Slow Windows boot (after the desktop is loaded)(taskbar freeze)

This is a problem that I'm sure others must be familiar with. On any of my windows installs, on any computer a problem eventually arises; after boot, after the desktop has loaded, windows becomes almost unresponsive. This happens both on my XP and Vista machines. On XP, the whole taskbar will become completely unresponsive for maybe a minute; the start menu wont open, no taskbar icons will load in this time, taskmanager wont open in this time, nothing happens.

It would be one thing if the system appeared to be actually doing something in this time, but I don't think it is. Once it unfreezes the system finishes loading any startup apps as normal and things go on, but it is really annoying. What the hell is windows doing in this time?

Vista's behavior is similar, except the system will open whatever program you ask it to, it's just the two (or three) "system" icons in the system tray that dont respond. ie: you cant change the power plan, the little window will open, but is unresponsive (and same thing for the network icon)

I am posting both problems in the same thread because they seem related, but any help with either would be greatly appreciated. Even a "hey! I have that problem too!" post is appreciated, it would get more attention to this problem.

Also, just a note: I do not have a crap load of startup items or anything, and I do have all the latest windows updates and bla bla bla...

Back