Slow Powerline speeds

4RunnerTE

Limp Gawd
Hey all, I realize that powerline adapters can be a bit hit or miss depending on the wiring in the house, which outlet you're using, etc...but I was wondering if I could get some help.

I have 60 Mbps internet and up until now, only one powerline adapter (TP-Link AV1200) in the home that was being used to connect my PC on the 2nd floor. It works flawlessly, full bandwith, no issues whatsoever. The PC has been moved around upstairs a couple of times and I've used the adapter on 2-3 different outlets, all give the same excellent speed.

I recently added two more to the home (TP-Link, but the AV2000 model, it's all the local MC had at the time), one to the main TV downstairs and another to the PS4 upstairs. Each one gives horrible speeds of like 2-3 Mbps when wired, but 40-50 Mbps over wifi (this is while using each independently, no other network traffic).

1). The adapters all light up green indicating an "ok" outlet, but did I just happen to plug into the two unfavorable ones? Unfortunately I can't lug either setup to another outlet to test....well I could but I'd have to get off my lazy ass and move a bunch of stuff around.

2). Does it matter that I'm mixing two different powerline models? They're both TP-Link, but just diff rated speeds.

Thanks!

Think I may have figured out what the issue is.

When I plug the router into either the AV1200 or AV2000 adapter...the device on the other end of the same corresponding powerline adapter seems to get the full bandwith...and the other ones get shafted. I tried multiple different combinations and it seems to hold up true, regardless of outlet or device. Seems odd since both models are TP-Link and support the same standards. Will try to see if I can return the recent AV2000 set and find another AV1200.

For anyone interested, getting matching powerline adapters all around fixed the issue completely.

Back