Slow WiFi connection

M76

[H]F Junkie
I've had this problem for years, guess it never bothered me much, but it occurred to me now, to ask around.

So I have a Linksys EA2700 Dual Band wifi router. But the best speed I can get out of it is 72Mpbs. My laptop won't connect any faster than that. The laptop has a Ralink RT3090 802.11n WiFi adapter. It should support 150Mbps

But the speed won't go over 72Mbps under any circumstance even if the router is in the same room. and usually it is.

The router is running in bridge mode, since I only use it as a wifi access point.

Any ideas?

Log into the AP, and see what your slowest connecting device is. Turn that device off. Disconnect, and reconnect the laptop and see if it's any faster.

I've updated the firmware of the router, the new web ui is a terrible unstable mess. Regardless now it connects with 150Mbps, but the actual achievable throughput speed is still around 70-80Mbps. And this shit now crashes my also linksys switch. As soon as I start copying large files over Wifi to my laptop, the whole network crashes, and the only way to get it back is by restarting the switch.
And there seems to be no way to roll back the firmware.

I've updated the firmware of the router, the new web ui is a terrible unstable mess. Regardless now it connects with 150Mbps, but the actual achievable throughput speed is still around 70-80Mbps. And this shit now crashes my also linksys switch. As soon as I start copying large files over Wifi to my laptop, the whole network crashes, and the only way to get it back is by restarting the switch.
And there seems to be no way to roll back the firmware.

Replace it. :) Mini pc with dual nics, your existing switch and a unifi AP. A few hundred bucks, and you have enterprise grade, rock solid connections.

Replace it. :) Mini pc with dual nics, your existing switch and a unifi AP. A few hundred bucks, and you have enterprise grade, rock solid connections.
I'm already using a PC with dual nics as a router. So that's covered. It also has wifi, but I couldn't get it to act as an AP. That's why I got this router in the first place to serve as an AP.

I'll look into this UniFi AP. What's the range on one of those? It'd need to serve the whole house trough a concrete ceiling. Right now the signal is powerful enough so I can stream movies trough wifi to the downstairs living room.

I'm already using a PC with dual nics as a router. So that's covered. It also has wifi, but I couldn't get it to act as an AP. That's why I got this router in the first place to serve as an AP.

Then all you need is a managed AP, you don't need another router to act as your wifi device. https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Unifi-Ap-AC-Lite-UAPACLITEUS/dp/B015PR20GY/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1480446668&sr=1-2&keywords=unifi&refinements=p_89:Ubiquiti

To expand on the purposed setup: Modem -> WAN (Router) LAN (Router) -> Switch -> PoE Adaptor -> UAP

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back