Smasung DVD Drive Malfunction?

I got a major wierd problem. I have a Samsung SH-S223F Optical Drive thats run on a SATA interface. When I install games, during the install process, it just halts. The disc read light stops, and the dvd stop spinning. I have even let it run for an hour or more, and still no luck. It happens randomly too, so sometimes it works, and other time it doesn't. Grid for one will not install past 30%. Any tips on what I should Do

See if you can update the firmware on it. If you are unable to update it, or if you're still having problems after the update, then you may have to RMA it (if you've only had it for less than a month or so).

Actually its part of a new build that I just finished, but here's the kicker, if i go to my computer, and right click explore, the DVD starts getting read again. Its wierd, but its like i just kickstarted the drive. I tried doing that with DIRT during the installation, and then whola, it worked. So is this really an OS issue or the drive?
--
Thanks for the help

OS issue or drive issue? That I don't know.

You may want to try updating the firmware anyways, to "ensure" that the problem is not with the drive itself. You should also check the BIOS to ensure that the motherboard (at least) is recognizing the optical drive properly.

Back