small notebook with video card?

ccotenj

Gawd
trying to find a small notebook that can use a separate video card...

something like the gateway with the 14" widescreen (or smaller, but not too much smaller), but with non-integrated graphics... a good quality screen would be nice too, since it's basically going to be used for websurfing, streaming video and dvd watching... :) i want the separate video card because i'm concerned about "choppyness" on the streaming vid...

or should i even be worried about it? it's not gonna be used for gaming or any "power user" stuff, just gonna be used around the house for wireless web access and on trips for dvd watching...

ideas? comments? wise remarks? :)

I think the sony vaio S series laptops are the only ones that fit that criteria, although the newer alviso based ones only seem to have geforce 6200 cards, the older ones have mobile 9700 cards. I don't know of any other laptops in the sub 14" range that have decent video cards.

from what i've seen, choppiness of streaming video is mostly the result of a iffy network connection. the only reason to care a lot about video card beefiness would be either gaming or photo/video editing.

think i'm being overly worried about the graphics? again, this isn't gonna be used for games... it's primarily so i can watch the redsox on mlb.com while lying in my hammock... :D

them sony's are DEAR... they are nice... but they are something wicked expensive...

edit: oops, sorry briguy... so you don't think it will be an issue as long as my wireless connection is solid (which it should be, i tested it with my wife's laptop)...

i'm tempted by that gateway 3018 that is on sale at bestbuy for 849 right now... nice thing about bestbuy is that it can be returned easily if i don't like it...

Asus W3

Any PM CPU
Any Ram
Any HDD
X600 64MB Video
Gigabit Lan
Bluetooth
WLAN
the works!

has option for those glossy and bright screens

and where might one find one of these w3's? can't find it on any of the asus reseller sites? or even find anything other than on asus's website about it...

Back