Smoking hot 1TB for 29.99 AR

A highly unreliable drive, series, and manufacturer. But if none of that bothers you, and the huge Seagate rebate doesn't bother you, then smoking hot.... although it physically hurts me to say any deal involving this drive is hot.

Last edited:
A highly unreliable drive, series, and manufacturer. But if none of that bothers you, and the huge Seagate rebate doesn't bother you, then smoking hot.... although it physically hurts me to say any deal involving this drive is hot.

Drive and series I can see being called unreliable but manufacturer? The only high end SAS drives I use are Seagate and Hitachi.

Drive and series I can see being called unreliable but manufacturer? The only high end SAS drives I use are Seagate and Hitachi.

Hitachi sure, but I'm done with Seagate. Had way too many failures and especially defectives out of box or within weeks. I have 13 drives in my home array, none of them Seagate anymore. Just can't trust 'em.

Tiger has been bundling these drives with cheap quad core combos. I have probably resold about 30 machines with these drives in the last year and haven't had a single one come back with a hard drive issue.

Now the rebate makes it ice cold IMO but i think the drives fine.

I've had doa seagates, wds, hitachis, samsungs, toshibas. I see them all in for repairs none more prevalent then the others. I think all hd manufactures suck lol. I wouldnt trust any single drive with important info regardless of make and model.

Bought a 500gb Seagate a over a year ago and it's still running 24/7 in my HTPC.

It's the huge TigerDirect rebate that kills this one. I've had this particular drive for a long time, it's been great. Seagate had problems with their 7200.11 spindle, not the LP series.

Tiger has been bundling these drives with cheap quad core combos. I have probably resold about 30 machines with these drives in the last year and haven't had a single one come back with a hard drive issue.

Now the rebate makes it ice cold IMO but i think the drives fine.

I've had doa seagates, wds, hitachis, samsungs, toshibas. I see them all in for repairs none more prevalent then the others. I think all hd manufactures suck lol. I wouldnt trust any single drive with important info regardless of make and model.

I will say I like WD is fantastic for their RMA service. And Seagate sucks ass...

More companies need to take after Asus and provide the ultra fast 10 day turnaround rebate option. In which case I'd probably be hounding TigerDirect daily for deals. But because they don't, I won't even give this a first thought. Or anything with rebates.

Retailers need to list prices before rebates as rebates should be a bonus that makes a person go "ahhh cool", not to be a part of the selling factor, that just aggravates people.

All in all, 30 bucks for a 1TB drive, yeah definitely good deal. After a rebate? Hell na.

I was going to say "In b4 facepalm," but you guys beat me to it.

Anyway:
143dv.jpg

agreed, I see 2-3 of them die at work weekly. We prefer Samsung F4 2tb, or F3 1tb

Thanks for the info, but this is like the unholy trinity combination for me: Seagate, high rebate and TD.

Thanks OP. Received my $50 prepaid AMEX card from CA on 6/10/11. This is one of the fastest turn arounds on a rebate I have ever seen.

I put the drive into a Antec enclosure and it works fine.

I dont think its the specific manufacturer that makes a huge difference, I think its just the nature of Hard drives as a whole. They are really the only component in your whole computer that moving/shaking around can cause real damage, which is probably the case most of the time. That being said, I dont doubt that some manufacturers make a higher quality drive than others, but EVERY single on of them has a bad line of drives. Theres not a single manufacturer out that that I have not had at least 1 drive failure with. I generally tend to stick to WD and Samsung though, personally they have given me the least amount of trouble.

Thanks OP. Received my $50 prepaid AMEX card from CA on 6/10/11. This is one of the fastest turn arounds on a rebate I have ever seen.

I put the drive into a Antec enclosure and it works fine.

Glad it worked out for at least someone :D

These drives aren't bad for the cost, but you may get one that clicks randomly while idle. Seagate claims it's a low power feature to have the head park every 30 seconds, which makes a clicking noise on some of these drives.

Kingston and XFX have gotten back to me in about a month on recent rebates, but Hitatchi hasn't given me a $10 from about 3 months ago yet. So, for the most part I've been lucky with rebates but I try not to go for >$25 rebates on the off chance I'll never see that money again

Thanks for the info, but this is like the unholy trinity combination for me: Seagate, high rebate and TD.

Hahah, 3 strikes and you're out.

I would have jumped on this deal if it was any other manufacturer. I used to be a hardcore Seagate fan, but after their 7200.11 failures, I left them for WD. Never had a problem after that.

Back