Small company wants a server for 2 users to log in remotely... sheesh.

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a small company that wants 2 users to log in remotely (with a possible 3rd by the end of 2010 and a 4th by Q1 of 2011) via Remote Desktop.

They have a small application that each user needs to use when logged in via Remote Desktop. They want both users to be able to log in from home or from anywhere else using their laptop.

I have access to a used SBS2003 R2 box and a used Server 2003 R2 box. The server comes with the original CoA sticker and original software. I can reformat the hard drive and use either of the two machines with a clean install of each.

Would you use the SBS or just the Server? They have no need for Active Directory or Exchange or anything else. If I use Server 2003 R2, do I need to install Terminal Services?

I told them that I'm no expert, but they would still like to use me and told me that they're okay with me looking things up or asking for help.

Thanks, guys!!

Have you considered using LogMeIn ? Its a real simple setup and good for non-IT professionals who don't want to have to configure routers, or firewalls.

will more than 1 user ever need to logon to the box at the same time?

if the answer is no, then a standard RDP connection to any desktop would work.

If yes, then terminal services will be required, along with the appropriate number of CALs

You could use the 2003 Standard box for two users to RDP. You get two concurrent "admin" RDP sessions with just the plain server. If you want three or more then you have to turn on TS and start buying CALS (expen$ive) for each user.

I just did exactly that for a customer, they wanted two remote users max (for now) so I did a cheap 2003 Standard box for them and it's working fine.

Now if you had an old Win 2000 Server box, the TS CALS are covered by the desktop OS license on that. Essentially "Free" TS CALS. You have to be careful that your apps are still supported by the old 2000 Server OS though, stuff like Quickbooks 2010 is not.

Edit: Note that SBS2003 will only give you the two admin RDP sessions, no TS server on SBS2003.

I've found some people confuse needing access to the server with needing access to the network. There's been a time or two when having a client installed locally on a laptop etc. remotely and using a vpn is good enough.

I've found some people confuse needing access to the server with needing access to the network. There's been a time or two when having a client installed locally on a laptop etc. remotely and using a vpn is good enough.

That's true... see what the need is first.

Just a VPN is fine for file shares, but don't try to do Quickbooks or any other heavy databse stuff over the VPN. RDP (TS) is the way to go on that.

Just the normal Server 03 box, and add TS to it.

Do the have a current server? Can the program work over VPN or only over RDP?

will more than 1 user ever need to logon to the box at the same time?

if the answer is no, then a standard RDP connection to any desktop would work.

If yes, then terminal services will be required, along with the appropriate number of CALs

Yes, more than 1 will need it... both of them at once and if, or when, they get a 3rd or 4th person, they'll want all of them to log in. But, yeah... I've been learning up on SBS 2003 and 2008 and when I tried experimenting on my own in-house one that I have set up at home, it only allowed me 2 users to log in... after that, it says it's blocked. After some reading, I read on microsoft.com that SBS will only allow 2 connections... it has something to do with the fact that they don't want users logging in into the AD server.

Have you considered using LogMeIn ? Its a real simple setup and good for non-IT professionals who don't want to have to configure routers, or firewalls.

LogMeIn will only support 1 user at a time... but, since each person has a desktop of their own, it's definitely a possibility... but, they're looking for something in-house, not using a 3rd party. But yeah... ever since I started using LogMeIn, I use it for my home computer and also to log in to some friends and clients whenever they ask for help.

You could use the 2003 Standard box for two users to RDP. You get two concurrent "admin" RDP sessions with just the plain server. If you want three or more then you have to turn on TS and start buying CALS (expen$ive) for each user.

I just did exactly that for a customer, they wanted two remote users max (for now) so I did a cheap 2003 Standard box for them and it's working fine.

Now if you had an old Win 2000 Server box, the TS CALS are covered by the desktop OS license on that. Essentially "Free" TS CALS. You have to be careful that your apps are still supported by the old 2000 Server OS though, stuff like Quickbooks 2010 is not.

