Slow slow slow, need ideas.

narsbars

2[H]4U
PC Mate Z97, Win 7 ultimate. 3258 CPU. 8 gig, 2x4 gig sticks. When I try anything, even a defrag it just takes forever. The analyze portion of the defrag ran for an hour and never finished. 500 gig drive only about 10% in use.
Programs, like word start up and you have to wait just to be able to type.

Deleted nearly everything in programs and the MB is set for optimized defaults.

One issue, every time I start it I get a Windows says your drive is failing back up now. Ran boot time diagnostics and got no reports.

This is a backup to a back up machine so not too important but would like to get it going so I can sell it.

Sounds like you need to replace that hard drive and reinstall/restore from backup. That sounds just like a failing hard drive. Two things you can do to verify

Check event viewer, under Administrator Events, and look for disk errors under Sources. You should see some disk errors in there if your drive is failing, but not guaranteed.
Best thing you can do is run a diagnostic tool from the manufacturer. Seagate Seatools has been my go to tool for quite a while now.

Sounds like you need to replace that hard drive and reinstall/restore from backup. That sounds just like a failing hard drive. Two things you can do to verify

Check event viewer, under Administrator Events, and look for disk errors under Sources. You should see some disk errors in there if your drive is failing, but not guaranteed.
Best thing you can do is run a diagnostic tool from the manufacturer. Seagate Seatools has been my go to tool for quite a while now.

Great, DUH, never thought to check the event viewer. I will grab the appropriate tool. Thanks for the help.

Back