Slow LAN file transfer: Vista-initiated, to or from

rygy

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I have a Windows MCE PC and a Vista PC connected via wired CAT5 through a D-link DL524 router. If I initiate a file transfer using the Vista PC from the MCE PC to the Vista PC or from the Vista PC to the MCE PC the transfer will only go to about 3MB/s. However, if I transfer the same file using the MCE PC I get much faster rates, maximum about 80 MB/s.

It doesn't matter which directio the transfer goes; if it is initiated by the Vista PC it is slow, if it is initiated by the MCE PC it goes fast.

What could be causing this slowness on my Vista PC? Is there anything I can try to get it to acceptable levels?

Thanks.

I found that even transferring a file between two networked drives on the MCE PC using the Vista PC I get slow LAN speed as well. The file wouldn't be moving from the network drive, to the local drive, then back to the other network drive, would it?

So you have the same problem but instead of Vista giving you problems, Windows Server 2003 is?

I noticed the problem when I was unable to play a ripped DVD on the MCE PC which was stored on my networked RAID disks connected to my Vista PC. I got jittery playback. The other day however, I was able to play a movie flawlessly across the network but now it is back to playing jittery.

Back