Small & powerful, but good battery life alterntive to 7490?

I bought a Dell Latitude 7490 a month and a half ago. Loved it. Loaded up the 32GB RAM I had, and it was nearly perfect.
Good screen, quad core, 32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe, 14" and less than 4 lbs while lasting 15 hours or so when I was using it for things over than virtualization (which I'd have it plugged in for). IR camera, fingerprint reader, Thunderbolt 3.

But, then I bought a cheap Dell Inspiron to game on. Crappy screen, crappy speakers, but amazing fingerprint reader. It got sent back, but made me think that maybe the FPR was bad on the 7490. I was going to have Dell take a look, since I had onsite support, but figured I was on day 29 of 30 of my return window, I should just send it back and maybe try again with some other model.

Besides, I had a Thinkpad P50 that was great at everything other than battery life, courtesy of my souping it up to be a portable server.

Well, I kept my eye out for a couple weeks, then hit upon a coupon, and figured I'd check to see if Dell had anything. I found something that seemed pretty similar to what I'd replaced. I bought it, and it just arrived.

It's the same computer I bought and returned. It has the same problem that caused me to return it too, so I really don't think they even tested the FPR.

Except, now I don't have that fallback Thinkpad. I sold it to get money for the workstation I'd hoped to buy. Threadripper, 64GB RAM, NVMe, 1080, etc. It'd be more powerful than the P50, and portability was going to be handled by the 7490. Or so I'd hoped.

Are there any other laptops that are worth looking at that let me have 2 DDR4 DIMMS so I can use the 32GB I'm sitting on? I'd like 14" or smaller. The 7490 was a 14" in the body of a 13.3". I want a good screen, but all the 100% Adobe RGB stuff I see is all 16GB LPDDR3 max stuff. I care more about FPR than I do IR Hello login, as I have a regular user and admin user. I can change my finger more easily than my face. Don't care about touchscreen; if I need that I can just use the Yoga 260 I have at work (and I very seldom do)

The closest I can find is a Dell XPS 15 or Precision 5000 series that's about the same size as the loaner 9470m I'm using, but I doubt it'll have the battery I'm looking for. And, it's definitely larger than I was hoping for.

Last edited:
Have you considered surface? Also visit Best Buy, Costco etc and check out the latest lineups...

Oh, we use those at work. Not a fucking chance. We have had so many Surface issues that I won't touch one. I'd give it back if it was given to me.

Back