Small tubing (less than 3/8 by 1/2) and part advice

WarlordBB

Limp Gawd
So I've been out of watercooling for a LONG time but I used to be an aquacomputer fan. And IIRC, I used tubing that was smaller than the two prevailing US sizes, which I remember as 3/8 and 1/2. Also, as I remember it, back then people were starting to appreciate the more restrictive blocks.

<Actually just went and read Cather's tubing post and it was like a blast from the past>

So... I'm NOT trying to start a debate. I'm wanting to get back into WC and it looks like everyone and everything is pretty much 1/2 and the only real question people are asking is soft or hard. I'm sure I'd rather go soft (on tubing at least) while I get my feet wet (pun intended o/c) again. Also, it looks like I'm not going less than 3/8 ID 1/2 OD (10/13mm) unless I want to be sourcing from weird places. Is that true? Is there a common size smaller than 3/8 ID by 1/2 OD?

I've pretty much settled on EK block's, these:

EK-FC980 GTX Ti WF3 - Nickel – EK Webshop

EK-FB GA Z170X Monoblock - Nickel – EK Webshop

But I have no idea if those are even made to work well with smaller tubing so it may be a mute point from the start.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to use my Cooler Master HAF XB EVO case so I'm thinking a 280 rad and a 120 rad in series. I have no idea which but I was thinking maybe the Black Ice XFlow Cross Flow because I want to go out one side and back in the other.

I've got several never used pumps and rez's from back in the day but I may still buy new if things have changed enough.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I should have said I'm not going to be doing any major overclocking and may not overclock at all. I just want my parts to stay cool without running a wind turbine and I want my system to look cool, again, pun intended...

I personally use 3/8 ID 1/2 OD, no reason to go smaller, or larger, for my uses. Is there a reason you want to go smaller?

AFAIK there is nothing smaller that is common.

The D5 and DDC pumps really haven't changed at all. I'm still using a D5 pump from 2005. A reservoir does its job properly if it keeps the pump fed with water (when kept properly topped off). Nothing has changed about that, only aesthetics make a difference with reservoirs.

3/8" ID 5/8" OD is the ideal practical tube size. Large enough to not be restrictive, and the thicker wall allows for tighter bends without kinking.

fittings1.jpg
fittings2.jpg

I remember now why I'm interested in less than 3/8". I have LOTS of 1/4" geared parts from wayyyyy back. IIRC, I was using some sorta rigid 1/4" ID tubing (actually I think it was 6mm or such) that you just slid into those black and black and silver connectors and it just worked.

I'm starting to pull out all my old WC stuff and I'm realizing I have pretty much everything I need if I want to go 1/4" tubing, which I don't. Gonna post some more pictures in a bit because I need some advice. Some of my rads look pretty beat up...

Speaking of old watercooling gear, anyone have ANY idea if either of these two ancient set of blocks have any value? If nothing else, I'd rather see someone use them rather than just throwing them away. None of these have been used at all.

BFG-8800-WC.jpg

aquagraphix1.jpg
aquagraphix2.jpg

Those are aquacomputer aquagraphiX1800 blocks (I have 2 total) in the last 2 pictures.

Speaking of old watercooling gear, anyone have ANY idea if either of these two ancient set of blocks have any value? If nothing else, I'd rather see someone use them rather than just throwing them away. None of these have been used at all.

View attachment 1296
View attachment 1297 View attachment 1298

Those are aquacomputer aquagraphiX1800 blocks (I have 2 total) in the last 2 pictures.

Pretty much no real value other then their copper trade in value. One of the perils of watercooling, old outdated waterblocks; I have a drawer full of them.

Back