Small Form Factor Keyboards

ryken

2[H]4U
I have a problem. I'm totally in love with the look of the happy hacking professional keyboard, but simply do not have the funds for it. I am wondering if there are any keyboards that are the same footprint in the ~$50 range. I don't need fancy switches or superior typing action, and wired is preferred. Backlit would be a must too. Doesn't need to be slim, just compact. Any ideas?

I think you will be hard pressed to find one at that price range sadly, the only one I can think of that is both tenkeyless and backlit is the Deck 82, but that's double the price you are looking at. Still, far less than the happy hacking.

grr, what if I suffered with a non-backlit one?
If you just want a compact keyboard without a numeric pad there are lots of options I think: Cherry, Enermax, Keysonic etc. If you can live with integrated num pad and 400mm width, that would open the options up a little more.

Full size keyboards: 460mm-480mm
Compact with numeric pad: 390mm-410mm
Compact without numeric pad: 280mm-300mm
Happy Hacking: 297mm

Illuminated keys is difficult with the low budget, but Perixx do have something compact with a numeric pad. Model 308 on the Lighting keyboards page: http://perixx.com/en/index.htm I'll add a warning with this, I tried a Perixx keyboard in a local store last year, the key action felt very cheap & nasty - Logitech's $20 Ultra-Flat keyboard is vastly better than the Perixx I tried.

That enermax looks nice. I'd go with another apple wireless (have one for docking my macbook to an external display), but am not sure I'd like a wireless one for gaming. Might have to just hold my horses for now.

Since you took away the backlit requirement, there's also the hhkb lite 2 keyboard.

That enermax looks nice
The Aurora Micro does exist as a wired version, I just had a quick look for it and it's $37 from Provantage. Edit: never mind, I see the one already suggested is the wired version.

Logitech Wii keyboard does apparently work on the PC, it is wireless but cheap enough to try it and sell on for minimal loss if you don't like it?

Last edited:
Back