Smoking XPS M170 Deal $1,349 + tax

PanzerBoxb

2[H]4U
Another deal from Dealnews.

Dealnews Link

Dell Inspiron XPS M170 2GHz 17" Widescreen Notebook for $1,349 shipped
Dell Home offers the Dell Inspiron XPS M170 2GHz 17" Widescreen Notebook with Pentium M 760 2GHz 533FSB processor, 17" UltraSharp 1920x1200 widescreen LCD with TrueLife, 1GB DDR2 SDRAM, 60GB hard drive, dual layer DVD burner, 802.11g wireless, 256MB nVIDIA GeForce Go 7800 GTX video card, PC-cillin Internet Security (15 months), Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, and a one-year warranty for $1,349. With free shipping, that's a $180 drop from our earlier mention and the lowest total price we've seen for an Inspiron XPS M170 laptop. Sales tax is added where applicable. To get this deal:

* click here and downgrade to the "Intel Pentium M Processor 760";
* select "60GB 7200rpm Hard Drive";
* choose "Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless";
* select "No productivity suite" under "Office Software";
* on the next page, downgrade to "1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support"; and
* choose "None - subtract $59" under "Carrying Cases".

[***EDIT: The deal is now dead.***]

seems like a good deal. I think ill bite on this one and if the machine sucks i can always send it back

winuxgeek said:
seems like a good deal. I think ill bite on this one and if the machine sucks i can always send it back

It is quite good, winuxgeek. I ordered one two weeks ago with one of the discounts at the time. It is a nice laptop. Once I found this smoking deal (dropped the total about $400) I went ahead and ordered another one. I figure I can either leverage Dell to discount my original order and cancel this one or return the first one and keep this one.

Well that is one great deal I ordered mine yesterday for exacly $300 more and they did not want to take $300 off my total so I had them cancel it. Time to order another. :rolleyes:

It was so funny that this came up. I was looking for a computer that was rather quite but had enough power to game and I stumbled across this gem. I realize that in game the fans will ramp up, but as long as this baby stays quite during general use she will be a keeper. "keeps fingers crossed"

winuxgeek said:
It was so funny that this came up. I was looking for a computer that was rather quite but had enough power to game and I stumbled across this gem. I realize that in game the fans will ramp up, but as long as this baby stays quite during general use she will be a keeper. "keeps fingers crossed"

My 9300 w/ 2GHZ Pentium M and 6800 Go was very quite with the fans on low.

I am writing this from my M170. It is very quite for general use and does not get near as loud as the first gen XPS laptops do when running intensive applications.

PanzerBoxb said:
I am writing this from my M170. It is very quite for general use and does not get near as loud as the first gen XPS laptops do when running intensive applications.

I can imagine those P4 laptops were rather loud.

Would it be possible to drop a core duo in that thing at some point in the future? Sounds like a quality mobile gaming platform...

GLSauron said:
Would it be possible to drop a core duo in that thing at some point in the future? Sounds like a quality mobile gaming platform...

I do not believe their BIOS will support it. The next generation of XPS systems will support it though.

GLSauron said:

The CoreDuo's aren't pin compatible, despite having the same number of pins on the processor.

Thanks. I convinced my dad to pick one up for work. Hopefully I can get some time on it. It is better than my desktop, after all. ;)

itsmikey said:
i am so tempted to use my 29% dell card for this.
no need to pay interest good sir, once added to cart you should see
"No Interest for 18 months on XPS systems when using Dell Preferred Account"

Ordered one.

I`ll be selling my like new alienware p4 3.4ghz here pretty soon :)

lol your going to now see like 20 more desktops for sale in the trade/forsale section of this website due to this coupon. I cant wait to get mine.

This is hot. I just got mine last week and paid about 300 more. This laptop is sweet and is my first since my old IBM 366 celly thinkpad.

It plays WoW awesomely at widescreen res. I did have to make the text bigger in some web pages as that resolution was way more than what I'm used to. Must mean I'm getting old. :p

I've convinced two co-workers to jump on this deal. One already had an order in so he canceled it and saved a bit over $400.

I love mine (I can't say the same for their XPS service though). I bought mine when they had a 35% off coupon. It was a great deal for the setup.

anyone think it can possible go any lower, I already cancelled twice now to reorder everytime it got cheaper lol.

Hope so but same time I hope not because I wanna get this thing, not have to cancel again! ahh!

Woke up this morning and didn't see any financial discount promotion in my account that WAS there last night and WAS on my order summary.. I`ve been on hold with the dell ppl for 20 minutes while they try to fix it so I get the no-interest financing, they are having to cnacel other order and re-submit!!!

I don't think it's going to go any lower. It's pretty much rock bottom now, but Dell can suprise me. :p

I just ordered mine... Anybody want to buy my Sony FS series centrino 2.0Ghz, 1GB ram, XP home, 80GB (5400 rpm 16MB cache) laptop?

I really like the sony but the integrated graphics started to get on my nerves.

Count me in. Your gonna see a D/C Opteron 165 Rig for sale soon :p :D PM if you are interested at all.

I had to get in on this. My configured price was $1633. No tax, no shipping cost. I stuck with the 60 GB HDD, but bumped the RAM up to 2GB. I could have just done the 1GB option from Dell and then bought 2 GB of RAM at places like NewEgg or ZZF, but then I'd have to dick around with trying to sell the original 1 GB. Not really worth the hassle.

I also got the Bluetooth option installed and 2 years of the PC-cillan for 20 bucks

1349 (Deal base price)
+ $225 (2 GB RAM)
+ $39 (Bluetooth)
+ $20 (2 yr AV)
=
$1633

I already have a buyer for my old HP laptop, so my final cost is $983 :D Maybe less if haggle with the buyer a bit more.

The deal is back. Woohoo XPS 170 for 1349!! buy a 1.7 and pin mod it, and grab an extra 1GB stick from newegg and you are ready to rock :D

I knew I should have cencelled my Dell finance account!!! Oh well...Now I am in debt again...damn XPS deals...too good to pass up.

Now I just need to sell my Dell 600M and I will feel better!!

I bit too. LOL I just got a E1705 last month! gonna see what I prefer and sell the other one

Thanks, I bit and will sell my 9300 when this arrives.

A word to the wise: Get the two year warranty at least! Seems expensive, but you'll thank me when the thing stops charging at month 13 and Dell needs to replace the whole motherboard to fix it.

well I have the room on my DPA and this way I can test both side by side and see what works best gor me. second, both were purchased with huge savings so if I sell either one I will probaly profit looking at the going rates on ebay.

DON"T GET THE WARRANTY YET!!! when I bought my e1705 i got the base warranty and sure enough they sent me an offer in the mail to go to the 4 year at home for 235.00 instead of the 330.00 they are listing it at now

amd ati FO SHO said:
thats crazy...
He probably didn't realize that the E1705 isn't the best for gaming. Its video card, the 6800Go, is pretty much about as fast as a desktop 6600GT. Not good for high-native-resolution LCDs like these 17" Dells have, unless you're willing to run at non-native resolutions which usually looks ugly to some degree.

well my e1705 actualy has a 7800 go. it games everything just fine. I did this because I can compare the two and see what works best for me, and probably turn a profit, if not at least break even. They are mostly the same but I game alot and I have my desktop for encoding and storage

The main differences:

XPS170

Pros
7800 GTS
standard PCMCIA Slot

Cons
2.0ghz centrino NON dual core
no media direct

E1705

Pros
2.0ghz core duo
media direct