSRP considering that everyone is selling them for around $180 now. BTW, for those that just glanced at the pic, its $360 for two, this is just for a single speaker. Also as monitors, in theory they are designed more for high volume music blasting applications, rather than lower volume clarity for watching TV/movies if you're hooking it up to your home theater.

These are going for cheap now as they have been replaced with a new-and-improved model for $250.

Last edited:
Back