Slow WiFi speed on rtn 12

outers

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, just trying to figure out if I need a new router or if I'm doing something wrong. I have an issue rtn12 and it won't do over 30mbps over WiFi which is really annoying since I pay for 75/15 internet. Just wondering if anyone could help. If you guys need any info about the router setting I'll be more than happy to provide them.

1. Make sure the device you are testing with has a wireless N or newer radio. Wireless G maxes out at 54MBPS with full signal.
  2. Confirm your PC/Laptop/device is negotiating a link speed above 75MBPS. Try standing directly next to the router for all testing to rule out signal penetration issues.
  3. Retest with a different device to rule out your test device as the issue.
  4. Make sure the router is set to broadcast wifi at its highest speed, (300mbps for your model) some allow you to only broadcast at lower speeds for compatibility. Some wireless routers also revert back to a lower speed when legacy wireless B/G devices are connected. May have to disable support for the legacy speeds.
  5. Update your router to the latest firmware to rule out firmware bug, retest
  6. Try disabling all QoS policies on the router, retest. I've seen stock QoS settings adversely affect speeds on the entire device.

That should help narrow down the issue.

The Asus RT-N12 is really old and uses the same SoC as the Asus WL-500gP. The WL-500gP maxes out at about 30-35mbit and if you overclock it to 300Mhz (which your runs at) it does about 50mbit tops wirespeed (most likely a bit less than that). In short, you need a new router.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WD...TF8&qid=1441435980&sr=8-1&keywords=TL-WDR3600

Is a great option and will do just fine, running OpenWRT on it makes it even more useful as you can run keep your firmware up to date and add additional features.
//Danne

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That is bizarre. They market it as a 300MBPS wireless N router. yet it only has 10/100 nic ports... I wonder how they plan to achieve 300MBPS over a 100MBPS circuitry. Nice one asus.

Back