SMB Employee Monitoring Software

KuJaX

[H]F Junkie
What software is commonly used in small & medium businesses to monitor an employee's computer activity?

activetrak https://activtrak.com/

I believe it's free for your first 3 users. It can be easily pushed out via GPO if needed and is very hard to spot unless you know what you are looking for.

In my experience most small businesses don't bother. Just throw a decent firewall in and filter out whatever you don't want employees accessing.

In my experience most small businesses don't bother. Just throw a decent firewall in and filter out whatever you don't want employees accessing.
Yeah, probably best idea. People would respond less negatively to just blocking stuff than they would being actively monitored. Plus, monitoring people (outside of the scope of an investigation) is a poor management decision.

Yeah, probably best idea. People would respond less negatively to just blocking stuff than they would being actively monitored. Plus, monitoring people (outside of the scope of an investigation) is a poor management decision.

I don't know man.

At this point in time, I think it is probably wise to assume that anything and everything you do on an employer network is monitored down to the detail. Even the guest WiFi. Especially if you are using their hardware.

This is why I have strictly separated machines for work and personal use. I won't even check my email or read the news at lunch on my work machine. The work machine is for work and work only.

I don't know man.

At this point in time, I think it is probably wise to assume that anything and everything you do on an employer network is monitored down to the detail. Even the guest WiFi. Especially if you are using their hardware.

This is why I have strictly separated machines for work and personal use. I won't even check my email or read the news at lunch on my work machine. The work machine is for work and work only.
What should happen and what does happen are two different things. Where I work, they have monitoring programs that decrypt https sites and can in clear text see everything. So I get it.

I prefer a balance between ensuring productivity and respecting privacy. Excessive monitoring can lead to discomfort among employees, possibly affecting morale.

My old company used Nice.
I wasn't part of that department but I'm pretty sure it didn't offer unsolicited lectures on how to live your life. So at least there's that.

KuJaX: Just an FYI, but BEFORE you move forward with implementing any monitoring software, you MUST be certain that your employee handbooks & company IT policies etc makes it clear to all employees that any & use of any company computers and other hardware (printers, scanners, fax ect) & software MAY or WILL be monitored for other-than-work usage, and also clearly defines what uses are prohibited (pron, ebay, selling/soliciting etc)...preferably with an acknowledgement page that the employees sign off on and then it is placed into their employee file...

And have your legal team review both the policy & the software to avoid any issues..:D

Back