Small Dell 2405fpw review with gaming test (from a hardcore gamer)

J-M-E

[H]ard|Gawd
Got my dell 2405fpw for christmas. Made a small review with gaming tests here

dscn01267zv4su.jpg
:)

Pretty good , I am going to buy one when the price drops when the 30'' comes out.

I think it's great that you're having some input, but plugging your own site for information that's readily available with a few clicks of a mouse that aren't even members of the forums...well...

Your review is too subjective, let alone bland.

So you played some games, big deal. What makes you a hardcore FPS fan? I'm a hardcore fan of 2% milk and eating apples. I'm also a hardcore fan of breathing. You have an SLI setup and a nice box otherwise. Whoop-dee-do. What sets you apart? We don't know you or your tastes.

Yes, it's a big, bright, badass monitor...that's been established, thanks.

This monitor passed my tests with flying colors.
Cool. Again...too subjective. No pictures either.

Check it out:

Feigned said:
My 2005fpw's pass my tests. lol They're so awesome it's like visual orgasms every time I flick the mouse around.

feigned said:
I'm a hardcore fan of 2% milk and eating apples. I'm also a hardcore fan of breathing.

ME TOO!!! Although I prefer oranges

hehehe, i got one too for xmas! I had to go out and get all of my other stuff though, since that was the only thing i got! lol... what video card are you running it on? I have two computers hooked up to it, my gaming rig via the DVI, and my server via the VGA. My gaming rig has an Ati x700 Pro 256mb, and my server runs a Ti 4800 128mb. I also have my PS2 hooked up to it via component (the red, blue green inputs right....?).

Anyways with the games that support the 16x9 support look good on the monitor, the others are really jaggy on the PS2.

Anyways i was worried about my x700 pro and my gaming, but so far it runs AOE III in native resolution, BF2 in the highest it will go 1600x1200 and it looks fine, i just get a little tearing, but its no big deal.

I love this thing! Its sweet!!!! Though i dont use the card reader i already have one in my computer i use.

oh my god i just bought three of these. NO BLURRING OMG MAKE THAT FIVE. I cant stand playing games on an lcd. Makes your videocard seem like its tregging through knee high mud. Nice review, a little biased however...I never noticed how particualar i am to blurring in games until i tried playing on an lcd. It sucks, badly

to any 2405 owners: is there any motion blur with the mouse cursor? or is it comparable with a CRT?

No bluring sure.. but input lag is still there...

Just wait until your initial infatuation with the monitor wears off and you start to notice that your reflexes in games just arent as snappy as they used to be. All of a sudden people will seem to be getting the jump on you when they come around corners fast. Then it wont be a very tough choice for you to go back to crt.

If you dont play games competitive you are fine, but otherwise stick to crt.

I play games allot like bf2 and cs:s and I am afraid to buy a lcd because of the input lag. I really want one though. I wish LCD makers would come out and explain the input lag and put a warning on the box or something.

Chewbacca said:
No bluring sure.. but input lag is still there...

Just wait until your initial infatuation with the monitor wears off and you start to notice that your reflexes in games just arent as snappy as they used to be. All of a sudden people will seem to be getting the jump on you when they come around corners fast. Then it wont be a very tough choice for you to go back to crt.

If you dont play games competitive you are fine, but otherwise stick to crt.

Well to each their own :)

I do play these games competitevly and I have noticed little difference in my in-game preformance when switching to an lcd.

Are you ppl real? I call BS on actually performing worse in games because you have an lcd.....that's just an excuse for being shite.

ffs....maybe those thick rimmed glasses need changing then you might be able to see properly.

OMG look my monitor is 100th of a FUCKING second out of sync.....that makes me die in any online game.

Get a grip :D

Tigerblade said:
Are you ppl real? I call BS on actually performing worse in games because you have an lcd.....that's just an excuse for being shite.

ffs....maybe those thick rimmed glasses need changing then you might be able to see properly.

OMG look my monitor is 100th of a FUCKING second out of sync.....that makes me die in any online game.

Yea for real haha, even if it does lag like one thousandth of a second, its not enough to make you bad....

Saying an lcd is not good for gaming is just an excuse for sucking :)

HOWEVER, I will not that when I had the games stretched out, my aim was really off...But changing the scaling to 1:1 fixed that

it's nice that people are finally writing their own reviews...but i have to take this with a grain of salt considering that you have grammer mistakes :\

Tigerblade said:

and an aperture grille crt if you wish to play games because lcd's are pretty crappy if you are a performance junkie. I bought an lcd, hooked it to my 7800gt (was using a sony trinitron before) and i wasn't impressed by the bluring. Its rather subtle, but its noticable. If you're used to the no-bullshit from a crt in games, switching to an lcd WILL dissapoint you. I shipped my lcd back (it was defective thank god). I will have about $500 to spend on a crt.

Its nice to see reviews by users, i just hope nobody buys based on someone elses opinions....

I've had 5 tft's and I gotta say I've never noticed ghosting or lag......

Must be me and my dodgy vision.

I didnt notice any ghosting or lag, but blurring was the epilogue. That was the first thing i noticed. Little plants in the foreground very rapidly skip as they move. They dont ghost, they dont lag. They blur. If you own an lcd, fire up a first person shooter. I used hl2. look, so you are perpendicular to a wall. Walk sideways, run if possible. Do that left to right, then incorporate lateral mouse movement as you're straffing. Sucks doesn't it? This is why LCD's suck for gaming. I dont care how many milliseconds it's rated at. You'll never escape the blurring, no matter how great someone tells you such and such panel is.

Edit one of your cfg files for FEAR and get perfect widescreen.

www.widescreengamingforum.com

The blur on the 2405 was a bit much for me. Shooting for 1920*1200 also got a little harder than I anticipated. Sold and replaced with a FW900 for now.

I don't really think LCD's are worse for gaming. I was having a discussion with one of my buddies about it, and he mentioned how this other guy we were playing CS:S with was soo good. He said, "He must use a CRT." Acually, he used a 15" 25ms LCD (Now with the Dell 2005). Personally, I think Plasma screens are the most kick ass gaming monitors =).

The monitor doesnt make the man :eek:

Im willing to deal with the small amount of blur, it doesnt effect my in game preformance at all.

johnnq said:
it's nice that people are finally writing their own reviews...but i have to take this with a grain of salt considering that you have grammer mistakes :\

anyone spot the irony :p ?

btw nice screen ;)

Tigerblade said:

Priceless, I mean really, all i have to do is drink one less beer and i am compentive as i was oin my sony CRT. lol :D

I notice a tiny bit of blurring on my lcd monitors strafing whilst running left to right against a wall on half life 2, not enough to affect my gaming though. What a shite excuse for not making the transition to LCD Gaming/computing lol, it doesnt affect my driving on need for speed most wanted when im doing 200 mph round a corner. I got some 15"-17" iiyama crts for sale if your so fond of crts!! They are just gathering dust, i reckon they are fucking shite all round, big, heavy,clicky, shitty on the eyes, man i hated those things, i had to knock a fucking wall down so i could fit my 20"crt monitor in my room! Id lose 10% of my office space if i had 4 19" crt monitors in there. I just use the 20" crt for weight training now!..........Just gonna have a blast on socom online on my 5 kg crt PSP for no bullshit gaming.....dont be offended, just having a laugh! ;)

Back