Small Tweak in Logo Marks a Deeper Shift at Facebook

Wrong. I can guarantee the text on a logo doesn't mean a thing to me. As an example I usually buy off brands. I'm concerned with unit prices and product composition. If the ingredients are the same in relative quantities I buy the cheaper unit price product, I don't really care what the logo looks like. My primary concern is the product, the packaging doesn't matter (as long as it's sturdy enough to fit my transport and storage needs). I view prices as $/lb or $/oz., not $2.99 for a package.

It doesn't matter if you buy based off of price, your perception of the product will be affected, though.

A co-worker of mine has a masters in marketing. The research is there to back up what I'm saying, because I'm citing what he is paid to do for a living. Just because you by off brand for the PRICE, doesn't mean that you aren't subliminally affected by marketing, no matter what you think.

Didn't ebay do something similar going from their iconic icon to something very bland.

It doesn't matter if you buy based off of price, your perception of the product will be affected, though.

A co-worker of mine has a masters in marketing. The research is there to back up what I'm saying, because I'm citing what he is paid to do for a living. Just because you by off brand for the PRICE, doesn't mean that you aren't subliminally affected by marketing, no matter what you think.

Everyone think they're "too smart for that". But you're right. If you weren't, companies wouldn't spend tons of money on something irrelevant.

Guarantee things like this influence you more than you know.

I know, I know, you call shens...there is no way someone such as yourself could be so simple minded.

But the fact is, you're wrong, and it does influence you. Whether you want to believe it or not.

Just because a bunch of marketing people found out it works for the majority of people, doesn't mean it works for all. Sorry but it does not influence me.

lol. Okay. Keep thinking that. The fact that you're so particular about it not working on you probably means you're more influenced by it than the average person.

But you're a superior mind to everyone else. Congrats.

It influenced me to make more effort to avoid their site.
Hard to believe they think it is better.
It looks even more generic and boring lol.
Amazing what they will waste their time and money on.

Reminds me of a few years ago, the company I work for (B2B) changed their corporate logo, standardized on a font and color scheme to be used in all official communication. Don't know how much they paid a market researcher to do that, but we did have funds left over to last year upgrade our computers to Core 2 Duo running Windows Vista!

“Now that we are established, we set out to modernize the logo to make it feel more friendly and approachable,”
I'm surprised they didn't go for comic sans with a statement like that.

I don't think you understand me. I see the value of marketing for the average person, just not me. To help you understand my mentality better - I've eaten the same breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day for the past 4 years (with the exceptions of dinner at a family member's home or whatnot). I don't get tired of it - it meets the nutritional demands of my body in the most efficient/healthy way I've been able to calculate. If you'd like I could provide you with the exact and precise gram counts, etc.

I rationalize things differently than 99% of the population. Marketing in my mind is illogical and I do not personally relate to it. It tends to focus on flash, visual draw, and "being part of the cool club", etc. None of these things matter to me, I'm the extreme of the ultra-functionalist. You could have your marketing major pile up anything he wants in front of me for 8 hours a day and it won't make a difference. I quite simply don't care what he has to say.

I don't think you understand me. I see the value of marketing for the average person, just not me. To help you understand my mentality better - I've eaten the same breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day for the past 4 years (with the exceptions of dinner at a family member's home or whatnot). I don't get tired of it - it meets the nutritional demands of my body in the most efficient/healthy way I've been able to calculate. If you'd like I could provide you with the exact and precise gram counts, etc.

I rationalize things differently than 99% of the population. Marketing in my mind is illogical and I do not personally relate to it. It tends to focus on flash, visual draw, and "being part of the cool club", etc. None of these things matter to me, I'm the extreme of the ultra-functionalist. You could have your marketing major pile up anything he wants in front of me for 8 hours a day and it won't make a difference. I quite simply don't care what he has to say.

4 Years of chicken, a story of the same. Hehe.
If one of those food stuffs you eat are brand-name or marketed in any form, you could very well be the marketers biggest success, 4 years of eating the same thing, say hot pockets?
That being said, if you are not 'normal' no one is marketing to you, they are marketing to me, and man oh man, marketing works, a lot, even when I can catch it working in my mind, I might just buy whatever, you know 'cause I thought about it, and now I am curious.. it gives your life, you know, some color too, nothing wrong with that. So what I tried some crap I saw in product placement in a TV show.. It's quite alright. (I am not saying you don't have 'color' 'cause you buy nothing, and eat the same thing, I really don't care, to each his own I guess)

All that said, don't see the deal with the facebook crap.. but I don't care about facebook's crap at all.. that being said logos are extremely powerful.. Logos convey so much information at once (when done properly) its really impressive, I know 'cause on occasion I stop to deconstruct some a little.

lol. Okay. Keep thinking that. The fact that you're so particular about it not working on you probably means you're more influenced by it than the average person.

But you're a superior mind to everyone else. Congrats.

Nope, I haven't changed my mind on Facebook as a company one bit since I first heard about them. I'm particular about it not working on me as to point out my irritation with marketing as a whole, not just facebook. I stated clearly I understand why they do it, it does work on the "Majority" of people. However all of those studies will acknowledge that they don't work on every single person, I happen to fit in the category that they don't. I'm just stating my disdain for the tactic and contempt for the people that garbage works on. It has very little to do with facebooks basically invisible logo change.

4 Years of chicken, a story of the same. Hehe.
If one of those food stuffs you eat are brand-name or marketed in any form, you could very well be the marketers biggest success, 4 years of eating the same thing, say hot pockets?

Lots of chicken, oats, brown rice, beans, broccoli.

None of it name brand. Well, I take that back - name brand when it's cheaper unit price than the generic when using a coupon. I'm only interested in getting the product at the cheapest price by quantity, the label on the box is meaningless outside of communicating what is inside the packaging. Brown rice is brown rice, it doesn't matter who's sticker is on it - outside of the "paid" sticker, haha.

Nope, I haven't changed my mind on Facebook as a company one bit since I first heard about them. I'm particular about it not working on me as to point out my irritation with marketing as a whole, not just facebook. I stated clearly I understand why they do it, it does work on the "Majority" of people. However all of those studies will acknowledge that they don't work on every single person, I happen to fit in the category that they don't. I'm just stating my disdain for the tactic and contempt for the people that garbage works on. It has very little to do with facebooks basically invisible logo change.

I'm not, in any post, speaking specifically to or about Facebook.

Back