Small Business Server Help!

Hi guys,

I work for a small company and as the most technically literate person here I have been charged with setting up the server. Its a Lenovo ThinkServer TS 130 with Windows Server 2012 Foundation. We need this server to do quickbooks, ECC, and Shipworks. We also have outside sales people the will need to get in out of office. I am not intimidated by the work but don't know where to start. If someone could help me out I would be incredibly grateful!

Thanks so much!

Call the vendors, they are your friends, if they won't do it for you, then they will at least send you the directions for installing/migrating.

Whatever you do...make sure there is some sort of backup system in place. RAID is not a backup. Everything will be hunky dory when you get that thing running, people will love you, but if something should fail you will be the first person they call and you better have at least up til last friday's information available to restore.

Lay out a precise plan of what all it needs to do.
Like K1pp3r said, involve the vendors if need be.
I know you said it needs to do Qbooks ECC and Shipworks, but are you sure it doesnt need anything else such as be FileServer, DHCP, PrintSErver VPN etc?

Last edited:
Hire an IT Consultant. Learning how to run a core server on the job isn't a good idea. You'll make a minor/major mistake and never hear the end of it.

Just food for thought the server is only good for 15 active users and it is not able to be upgraded to another version of 2012 if needed. I've used essentials and I would believe foundation is roughly the same to setup, so it should be easy to ready wizards for the most.

Hire an IT Consultant. Learning how to run a core server on the job isn't a good idea. You'll make a minor/major mistake and never hear the end of it.

Yea I gotta say I agree with the above. Get someone who knows what they are doing to do the base setup. It isn't hard to do but you can easily screw it up.

Just food for thought the server is only good for 15 active users and it is not able to be upgraded to another version of 2012 if needed. I've used essentials and I would believe foundation is roughly the same to setup, so it should be easy to ready wizards for the most.

Yea the wizards do most of the setup for you. The key with the sbs versions of server(which this is) is that if it can be done via the wizard to do it via it. You risk breaking the consoles if not. If you want to do it yourself OP go buy a book and read it first. Be ready to screw up and reinstall before you connect all of the machines.

Back