Smart Thermo-electric cooling system ||| Finished!!!

cdabc123

Supreme [H]ardness
It is done!!!!!!!!!! it took abit to trouble shoot the last issue i had with the cooling system and I ended up switching out the esc for a relay but it is now working great. Just finished overclocking everything and have the r9 290 @ 1100mhz (will go much farther soon) and the i5 at 4.7ghz stable. I am considering upgrading so if anyone has a cpu that hits 5ghz+ I may be interested in buying it. temps are 50 under full load (im thinking of deliding the cpu as i belive thats the issue). Additionally, as promised im selling one of my main rigs now!!! either my dual xeon sr-x beast or this tec rig. Here are some pics.

http://imgur.com/a/H9WK0

~~~~original post~~~~

so I got board and though I would take the time to make a build utilizing a tec a arduino and some other parts to keep the cpu as close to ambient as possible without going under (condensation is a bitch). I recived the majority of my parts yesterday and put together a test loop today some parts are bellow and I could start uploading pictures if anyone is interested.

i5 2500k from cregslist

some mobo I forgot

havent decided on a gpu yet i was looking to trade my 980 ti away and get a watercooled on but might juts take one of my mining rig to use.

1/2 inch load af pump that wasnt ment for computers

150 watt TEC from across the ocean

heatcell from some 2000 minivan because it looked nice

airfilter from car because the fins on the heatcell are insainly thin and dust would annihilate its airflow

a cpu block and res from across the ocean

some foamed pvc and acrylic to build a case

some blue leds :p

and 3 gold+ 600 watt supermicro psus I have as backups for my mining rigs

let me know if anyone is intrested in me following this up as a build log like post.

note: will probably sell in dec if i dont fall madly fall in love with it ;)

Last edited:
im certainly interested, pics, lot of pics are also needed :happy:..

I have been very busy with life and setting up another mining server so this project has been on the back-burner however i did get the custom loop assembled and tested today. their is a little leaking around the connection that goes to the heat-cell but i should have that resolved soon. i will get pics of the loop up tomorrow. And i chose tecs simply because i can get precise control over their power output.

got the loop setup another issue i just now knoticed is it put the pump in upsidedown :( its a self priming pump so it still works but it will bother me till i fix it

second pic is of the air filter im using. I have had way too many issues with dust and the heatcell has very thin fins so i figured that one with a 110 cfm 80mm server fan should provide enough clean air for the computer,

i apologize for pic quality my selphone has a terrible camra. as i get close to finished i will get better pics.

http://imgur.com/a/5mB9W

I finished The case this weekend and got most of the wc parts mounted. The case consists of 1/4 inch acrilic (covered in brown paper) and 1/4 inch foamed pvc. The pics below have the heatcell mounted as well as the 140mm 200 cfm (yes 200) server fan on the inside and a 140 nxt fan on the outside as well as the 100 cfm 80mm fan as a intake. i also have the pump and tubing in. I decided to have the gpu and cpu in parallel because the pump has more then enough flow and i dont need hot water going to either. i dont have any scale but the case is pretty tiny leaving me very little room for everything i still need.

pics- better then the last ones
http://imgur.com/a/UD3W5

Interesting bit of kit. Look foward to 'hearing' more about it's performance and life.

Last edited:
Wow! An 80mm 110cfm AND a 140mm 200cfm! That's going to be L O U D !

i prioritized preformance :p The 80mm isnt too bad it has around the same scaling as a ref r9 290 but the 120 *(thought it was 140 :p) is pretty hard to ignore after around 50% and sounds like a jet at 100. These came from a dell r900 that had 4 of the 120's and 4 of the 80's (always at 100%) it was ridiculously loud.

i have a 80mm duct fan and at 100% it sounds around the same as the 120mm

got some more finished today. I finally got the loop up and going. and I sleeved the power supply cables (took a good 6+ hours and now my hands hurt) i used black with reflective thread peracord and i think it cam out pretty decent concidering these power suppls were never made to look good. I ended up going with 3 supermicro 1u server supplys (520w@120v or 600w@240) giving me up too 1200w for the mobo+cpu+gpu and 600 for the cooling system.

pics here- http://imgur.com/a/lJ1TS

finally got it up and running minus the tec and controller (soon to come hopefully) currently under full load with just the 140 mm nzxt (not the 80 or 120mm server fans) it will hit a max of 55 c leaving me about 20c I need to dissipate to get it to room temps. If anyone knows any significant amount about asic quality and overclocking let me know as i think i will try to bin the best 290 possible for this build (I have 11 290's available) some specs i have yet to post

lsi 400 gig warpdrive with 100 gigs dedicated to os and 300 in a raid 0 for everything else.
4 gigs of cheap ram (i may want to upgrade that)
r9 290 with koolerance block. (i will either bin 290's or put a wb on a fury x i have lying around.)

I appritiate any insite on trying to bin the gpus.

first version finished! i finnaly got everything working the way it should. temps

mode 1 (no power to tec only tested at idle)
80-85c

mode 2 (takes highest temp in case and uses that to set cpu temp)
50-55c idle
50-55c full load

mode 3 (takes lowest temp in case)
40-45c idle
40-45c full load

test (full power to tec)
10-20c med load

i belive im losing the most temp in the plate under the tec that reads the temps their. i have a steal washer that wasnt thick enough with two pieces of sheet metal and a thermistor samwitched between them. the thermistor in the plate is running at ambient but the cpu is still far from it so i ordered a copper plate of the right thickness to try to get the cpu closer to what i need. pics later

No power to TEC, even at idle, is dangerous...when they aren't powered they are very effective insulators. This was almost as bad as running a bare chip with no cooling at all.

No power to TEC, even at idle, is dangerous...when they aren't powered they are very effective insulators. This was almost as bad as running a bare chip with no cooling at all.
with no power to the Tec it idles at 60c and has a cutoff that turns it on at 90 but it never hits it. The regular mode gives varying power to keep the chip close to ambient.

Well either way it looks awesome and I dig the DIY engineering...I saw your reddit post and recognized the username :p

Well either way it looks awesome and I dig the DIY engineering...I saw your reddit post and recognized the username :p

well thank you. And I didn't do too bad on price either. I'm right around 300 total for the build. I just need to get a new ryzen or i7 at 5GHz+ and I will be happy

If XFR is everything they claim it is going to be, that setup should work really well with Ryzen.

If XFR is everything they claim it is going to be, that setup should work really well with Ryzen.
hopefully it doesn't eat watts when overclocked like amd products seem to do as I'm coming very close to the limits this Tec can do and I believe its the most powerful for the size I can buy. I'm going to jump the volts from 12 to its max of 14.4 but that may be all I can do.

Back