Smart Sam's Club Store Opening in Dallas Next Week

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Responding to the cashier-less concept store Amazon opened earlier this year, Walmart's subsidiary Sam's Club is opening a smart store of their own in Dallas, Texas. Instead of employing cashiers, Sam's Club Now will have "'Member Hosts,' who will act more like concierges." Purchases will be made through the Sam's club app, which will also have a map of the store and an "AI powered shopping list" that tries to guess what you want. The store is a quarter of the size of a regular Sam's Club warehouse, and is supposed to open next week.

More importantly, it will also include a new inventory management and tracking technology. Down the road, a system of over 700 cameras will be used to help the retailer manage the inventory and optimize the store layout. On the shelves, it's also testing electronic shelf labels that will instantly update prices, eliminating the need to print out paper signage. These are not third-party systems, the retailer says. "The vast majority of technologies that we're building here are technologies that we've developed in house. There may be pieces of modules of things that we're using from third parties. But the majority are systems that are building on the technology that we've developed here," said Jamie Iannone, CEO of SamsClub.com and EVP of Membership & Technology. "That allows us to iterate and move pretty quickly with it," he noted. By "quickly," the retailer means things can change in a matter of weeks. The store plans to rapidly iterate on new and different experiences across computer vision, A.I., A.R., machine learning, and robotics. The winners will then be rolled out to other Sam's Club locations across the U.S.

This is it! Computers are taking over!

Less jobs for regular people.
Vote with them dollars.

Eh...It's in Dallas. No one works up there anyway.

(NOTE: Just a little Houston/Dallas $h!t talk. No one get your panties in a wad)

Meh. Part of the fun of going to Sam's Club is the impulse buys. "Gotta get the giant package of toilet paper.... where is all the toilet.......... a 4 pound tub of cheese balls?! I need that!"

They can get bent if it requires installing an app to complete in-store purchases.

it's also testing electronic shelf labels that will instantly update prices, eliminating the need to print out paper signage

LOL i can see some fun being had with this. a bored staffer watching the cameras and as someone is reaching for the product... change the price and see if they notice. if they put it back.. change it back down again. if they pick it back up.. change it as they walk away..

hahaha

LOL i can see some fun being had with this. a bored staffer watching the cameras and as someone is reaching for the product... change the price and see if they notice. if they put it back.. change it back down again. if they pick it back up.. change it as they walk away..

hahaha

I'm pretty sure that Kohls has mostly digital signage for pricing.

348s.jpg

Less jobs for regular people.
Vote with them dollars.

I have been saying for years retail employees are simply a waste of money. When is the last time anyone actually was helpful? Just give me a directory I can search and I will find the product on my own. Hell I havent used a person checkout more than twice this year. Self checkout ftw. Faster and more efficient.

(NOTE: Just a little Houston/Dallas $h!t talk. No one get your panties in a wad)

I am not wearing any...

I have been saying for years retail employees are simply a waste of money. When is the last time anyone actually was helpful? Just give me a directory I can search and I will find the product on my own. Hell I havent used a person checkout more than twice this year. Self checkout ftw. Faster and more efficient.

I am not wearing any...

You nasty!

75% smaller when it's actually busy seems really claustrophobic to me, plus the cameras will be pushed to the limit. The Amazon one looked like it was pushing lunch options and some snacks, not stocking up on 4 pounds of potato salad or a giant jar of peanut butter pretzels like in the article.

Back