SMC: 10 Gigabit over copper RJ45 Category 5e.

Oh, just a little overkill.

You would need to raid together 20 harddrives or so at each end to saturate the line ;)

But good for datacenters or clusters where the LAN acts as the CPU interconnections.

Nope, its on a PCI-E x 8 (which should be 16 Gbits/sec max.)

Which means for most systems - instead of putting the videocard in the big slot, you put the network card in there.

Hmm, so 10g is now coming to the desktop? I dont think many people even saturate 10/100 nevermind 10/100/1000.

The point of announcing this card is that it's a huge leap in 10G server integration. Typically, 10G cards are twice what this one is retailing for and require either fiber or a very specialized copper connection. The ability to potentially support 10G without having to upgrade your infrastructure (well, aside from the core switches) is outstanding news for datacenter clients. That's why they are making a big fuss about it (emails, etc) -- now let's just hope that their drivers are decent.

It really doesn't have much use in anyone's home, even ours. :)

This is awesome. I wonder why I never saw this before.

I wonder if this is backwards compatible with 100/1000 connections? and if other companies will follow this standard?

*thinking about this card with an evil grin* A

I almost spewed my drink out seeing the price of their 24 port 10G switch. Almost $26K each. :eek:

you know its a kickass nic when it has a fan

and if i were in corporate networking i'd be all over this... i'd rather just get my crimp tool out and cut myself a length of cat5e to hook up 10g then have to go through all of the mess of fibre

$1K/port isn't too bad. Go check out Infiniband though. 20Gb or 40Gb per port. Copper or fibre. Cheaper than 10Gb Ethernet.

Sweet, another couple years and it should get below $200/card. Then all I need is decently priced gigabit switches with 1-2 10gig uplinks.

Back