Slowest loading games of all time

Battletech (current game) has some really Sloooooooow load times.
I still remember the elevator load scenes in the original ME ... those were terrible too.

Battletech (current game) has some really Sloooooooow load times.
I still remember the elevator load scenes in the original ME ... those were terrible too.
The elevator rides were much shorter in the PC version than the Xbox 360 version. The length of time it took to get to the cargo bay on the Normandy would make you think the vessel had 40 decks.

The summoner and red faction on the ps2. 3 minute load times for a random encounter was annoying as hell.

Gauntlet legends on Dreamcast.

"You are now entering.............................................................................................................................................................the dragons liar"

GTA online. You cannot even lose focus or it will stop loading, so you have to painfully wait there with focus on the process....

GTA online. You cannot even lose focus or it will stop loading, so you have to painfully wait there with focus on the process....
I forgot about focus, least you can use steam browser (kinda).

DCS flight sim. You have to go through a few loading screens before you get into the actual game. Very annoying.

Was going to say this. Nothing can compare to the shear length and amount of loading screens you have to deal with. FFxv have stupid long load times when they happen.
I had to move FF XV to its own SSD for the size of the install and help reduce load times... Was terrible.. hah

Dragon Age Inquisition without an SSD.

Paris Dakar on C64, it took about 15 minutes to load, and would freeze if you used any kind of turbo cartridge.

Someone already said Sonic `06, so I'll say Dwarf Fortress; even with an SSD, saving a huge world with a long history is painfully slow.

Definitely GTA5 combined with their seperate launcher. Those damn updates too.

I'd get tired of going through those hoops when I just wanted to mess around in the single player mode so I just stipped playing it altogether.

It is fond times, I used to really enjoy that game. I think a version of it came out for the NES or maybe Sega Master System at some point later on that I had as well. Now I want to track a copy down. I only have a Vic 20 tucked in the attic these days though =D
I started to collect machines a few years ago when this "retro gaming" wasn't an issue and before everything got crazy expensive. I have 4 Sinclair spectrum 48k's, Amstrad CPC 464,CPC6128, Sinclair QL, spectrum 128k +2, +3, Philips NMS8220, CBM 64 slim and breadbin, CBM128, Amiga 500, Atari 520 STe, Atari 520STFM, Spectravideo SVI328....and of course a lot of drives and printers :) I'm sure I forgot something...but there you go. And a Sony 32" TV that was fun to carry home being bulky and 65-70kilograms.....but if you go retro, go full retard lol

The slowest loading times I experienced was with Nocturne back in the 90's. It was a horror game and had a weird loading screen. I would sit at my computer and stare at it waiting for the game to load. My mom once walked in the room and was like "why are you staring at that weird picture?". She definitely thought I was not right in the head :rolleyes:

Well, it wasn't as bad as GTAO, but I recall Thief 2 took a fair bit.

The slowest loading times I experienced was with Nocturne back in the 90's. It was a horror game and had a weird loading screen. I would sit at my computer and stare at it waiting for the game to load. My mom once walked in the room and was like "why are you staring at that weird picture?". She definitely thought I was not right in the head :rolleyes:
I remember that game, barely ran on my pc at the time. Don't recall loading times though.

Another old game that was slow as shit for me was Strife. Family pc was ass back then, took forever to load levels.

The original Witcher was also slow as hell until they patched it. Rocked raid 0 raptors back then and it still took quite a while.

Mortal Kombat on the Sega CD.
For that matter, almost anything on the Sega CD. It's just more noticeable with MK since it loads between every single 1-3 minute match.

I remember reading a Game Informer article back in the day where people were complaining about loading times for MK on PS1. Apparently whenever you transformed with Shang Tsung into another character it took like 2 seconds to load the new texture.

I also remember watching a friend play Chrono Trigger remake for PS1 and every time he went into the character inventory screen (which is a frequent thing in rpgs) it had like a 10 second loading time. It was painful to watch.

The current generation doesn't really understand long load times because they never had to deal with loading a game from tape. ;)
I used to have a Texas Instruments TI 99/4A and one of the highlights of that time was writing your own programs, saving them to an audio cassette tape and then playing back the cassette tape to hear your creation. ;)

Should start at 1:13.

Battlefield 2

First time level load when optimising shaders. You'd be waiting literally minutes, regardless of HDD speed! :eek:

Although it did mean you got to listen to some funky music...

No Mans Sky Launch version. Holy shit some people were stuck on it for hours, SSD or no SSD lol. It had to pre-build some sort of proc gen shader cache or similar. In effect, the longer you played the game, the faster it would go.
Great game after they sorted it out though :)

I remember reading a Game Informer article back in the day where people were complaining about loading times for MK on PS1. Apparently whenever you transformed with Shang Tsung into another character it took like 2 seconds to load the new texture.

I also remember watching a friend play Chrono Trigger remake for PS1 and every time he went into the character inventory screen (which is a frequent thing in rpgs) it had like a 10 second loading time. It was painful to watch.
Oh God I remember the loading for CT on PS1. The FF anthology was just as bad also. Made those games unplayable. With MK you had a option with Shan Sung and the morphing. Morph into any character would pause the game. It was mose like 5 sec. Or you could pre select 2 character and wouldn't pause.

The original release of Half-Life. Any PSX game. Fallout 4 honorable mention. Battlefront 2 is pretty frackin bad on my XBONE.

Kerbal Space Program with a few dozen mods installed via CKAN. The only thing that could make me throw my money (if I had it) at an Intel 900 series Optane drive.

Mass Effect 3 using Texmod with about 2GB of texture mods or so. That could take damn near 20 minutes to load.

Space Enigineers with 20-100 mods installed. You can have a nice meal and come back for it to load. (loads quickely when vanilla)

Skyrim on Switch. No idea why but it seems to take like 10 minutes for me.

Deus Ex - Mankind Divided takes over 5 minutes for me, even with a decent system and 16GB of ram.

Deus Ex - Mankind Divided takes over 5 minutes for me, even with a decent system and 16GB of ram.
It's no longer possible to avoid having an SSD for games. Unless you want those kinds of loading times.

For some reason the old Gold Box SSI AD&D games on my C64 stick in my head as the most painful loading times I've ever endured....

dungeons-and-dragons-gold-box-e1407768836296.jpg

Choplifter for C64. Took 45 minutes to load from cassette. Fire up load command ... Press PLAY on cassette drive ..... go eat dinner and do the dishes... come back and play all night or until the power clicked off.

Get off my lawn.

Back