Smallest case with a 5.25” bay?

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
Anyone know what the smallest case with a 5.25 inch bay is? Even cooler if you know a small case with 2 of them.

inwin efs series
but what are you putting in it/trying to accomplish?

The Silverstone KL06 linked above is 32L
They also make the SG02 and SG11 which are both 22.5L. There should be a few media center style cases (lay flat, about 5-6" tall but very wide and deep) which have one or two 5.25 bays, but I can't think of any off hand.

Note that the SG cases will be pretty tight to work in (though those look like they have a bit more room than my 10.75L SG06, looks can be deceiving). Since you'll be using the front bays, you'll probably not have as much room for a cpu cooler or gpu, depending on mb layout and case design.

Edit: The Apex is under 10L...wow.

Last edited:
The good news is a 4x2.5 unit isn't terribly deep.... but that's usually the deciding factor. So... if it has fans (for example) on the back.... it might push the depth.

I've got a dual RAID subsystem... but it's really deep. Almost as deep as some tape drive units.

Most cases just can't handle it, even the larger ones anymore.

A hot swap dock that sits in a 5.25 bay? It would honestly never occur to me that such a thing existed. One of the many things I like about lurking around [H]

You have the Lian Li 011 dynamic that has 4 hot swappable drive bays in the back. Might be bigger then what you want.

Lol that case is enormous. I think bigger than my full ATX workstation.

The good news is a 4x2.5 unit isn't terribly deep.... but that's usually the deciding factor. So... if it has fans (for example) on the back.... it might push the depth.
The 6x2.5 unit I have in one of my PCs has fans on the back and it's still shallower than the optical drive.

The 6x2.5 unit I have in one of my PCs has fans on the back and it's still shallower than the optical drive.
yeah, but you know, nowadays, not many people wanting even an optical drive. So cases might just leave room for radiator/fans.

The Silverstone KL06 linked above is 32L
They also make the SG02 and SG11 which are both 22.5L. There should be a few media center style cases (lay flat, about 5-6" tall but very wide and deep) which have one or two 5.25 bays, but I can't think of any off hand.

Note that the SG cases will be pretty tight to work in (though those look like they have a bit more room than my 10.75L SG06, looks can be deceiving). Since you'll be using the front bays, you'll probably not have as much room for a cpu cooler or gpu, depending on mb layout and case design.

Edit: The Apex is under 10L...wow.

The sg02 is pretty much designed to work with Silverstone's own nt-06pro cpu cooler (noctua has a similar model which should also fit). The positioning is such that that cooler's heat sink sits against the PSU fan intake. I've had a low-tdp build running essentially fanless most of the time with the cpu fan removed and a semi-passive psu in the sg02 and one for the parents in an sg03.

Last edited:
Back