Smokin' Hot Deal: Microcenter Inland SSD 1TB $89.99 + TAX

That is older, slower drive but for the money it's an INSANE deal. Nesrly ~35-40% cheaper then the top of the line model that was $139 if you can find them in stock.

I bought the 480gb version last year as a game drive for my laptop for $50. Been fine for that. I'm starting to think I need a TB for games :)

Cheap SSD. Don't expect Samsung speed or quality. But so far, so good.

How would these work as an unraid cache, storage for plex transcodes and plex appdata? Would I be served better by getting something a little faster?

How would these work as an unraid cache, storage for plex transcodes and plex appdata? Would I be served better by getting something a little faster?
For cache purposes, speed is important so I wouldn't cut corners on getting on of these new vs a faster drive used.

I am using 2x 480GB version of this drive as a Unraid cache and have had no issue. I have plex transcoding, all appdata, downloads, etc on there.

Not sure if its the same drive internals but I have had the 240gb setup for my plex appdata folder in windows box for a few years with no troubles/ pretty speedy.

Good find. Maybe we can keep this thread from going to shit.

Maybe.

Looks like there is no cache (or a very small one based on reviews for the Phison S11 controller).

Looks like there is no cache (or a very small one based on reviews for the Phison S11 controller).
This drive slows down pretty fast. I get about 3gb of decent transfer speed then it falls on its face (~100mb/s speeds) during data transfers.

Its 97$ on amazon. by the time I factor gas and my time, Amazon is the way to. I will report back. Its going in my 1U ESXi box

It really sucks that the faster TLC version of these drives was a little over $100 at this time last year, now they are $150.00.

Sabrent Rocket 109.jpg

Keep in mind this is SATA, not NVME. I'd skip this and get an NVME personally. I have a regular inland sata drive (not m.2) for a couple years and no issues. They're good drives for sure, have yet to see any people report issues with any inland drives. The prices are great in general for the inland drives.

Tried two of these SATA drives in my son's Asrock X470 Gaming K4 about a year ago (one from Amazon, one from Microcenter) and they would not be detected. Ended up having to go with an Adata 1TB SSD. I have the NVME version in my desktop and love it.

Last edited:
Tried two of these SATA drives in my son's Asrock X470 Gaming K4 about a year ago (one from Amazon, one from Microcenter) and they would not be detected. Ended up having to go with an Adata 1TB SSD. I have the NVME version in my desktop and love it.
You probably had the bios set to nvme for a Sata drive. Highly doubt you got 2 defective drives.

You probably had the bios set to nvme for a Sata drive. Highly doubt you got 2 defective drives.
There was some type of compatibility issue or they were both defective. I ended up using a 1TB ADATA SATA drive in his Asrock machine instead of the Inland one and it worked fine - with no change to BIOS settings. I have the NVME drive in my personal desktop (Asus X470 Prime Pro) not his.

I love this SSD. When I was using a HDD and Win 7 from the time I hit the power button to the time I could actually move the mouse to click on a program was like 5 minutes. When I upgraded to Win 10 (still on HDD) it decreased the time by about half. Now, running Win 10 on this SSD bad boy from the time I press the power button to the time I can open up a web browser or start playing music is less than 15 seconds. I do miss making coffee though when waiting for the PC to boot up.

Back