Edit: Note that SBS2003 will only give you the two admin RDP sessions, no TS server on SBS2003.

Hmmm... is Win2000 still supported? Are updates for it still made or still available? How safe is it? Because from your post, it DEFINITELY sounds like a route to go...

Just the normal Server 03 box, and add TS to it.

Do the have a current server? Can the program work over VPN or only over RDP?

I do have the Server 03r2 running... but, when I tried playing around with it, it's asking for a Terminal Server to connect to in order for it to verify licensing or after 120 days it'll stop accepting client connections. Can the actual server machine that's running Server 2003 Standard be the TS licensing server, as well? I'll try to read up on it on Microsoft's website tonight.

That's true... see what the need is first.

Just a VPN is fine for file shares, but don't try to do Quickbooks or any other heavy databse stuff over the VPN. RDP (TS) is the way to go on that.

All they need is for the software to access a local database file that rests on the server (essentially nothing more than file sharing on the server to share the data file which is an .MDB file)

It's not QuickBooks... and yeah, I've seen how slooooooooow QB can be over the network... I tried connecting to a server hosting QuickBooks over a wireless connection and that was SLOOOOOW as f*ck.

I'm a beginner when it comes to VPN... I did have a Netgear FVS318v3 VPN router that I set them up with:
http://www.netgear.com/Products/VPNandSSL/WiredVPNFirewallRouters/FVS318.aspx

Don't they need a VPN client on their laptop/desktop?

All they need is for the software to access a local database file that rests on the server (essentially nothing more than file sharing on the server to share the data file which is an .MDB file)
They're just connecting an modifying a MS Access database then? How big is this database?

Don't they need a VPN client on their laptop/desktop?

They would need a vpn client on their machine they're connecting into the network with, yeah. Also a copy of access locally if that's what they're using. Looks like netgear has a vpn client application they would install on their machines to connect into that router for vpn access.

At one site I have 4 instances of XP pro running in virtualbox on a server 2k8 box to keep users from having a direct login session on the domain server. (The only downside was plastering the server box with 5 windows COA's) :p

The application they were running runs terribly over a slow network link (vpn) and is also fairly finicky about the host OS. This way on each of the client machines I just needed to setup a rdp settings shortcut that they could double click and log right in. I have the printing redirected to local printers and it keeps everything fairly safe (just need to do backups on the disk images on the server machine). The users can do all their internet stuff on the host machines (a hodgepodge of xp home machines) which keeps the POS system fairly safe from viruses.

Last edited:
hey, what I would do, Server 2008 for TSAPP. Set that up and publish just that one application on there desktop. That way they just can use the program and it will be very clean for them.

What is the current infrastructure?

Hmmm... is Win2000 still supported? Are updates for it still made or still available? How safe is it? Because from your post, it DEFINITELY sounds like a route to go...

I would shy away from Win2k.
support is almost dead for it, plus there's an unpatched TCP/IP exploit that will NOT be getting patched.

definitely sounds like you will (eventually) need a terminal server.
the Server OS only accepts a maximum of 2 concurrent connections, meant for administering the system.

as for how to set up the terminal services licensing server and all that jazz, I have no clue. Never done that myself.

If I were you, even before going this route, see about getting a VPN setup (since, well, you'd want to do that anyway to keep the TS box inside the firewall), and test out the speed of accessing the connection via VPN-only. Assuming you have enough licenses for the front-end application, anyway.

Would you use the SBS or just the Server? They have no need for Active Directory or Exchange or anything else. If I use Server 2003 R2, do I need to install Terminal Services?

I told them that I'm no expert, but they would still like to use me and told me that they're okay with me looking things up or asking for help.

Thanks, guys!!

Use Server 2003 R2 and TSWeb. No need to complicate things by using VPNs or third party software.

Back