Small Business Backup Software

MrProd

n00b
Hello guys,

there are some small associated companies belonging to our main company. In my main company we're using NetBackup as an Enterprise Backup system. So in the smaller ones I just need a cheaper solution for Backing Up 1-3 Servers on each site. Most of the servers are fileservers only, so no special application- or SQL stuff needed.

At the moment we're using Backup EXEC 2010 for the smaller companies with an LTO 3 or 4 Tape Drive, attached to the physical Server (SCSI). The server used to be an ESXi 4.X host. Thats the point why I have a lot of troubles with Backup EXEC (as its not supported to route the physical tape drive through the virtualisation). But even in my test environment without virtualisation there are sometimes errors when backing up.

So are there any other cheap backup systems suitable for my environment? There is no disk storage planned in future, so I need a Backup 2 Tape solution.

cheers
Marc

What is your price range for:

Initial software purchase
&
Offsite storage per month
&
How much data are we talking about

Disclaimer: I work for NovaStor.

When talking tape backup solutions there isn't a whole lot out there right now for single server easy to use/configure/manage.

Your choices really are Backup Exec, Barracuda, and NovaStor in the SMB space when backing up to tape. Now if you want to move to enterprise class software and the expense of that there are a lot more choices.

I would suggest taking a look at NovaBACKUP Business Essentials Network:
http://www.novastor.com/en/software/sql-exchange-network-backup

This would allow you to install the software on each of the other sites that you have and then you could monitor and manage them all from a single web based console. You could also give login access with specific permissions to on site Admins if there are local admins at each site.

Shoot me a PM and we can talk about the solution or other solutions if you want.

Just FYI we have a solution to replace that NetBackup too if you are ever in the market. ;)

I was actually going to recommend NovaStor as well. The version I use is branded by a local company that host offsite backups, but it's still the same program.

Thanks for your answers.

@k1pp3r
Price Range should be about 1000 EUR a year. Just the software, no hardware. Data depends a lot on the site. Some sites running at 100GB for a Full Backup, 2 others are at 2TB for a full.

@AceXsmurF
The Software looks nice. Is there any support for a Tape Station through an ESXi host? So running the backup server on an virtual machine?

Yes you can run the backup software on a VM.

Truthfully I have not had any direct experience with passing through an HBA with a tape drive attached to it to backup to it, but as long as the VM guest can see and writer to it the software should be able to do it.

I'm a big fan of Storage Craft software, always been able to restore from it and do bare metal restores also. They have offsite vendors also you can find

Back