SMART says HDD Bad, but is it?

dracos

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok.. so my NAS is running raid 0 for now, it's a new NAS and I was just setting it up.

I was checking the drives storage and one of them is listed as being Bad via S.M.A.R.T. .

smartbad1.jpg

But when I actually pull the SMART info everything is listed as Healthy except for something called airflow-temperature-celsius

smartbad.jpg

I couldn't fit it all in the picture because the box wouldn't expand, but all of the attributes are listed as healthy except for that one.

I have two identical drives in the nas, both seagate 7200.12 and when I check the temperatures, there's a 2C difference between them.

The one listed as Bad is 2c higher than the other drive, which I don't think is horrible. Like right now one is 30C the other is 32C

I did some searching and couldn't find a definitive answer on what it means. Supposedly it means one thing for WD drives and something else for Seagate and some say not to worry about it and others so to worry about it.

I figured I'd post here and get some other opinions. Should I replace the drive or is it ok?

The drive is shown as bad not because of the current temperature, but because the highest temperature the drive had was 62°C, which is definitely not a good operating condition. Whether you can still trust the drive depends mainly on how long the drive operated under this condition, but this cannot be derived from the smart data. This value will not reset, thus the drive will forever be shown as bad.

That said, if you have backups you can keep the drive, if it starts to develop bad sectors I would replace it immediately.

A couple of weeks I had 4 drives with the same issue.

The NAS showed SMART status error. Nothing wrong showed in SMART info.

Did some test using wd and seagate tools. Again no SMART errors but a couple of them had bad sectors.

By wednesday they were all dead. RMAed

A couple of weeks I had 4 drives with the same issue.

The NAS showed SMART status error. Nothing wrong showed in SMART info.

Did some test using wd and seagate tools. Again no SMART errors but a couple of them had bad sectors.

By wednesday they were all dead. RMAed

Eh if all 4 drives died at the same time there was something else going on that killed them. Temperatures or power.

Back