Smallest PSU I can get away with

ptrout

Limp Gawd
I am looking to build a caseless Mitx system.

Its just i3 2100 with a gigabyte h67 mb
1 sata3 HDD
4 gigs or 8 gigs of mem

nothing else, no video card, no dvd etc...no OC

Just wondering what is the smallest PSU I can get away with, smaller (size) the better.

Thanks guys

ptrout,

Don't exactly know what your full intentions for this build are, but it seems like a PicoPSU would work here? I'm running that same rig with an SSD and an HD 5570 and I'm having a hard time getting it over 100w.

I think with this kit here, you'd be very safe. click here

You mention caseless, but some of the cheap/cheaper mini-itx cases come with psu's(an example). The cost of these cases would be the same as buying a Pico or cheaper.

Best,

Liquid Cool

Thanks

Well almost caseless, I am building a skeleton case out of "Gilbert Erector Set"

Top and base being 250mm low rpm fans. So there is no case structure per se.

I checked that site out, seems perfect for my needs.
You said you were running the same setup with added graphics card, and the 120w seemed to fine ?
Would it make any sense to go 150xt or 160xt, since they are 24 pin vs 20 and maybe a bit more future proof if I add a vid card later on ?

Thank again for the info

Jay

You can run that on the lowest end 80W Pico PSU with 80W brick. The Core i3 2100T is a 65W TDP CPU and even the most power hungry desktop hard drives won't take more than 15W peak (only when spinning up).

How about using a Core i3 2100T? It is a 35W TDP CPU which guarantees low power usage and low heat output.

thanks guys

I ended up ordering pico 150xt with 108w brick,
I think 150xt was the lowest that supported 24 pin, so thought it would have a bit more life future wise.
$20 difference between low end and 150xt so that what I got, plsu gives me headroom for vid card if needed.

First time using PICO, crazy small.

Jay

Sorry it took so long to get back to you Jay...just checking in for the day.

I will mention, I'm running the 150XT as well. I don't like cutting it close on wattage. I usually try to keep what I think the maximum wattage possible will be to under 80% of the rated capacity of the power supply.

I think you made a smart move here in buying the 150XT...gives you room for expansion and just upgrade the power adapter later if needed, instead of both the adapter and the psu.

an FYI, my set up was idling at 21-23w before I put in the video card. I'm running the same motherboard, i3-2100, 2x2gb G. Skill ECO, and an Intel G3. When I added the HD 5570, it jumped up 10w in idle...then I added my 2nd monitor, another 11w. So, I'm idling at 43w to 45w currently. When I load a video game, I'm oscillating between 90 and 103w. No optical drive.

If you do feel like adding a video card after you check out Intel's GPU...the HD 6570's will be out later this month. Might be a good choice if you're wanting a decent low profile card.

Gilbert erector set eh? Might need to see some pictures when it's finished!

Best,

Liquid Cool

Back