Smallest-ever miniITX case with a full-height expansion slot

saprahan

n00b
Hello everybody.

I have found some interesting items on the market, which may help to built smallest ever steam box with market available parts.

So first of the case. Today I have stumbled upon one of the craziest cases I have ever seen. This is Morex Morex T3460-60 http://www.morex.com.tw/products/productdetail.php?fd_id=142

product_thumb.php

As you see it is as small as a usual mini-ITX-only case, but it has one interesting feature.
It has a full-height expansion slot. This slot maybe can be used for a discreete one-slot GPU, so lets reseach what can be fit inside )
142-5.jpg

I guess usual mini supplies like PicoPSU are not powerfull enough for discreete gaming card, but there is one that can handle it.
This is 250W HDPLEX with 6 and 8 pin PCIE power output
http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-250W-Hi-Fi-DC-ATX-Converter-16V-24V-Wide-Range-Voltage-Input.html
1.jpg

Ok, we have found a psu so lets continue with GPU. I can't find official internal dimensions, so I will try to estimate it.
By its pictures I can assume it can fit a card about 16cm length

Too bad, the most powerfull AFOX 7850 1-slot card is 210x100x18cm http://www.afox-corp.com/en/products_details.asp?proid=208&typeid=46&id=15

So I guess only R7 250 or GT 640 can fit this dimensions which are obviously useless for gaming
There are quite a lot of short <16cm GTX 650 but all of them are 2-slot. They can only fit this case with some hard tuning

Still this is good start. Also an energy-efficient GTX 750 Maxwell will come out soon which is slightly weaker than gtx 660. I am sure there is going to be a 1-slot short versions.

Summary to such a build:
+Smallest-evet case that has a full-height expansion slot
+There is a PSU for such a case that can power discreete graphics
- Discreete GPU should be really short. I guess only upcoming Maxwell can be usefull here
- Riser card should have a long cable
- GPU should be rotated fan-out and vent holes should be drilled to have a good cooling. This requires additional tuning and special instruments

Last edited:
are you sure you can fit a pci riser cable and other cables inside?

Yes. I have found owner's comment that he successfully put a PCIe TV-tuner card inside, so the riser card and wiring is not a problem here.

What is a problem is GPU size: 1-slot GTX 650 simply doesn't not exist. Still there are a lot of short 2-slot cards. I really hope there will be a short 1-slot Maxwell.

There don't appear to be any fans in the case. I wouldn't want to cram a GPU in there with no airflow, especially since you would have to stretch a PCIe riser cable across the entire motherboard.

There don't appear to be any fans in the case. I wouldn't want to cram a GPU in there with no airflow, especially since you would have to stretch a PCIe riser cable across the entire motherboard.

Of course you are right. In such a case GPU should be rotated to expose rediator/fan side to external panel.Vent holes also should be made

Since you are going to be cutting up the case and replacing the psu anyway, why not make a custom one from lexan/acrylic/plastic and put the card where you want it?

Since you are going to be cutting up the case and replacing the psu anyway, why not make a custom one from lexan/acrylic/plastic and put the card where you want it?

That's a good idea. maybe I'll go this way, because this Morex looks a bit ugly ))

Umm....I have an R250 and it isn't useless for gaming. It sits between a 6670 and 7750, closer to the latter.

It looks like the 7750 might still be the best option here. And that's available in a low-profile version and doesn't require any extra power cables.

yikes @ stacking a expansion card on the mobo (w/ a riser cable?) and no fans :eek:

and at 4.7L, it's a veritable chunker :D

Umm....I have an R250 and it isn't useless for gaming. It sits between a 6670 and 7750, closer to the latter.

Hi pcjunkie! Sorry, never ment to offend anyone. Actually I am targetting a very small but powefull enough stem box, which should support a FullHD gaming with a medium settings. So the card should be equal to GTX 660 or 7850. I am really eager to see the upcoming GTX 750 because it is going to be a little bit slower then 660, but should consume twice less power and require no additional power connector.

Back