Small Office Upgrade

Jon55

2[H]4U
I'll be doing IT work for a small office including replacing their network (wifi, router, switch, patch panel), setting up a couple of iPads, reformatting a couple of computers, setting up some new software (new version of Quickbooks, Acrobat), and setting up some other random peripherals (monitors, keyboard, mice).

I've made some very nice proposals for them, but not sure how to add in my time/charge for doing the work. Of course I want to make it worth my while, but at the same time I don't want to scare them away with some giant number. Again it's just a small office.

I haven't done any consulting work myself yet, but I would think that you would want to include your time with all of the other work and make it a flat fee. Try to figure out how long it would take you to do it, how much you want per hr, then make that your fee. If you complete early, good for you. If you take longer, good for them. just be sure to define the scope of work up front so you don't get scope creep.

I'm curious to hear what others say on this that have actually figured out how customers like to be charged. I'm basing my opinion above on how I would want it done if I were the customer.

You should get better help here.

Did you mean to post a link?
EDIT: Nevermind, just noticed that you moved the thread. Thanks!

I haven't done any consulting work myself yet, but I would think that you would want to include your time with all of the other work and make it a flat fee. Try to figure out how long it would take you to do it, how much you want per hr, then make that your fee. If you complete early, good for you. If you take longer, good for them. just be sure to define the scope of work up front so you don't get scope creep.

I'm curious to hear what others say on this that have actually figured out how customers like to be charged. I'm basing my opinion above on how I would want it done if I were the customer.

That's typically what I've tried to do, but I've yet to do a project of this scale (since I do this by myself).

I tend go guesstimate a bit, plus I vary the fee depending on if I'm going to get more work from the client down the road. If it's a 1-off deal, charge more. I'd 2nd or 3rd the flat fee. Your location, experience etc plays a big role in how much, so can't really help on that.

Back