Smitfraud removal help!!!

Oldwolf

Limp Gawd
Hi all.

So I got hit with Smitfraud and I got the remover(v1.71). I followed the instructions 3 times. And now I get a new page every other time, instead of every time. Does anyone know of a sure fire way to get this thing offa my system? Thank you!

c:format? :)

there are just some bugs that i have gotten where it was more time effective to format then to fight with it for a few weeks.

make sure system restore is off when you run the removal tool as well, just a shot in the dark

Hi all.

So I got hit with Smitfraud and I got the remover(v1.71). I followed the instructions 3 times. And now I get a new page every other time, instead of every time. Does anyone know of a sure fire way to get this thing offa my system? Thank you!

I assume you searchd google for the word smitfraud and click on the very first link............

How to remove the Smitfraud / Generic Zlob / Quicknavigate / Virtual Maid

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic17258.html

But that is from 2005. ... exactly what directions are you using?

They often update the SmitRem tool. You can beat it without a format. Many tools to remove the Smitfraud/Spysheriff/SpyAxe variants.

SmitFraud infections (aka SpySherrif aka rogue utilities) is about the worst you can get. Many varients of this have morphed into full-fledged RootKits.

The worst right now is that damned WinAntiVirus Pro 2007 Rogue malware.

I recommend you try SuperAntiSpyware. It's the best of the free (for personal use) tools out there today, by far.

If that doesn't do it, you will have to weigh your time fighting it against the time needed to re-image the system.

Stay away from ComboFix. While it was a good tool, there is a specific trojan that's been written to recognize it's running, and the trojan will delete a lot of data from your machine if
ComboFix is run. It took a true bastaad to write that trojan.

Delemorte: I'd love to. But at this stage, that's not an option as I don't have the time.

Jay_Oasis: I'm already running AdAware and Spybot S&D.

Renixing: Yup. That was what the instructions said. I free'd up 10Gig when I did that.

Ye oldstonecat: SmitRem tool??? Thanks. I'll goog it.

TechLarry: BINGO! I'm getting the spyware add. Ok. Will try that.

Man, if you have the WinAntiVirus Pro 2007 rogue, I feel for you. I've had to re-image a lot of machines because of that one.

I have not tested it yet, but I was told by a co-worker that Windows Defender with the latest def's can clean it. You have to be running SP2 to use Windows Defender.

It's worth a try!

I can tell you that NOTHING else I've tried, including every tool listed in this thread so far, will remove WinAntiVirus Pro 2007. I'm fairly sure it's a RootKit.

I've spent as much as seven hours on one machine trying to remove this one without success.

Back