Smartphone Parts Supply Looking Bleak for 2017

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
We have looked to Digitimes for solid reporting from Taipei, Taiwan for a couple of decades now. This morning it reported that changes in the Smartphone market are going to greatly impact the volumes of those devices being made.

The risk for the global handset industry to brace for a shortage in supplies of some key components, including displays, memory products and optical sensing devices, in 2017 is rising due to strong demand from China-based smartphone vendors, according to sources from Taiwan's handset supply chains.

Inspired by market rumors indicating that Apple will adopt OLED panels for its next generation iPhone devices in 2017, China-based smartphone vendors, and others alike, have rushed to secure production capacity for small- and mid-size OLED panels, a move which will definitely cause a shortage in OLED panel supplies in 2017, commented the sources.

So get'um while they're hot? Oh wait, Note 7 is not on the market any more.

In my opinion, if you think Intel CPU's are boring - smartphones are just as bad. What major advances have we seen in the last few years? A little bit faster, a bit more ram, better gpu, slightly better camera, snooze, ...
I'd rather see a smartphone come out with a lot more battery life. Fuck the wafer thin designs - make mine a little bit thicker (just like I like my women) and a battery to go with it. I'd like to see 2 days on a single charge. Just saying.

In my opinion, if you think Intel CPU's are boring - smartphones are just as bad. What major advances have we seen in the last few years? A little bit faster, a bit more ram, better gpu, slightly better camera, snooze, ...
I'd rather see a smartphone come out with a lot more battery life. Fuck the wafer thin designs - make mine a little bit thicker (just like I like my women) and a battery to go with it. I'd like to see 2 days on a single charge. Just saying.
How are they going to make your phone obsolescence, early. Most are designed for 800 charges then failure is on its way, see two yrs on average. Have you noticed that when industry went from three yr contracts to two yrs the phones batteries shrunk also. Its probably just my imagination.

Where do all these 'Flash/Nand/Ram/SSD/GPU/LCD/Li-On' shortages articles come from? We see them all the time yet life and supply goes on.

I take 'shortages' as people having to queue constantly for stuff or pay 1000% cost increases.

Samsung/Apple etc. will still sell x million devices to those muppets that have to have a new phone every year.

Where do all these 'Flash/Nand/Ram/SSD/GPU/LCD/Li-On' shortages articles come from? We see them all the time yet life and supply goes on.

I take 'shortages' as people having to queue constantly for stuff or pay 1000% cost increases.

Samsung/Apple etc. will still sell x million devices to those muppets that have to have a new phone every year.
Every early Summer, we have a local refinery, storage, or distribution center, have a 'mishap' like clockwork and wouldn't you know, gas shoots up about 40 cents. And yet there is no shortage of gasoline, anywhere.

I would wager, that you would have no real problem buying a cell phone at any point and there will not be a fall off in smart phone sales either. But prices will bump, regardless.

Reactions: Uncle
like this
Every early Summer, we have a local refinery, storage, or distribution center, have a 'mishap' like clockwork and wouldn't you know, gas shoots up about 40 cents. And yet there is no shortage of gasoline, anywhere.

I would wager, that you would have no real problem buying a cell phone at any point and there will not be a fall off in smart phone sales either. But prices will bump, regardless.
I'm sitting on my phone (not literally) until it dies as it is still just as capable as the day I bought it (one of the supposedly flimsy iphone 6+). Now would be a foolish time for them to raise prices if other people are anything like me.

Basically, this is the "flood" excuse the memory industry needs to raise the prices through the roof. If that happens, it will end up hurting the videocard and AMD's new processor release as well.

They do that with food also. When oil went up past $100 a barrel so did food, transportation cost. All over the fake news media., for months on end. All about getting us psyched for acceptance. Oil went down to $50, our food prices didn't follow. With memory, past pattern has shortages rearing its ugly head early in the new year. I was wondering though, doesn't the large manufacturers buy way in advance to make sure they get the supply they need and less in the after market.

They do that with food also. When oil went up past $100 a barrel so did food, transportation cost. All over the fake news media., for months on end. All about getting us psyched for acceptance. Oil went down to $50, our food prices didn't follow. With memory, past pattern has shortages rearing its ugly head early in the new year. I was wondering though, doesn't the large manufacturers buy way in advance to make sure they get the supply they need and less in the after market.
Yeah I'm still waiting for that drop... Free market and all that jazz.

I'd like to see 2 days on a single charge.
Thing is, you can almost make it that long. The problems are all the junk that keeps itself running in the background. I've been using Shut App, and by running it before putting the phone back down or in my pocket, I get a day and a half. If I didn't use it for anything other than some random calls and texts, I'd probably make 48 hours.
This is how business works. Give a half assed reason that people will believe, and rake in the profits. Example: Oil sells for $78 a barrel. Goes up to $100, prices at the pump rise TODAY. Why? Service station owner says, 'Well, the gas I have to purchase to replace it will be more expensive, so I have to charge more in order to afford the new tankful.' Then the price plummets to $50 a barrel. Now he says, 'Well, I paid a lot more for the gas that's already in our tank, so I have to charge enough to make a profit on that so I can buy more'. And people believe it. That way, they get you coming and going, by pleading poverty all the way.

Last edited:
And people believe it. That way, they get you coming and going, by pleading poverty all the way.
I remember some forum thread where somebody was claiming gas companies have the slimmest margins out there -- all while the petroleum industry are posting record profits.

I remember some forum thread where somebody was claiming gas companies have the slimmest margins out there -- all while the petroleum industry are posting record profits.
What is forgotten is the oil companies generally control everything from the well head to refinery to service station, and can tack on what ever in between.

I'm just thinking you never tried a Droid Turbo?

As long as my phone isn't spending all it's time searching for signal because I happen to be in the sticks, the phone is never under a half charge at the end of the day. I plug it up anyway cause I don't want to change my routine cause I'll forget to plug it in and ....

So for me, I am just fine with a battery that goes all day and is sitting low at bed time cause that's when I will want to plug it in anyway. I wouldn't want to plug it in mid-day or late afternoon every day though.
That would get tedious.

You could use something like Tasker to make your phone automatically turn the cell radio off so it doesn't keep searching for a signal it's never going to see until it gets out of the sticks or you manually turn it back on.

Back