Slow network transfer speeds < 2mps

adrift02

Limp Gawd
I am trying to transer a bunch of backed up files between to computers. Both are on XP pro now (though it was slow with both win2k and only 1 win2k). One is connected over wireless (linksys srx @54 mbps 100% connection), the other is directly hooked into the router. The router is the gateway for dhcp from my modem. The router is a netgear wgr614v5 (runs at 54mpbs obviously limiting my 100mpbs adaptor).
Anyways, my transfer speeds are terrible. The lan computer (which is only a 1.3 cpu, 512ram) shows only around a 12% network usage in task manager, the wireless computer only shows 12-25% network usage in task manager (this one is a 3.2 cpu 1gig ram). I doubt the speed of the slow computer is the problem because using DU meter on the uploading machine (the 3.2) its only uploading at a little over 1 mb/sec. Ever since I got these computers hooked up they have transfered slow, even when I was using a netgear rangemax adaptor for the wireless (instead of the srx). Oh and it doesnt matter which way I am transfering, it ends up the same.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Oh and I am using a zonealarm firewall, but I already allowed the computers in the trusted zone (had to to get them to connect) so I doubt thats the problem.

Correction to my post. My speeds a little over 1 mB, not mb. In researching some more I found that wireless is only expected to transfer at 2 mB. Is this correct? So am I possibly just reaching the max of my 54mbps wireless?

Back