Smartwatches with older phones?

PCunicorn

[H]ard|Gawd
I am thinking of getting a Evo 4G (because of Freedom Pop), but I REALLY want a smart watch. I've done. A little bit of research, and I can't tell. All I've seen is "Any phone with 4.3+". Now, I can get a 4.3 ROM for the Evo, so that's not a issue. What I'm worried about is the Bluetooth (or does it use NFC?). The Evo 4G has Bluetooth 2.1, the Smartwatches use BT 4 LE.

I am thinking of getting a Evo 4G (because of Freedom Pop), but I REALLY want a smart watch. I've done. A little bit of research, and I can't tell. All I've seen is "Any phone with 4.3+". Now, I can get a 4.3 ROM for the Evo, so that's not a issue. What I'm worried about is the Bluetooth (or does it use NFC?). The Evo 4G has Bluetooth 2.1, the Smartwatches use BT 4 LE.

It uses Bluetooth, and that's the big problem -- it's not going to work nicely, or at all. I would spring for the GS4 on FreedomPop if you just have to have a smartwatch.

You answered your question. Android 4.3 or higher and BLE 4.0 which should be available on most 2012 or newer phones.

Exactly, older bluetooth without the low power modes would kill the batteries in very short order.

Back