Slow Xserve, need some ideas.

schizrade

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok quick and simple:

Dual Dual Core Xeon Xserver, 8GB FB DDR, 3 drive RAID 5. Purchased and improperly configd' before I arrived. Used mainly as a file server, never did this well at all, very slow. New LUN, New OS install, all set up, still slow as ass. Opening system prefs takes 30 seconds. My Blackberry is more responsive.

Any thoughts?

Have you checked to make sure your RAM is installed correctly? I would also check every disc in your RAID to make sure they are working... I think you would have better luck on MacRumors where they have dedicated forums for this thing.

What specific OS are you running on it? What year is it (2x2-core, 2006?)? Does it have a head?

I don't know if this would help, but have you reset the PRAM at all? I don't think it updates with a new OS install.

It's strange. Try cleaning your system cache(delete all content from /library/caches and /users/YOURUSER/library/caches), repairing disk permissions and reseting the PRAM(press Command+Option+R+P before your Mac start up).

I would ditch the raid5 for a mere 3 drive array, and mirror two drives and use the third for whatever.

Back