Slow Comcast cable

pcMan

Limp Gawd
I've searched the forum and everyone seems to be very happy with their comcast cable speed.. I just upgraded from 1.5mb dsl to 3.0mb comcast cable but I'm getting nowhere near this speed. In fact, the 3.0mb cable connection is much slower than the 1.5mb dsl connection. Has anybody else had this problem and solved it successfully? Thanks...

1.5Mbit Bellsouth DSL
bellsouth.JPG

bellsouth2s.JPG

bellsouth3s.JPG

3.0Mbit Comcast Cable
comcast.jpg

comcast2s.jpg

comcast3s.jpg

your speeds on comcast could be do to the fact that comcast likes to over-satrate their network, and that causes bad speeds, but for the most part cables speeds are bursty so if you try your test later, you might get better speeds. but you could always call comcast and complaine but i dout it would help at all.

If your town/city has a lot of people who subscribe to comcast cable broadband, that slows down connections since everyone's sharing the same bandwidth with a cable connection. You don't share bandwidth with DSL lines.

So yeah, you'll have to try the speed test again at some other time, since your connection speed varies as more or less people are using the bandwidth.

I have Comcast at home, and I get maybe 400 KB/s down, and 30 KB/s up. The upload speed is crap.

I witnessed alot of this when I worked for Charter. The first thing I would suggest is call tech support and get yourself to competent Level 2 tech. Good luck with that one. If you are able to get over that hurdle they should be able to find out what the proplem is. Almost everytime I saw this it was a signal to noise problem on the line and could be fixed by sending out a tech (or two or three). I am not going to lie, if Comcast support works anything like it did at Charter you could be in for one hell of an uphill battle.

thanks.. I think I'll just call and cancel and keep my DSL since I'm in the trial period cause I don't have 30 hours to wait on the phone waiting for technical support to answer me. I called yesterday about something unrelated (my modem couldnt get a stable signal and thus couldn't connect to their network until I found out the splitter was bad) and spent 4 hours on the phone. I wanted to get rid of my phone and get VoIP but with that speed I don't think it will work, it'll all be too slow. I'm just gonna wait until tomorrow and see if it fixes itself somehow..Thank you.

used to have comcast it plain out sucks COX is way better I have a 4 meg stream and get 500k dl all the time

broadband=sharing bandwith with neighborhood=you could have someone in you neighborhood that downloads movies all day bottlenecking the system=that's why a lot of people get kicked off of the broadband downloading too much

dsl=no sharing of bandwith

is it possible to just cancel your comcast cable at any time with no EXTRA costs / penalties?

thanks

wazzup said:
is it possible to just cancel your comcast cable at any time with no EXTRA costs / penalties?

thanks
idts...it really depends on the contract you have w/ Comcast...call their billing hotline and talk to them and find out...

pcMan said:
I've searched the forum and everyone seems to be very happy with their comcast cable speed.. I just upgraded from 1.5mb dsl to 3.0mb comcast cable but I'm getting nowhere near this speed. In fact, the 3.0mb cable connection is much slower than the 1.5mb dsl connection. Has anybody else had this problem and solved it successfully? Thanks...

1.5Mbit Bellsouth DSL

3.0Mbit Comcast Cable

I don't have an answer to your problem, but i do know what you're going through. When i was living on campus at SDSU in an apartment complex, i could not use my Cox cable (4mbit/512kBps) connection until midnight or later cause the area was so loaded. I was big time into games at the time, and pings would go from 20ms to 1000+ms lag spikes. It was unplayable. My downloads were slightly better, but still were way less than what i get on the other 10+ cox connections i've been on in the San Diego area. I would call cox almost every other day complaining about it, they would put me through to teir 2/3 support right away after the first 10 times i called cause they knew i would be sending them trace routes showing them the slow down on their networt ect and the first guy you talk to doesn't know much if anything about what's going on, it's all being read from his guide. I had techs out every week because i demanded a straight forward answer to why i was getting such crap speeds, but above all, it was the spikes that really killed it. Bassically the teir 1 tech guys will tell you to reset the modem, yadda yadda and get you no where. The teir 2 guys will request trace routes ect and they'll straight up tell you they know what the problem is, and their hands are tied, most of the time (Cox anyways) i was on the phone with guys in Las Vegas, NV. I bassically got my internet for free in the year i was there. I would call "Customer Care" have them pull up my account, they would see the never ending calls i made (i would call in the middle of the night so i didn't have to hold) and they would credit my account for "down time" as they called it. Bottom line is, if your node is oversold you aren't gonna get anywhere with it. I did this dance for over a year without results. I have lived or LAN'ed on 10+ Cox connections and i never have seen the same problems that i had at that apt. To this day i still think it was the people in my area that caused the problems, cause you could track the spikes with when people were at class, asleep, ect. It was always best on Friday and Saturday night cause no one was home to download from kazza. In any event, i've talked enough, good luck man.

Back