SmartOS any good?

zerodamage

Limp Gawd
Anyone used it? How easy is it to manage and how is performance compared to other platforms? I've been researching Virtual platforms for a while and am not sold on ESXi.

Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about ESXi? I've been using for the last 4 years and it is rock solid

Management limitations and the lack of driver support for NICs other than Intel.

I think you might need to due some more research. They support may more than Intel. You may need to load the driver/VIB afterwards, or you could just inject the driver into a custom ISO load.

I think you might need to due some more research. They support may more than Intel. You may need to load the driver/VIB afterwards, or you could just inject the driver into a custom ISO load.

I'm looking for simple, not something that may or may not work depending on how much free time I have to make it work. ESXi worked with my onboard NIC with version 5.1 but stopped with version 5.5 That alone is enough to make me look somewhere else.

So back to my previous question(s): Anyone else use SmartoS and is it any good?

After reviewing SmartOS and its documentation I would have to say that it most certainly is less simple than ESXi. Either way though, if you have your heart set on something else I would give the free version of Hyper-V a shot before going down the niche open source hypervisor route.

Back